2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

C55 AMG 5.4L V8 5-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )

2006 C-Class Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
C55 AMG = 'A' 'M'onster in your 'G'arage
By yablo

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

This car is fast! Let me rephrase that, it's VERY fast. The car should be driven for fun, not for comfort or fuel economy. The ride is very stiff, but that's what you want in a sports car. Don't bother looking at the mpg's (11-14 city, 18-22 hway). Interior build quality seems below my old 1997 C230 which is a bit disappointing for a sedan that msrp's for 60K. There is a lot of plastic on the dash, and most controls feel cheap to the touch. But who cares? This car is FAAAAAST!

Favorite Features

Brutal acceleration! Unique front end that looks like the CLK. Sleeper look. The instrument cluster is pretty nice, and interesting since it doesn't follow the traditional Mercedes center speedometer look.

Suggested Improvements

Operating a moon lander is probably a simpler task than to figure out how to enter an adress in the NAV system. The AMG seats, although look very cool, are not very comfortable, especially on long trips. Interior materials and build quality are worse than the C- Class 10 years ago.

"iron fist in a velvet glove"
By fooe

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I originally bought this vehicle because my wife would not let me buy a E39 M5 due to the manual transmission, so I had resigned myself to a life of commuting boredom without my beloved 3rd pedal. "At least I'll have the big V8 to listen to while I wait for the transmission to catch up to my right foot" I thought. Well, I was wrong. The AMG SpeedShift is extremely impressive in daily use; it is very rarely in the wrong gear and is tuned for an enthusiast driver. Sport mode is very entertaining and Comfort isn't a blatant sacrifice to the EPA mileage gods. This, coupled with the prodigious amounts of torque and deep exhaust note, make for an entertaining drive even in traffic.

Favorite Features

I never thought I would say it, but I really like the auto trans. I also like the engine, exhaust note, precise steering, high quality interior materials, and firm but comfortable suspension. The understated looks help you blend into traffic, at least until you floor it and can't hide the V8.

Suggested Improvements

Don't bother with the nav system; it is very outdated and hard to use by today's standards. The sound system is average at best, unfortunately. Just turn it off and listen to the engine instead.

My first AMG
By doorman

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my C55AMG from a friend and I am very happy that I did. Incredibly fun to drive, has a sports car feel with a European sedan look. It is a real sleeper except to those who know AMG, and I am surprised how many people know AMG. Ride is a bit stiff but the handling makes up for it. I'm getting 22+mpg on the road and 19mpg around town if I'm not on the gas.

Favorite Features

The sedan look with all the power under the hood and the low rumble the exhaust makes.

Suggested Improvements

I got what I wanted. I am 6' tall so it would have been nice to have a handle to grab to get in and out of the car. Once in place it's great though.

Perfect combination
By Jacques Dermosessian

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

The combination of the engine power relative to the body size & weight makes it just perfect! I have always disliked Mercedes shapes especially interior, but the C55 made me become a fan of Benz. I enjoy most the low profile exterior of the C55 that only specialists know what's going on inside that car. in sum, I like the mixture of luxury & sportiness of the C55 AMG. Last car was Audi A8 4.2 quattro, and the stability of the C55 when ESP is off gives you real adrenaline rush on turns because it is really designed in a responsive way and is willing to coop by the second with the driver's style. With all due modesty, you have to know how to drive the C55 to take out the cars frustration !

Favorite Features

All of it

Suggested Improvements

Wish it came with more horsepower--- 500hps applied to that car, and I would be driving it for the rest of my life...

C55 AMG very fast!
By Emoney

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

What can I say?This car is a dream come true. The power is right there when needed, and the ride is firm but still forgiving. I have always owned trucks, and this car is smooth all around. I still drive my truck for work, and I cant wait to jump in the C55. Everytime I drive it I have a silly grin from ear to ear. I love the fact the car is not flashy, but the quad exuast does give it away.

Favorite Features

The car is a sleeper until you use the power of the hand built AMG motor. The exhuast tone is wonderful. Good stock radio and nice leather interior. The AMG logo in the front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Touch sreen nav system. Ablity to play DVDs.

Superman of cars
By van001

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Very stealthy by looks. Looks like another C class on the block but when you press hard on gas it becomes super car ;) . I like its underdog appearance which does not attract attention everywhere I go but folks who knows about AMG and see quad exhausts, they know it's a beast. Gives the feeling of a race car when you need, comfy compact 4 seater rest of the time. Wifey get 22.5 mpg and I get 16. So it keeps everyone happy.

Favorite Features

Paddle shifter, nice leather interior (not like cheap C/E class one), good stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation is way too old. 2k and no touch screen and voice activated is a joke (but hey wife wouldn't buy without one). Now she hates it too. The orginial grille is pretty lame (had to replace it with CLK)

Fun Car
By Steve

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

This car is very smooth. I don't tend to use the car as hard as I did my 540 with a stick but the power and performance is there. Certainly it has a stiff suspension but I have found it civilized. Interior is confortable and functional. I love some of the details like contrasting stitching and suade details on the seats. Basically, if you want a really civilized car that can has heavy duty performance underneath the surface this is a great choice.

Favorite Features

Engine, performance, interior

Suggested Improvements

I'm very happy, if car has bluetooth I have not found it. Also, gas tank is a little small for how fast this car uses up gas. Tank warning light is not obvious and I have gotten close a couple of times.

Fun car
By Gary Daugharty

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I am retired and wanted a own a car that would be fun to drive and purchased the C-55 AMG model. I drive it to San Diego twice a year a distance of 1300 miles each way and will drive for a period up to 12 hours a day.I enjoy the drive and never get stiff or sore from the long hours. The car looks and runs great with all the power I need. I get lots of compliments on how good it looks.

Favorite Features

Power, Power, Power, and I can put the rear seats down and load my full size bicycle in the trunk and carry all my luggage.

Suggested Improvements

Comand system is too complicated.

It looks good!..
By Elvira Weyhetton

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

When I saw this car I knew I had to have it.. The drive took some time to get used to but after a few months, I fell in love with my C55. Very fast, very Mercedes-Benz like. Only downfall is that this car must have a sport driver. I took my 84 year old grandmother to a wedding and she said she hated the ride, but it looks good!!!

Favorite Features

The body of the car!

Suggested Improvements

Softer leather, get more luxury for your money while having sport too.

C55 Amazing Power - Everything else????
By flatout7

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Nothing else can compare this this car's power. That is about where it ends for me. Within two weeks of delivery the remote access FOB features quit working and the radio was in a constant state of static and random on off behavior. A warranty trip to the dealer and the radio was fixed and they said the keyless access was fixed as well. The keyless access quit working two days later and this was followed by a HUGE transmission fluid leak in my garage and a mysterious flapping sound coming from the engine compartment. Back to the dealer again. They advised they leak in the tranny was a common problem and they could not find the mysterious noise after numerious attempts.

Favorite Features

Power. That is it.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality and reliability of this auto was a HUGE disappointment. I have returned the car to the dealer for a complete refund. I had read about the present state of Mercedes' quality control problems and now I am a believer. A new BMW is on order. I am done with the Benz's.