Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Great car for under 20k
By seanj76

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this Mercedes Benz C230 Sport edition after owning a 94'C220 for 12 years. My old 94' didn't age so well, the transmission had issues and engine lost most of it's power early on. I had driven a few of the 2006-2007 C's as loaners and I fell in love with the C230 sport 2.5 V6 automatic. Great change from the earlier 4 cyl Kompressors! I got this car for $19,300 with 22k miles Certified from Motorwerks of Barrington, IL. I didn't have to haggle much either, I bought this car on Black Friday 2008 when NO ONE was buying cars due to the recession. Black on Black fully loaded, and I mean loaded- GPS, 10 speaker surround Harmon Kardon stereo, seat warmers, full power seats, leather, etc

Favorite Features

Car amazingly has a decent amount of horsepower 201@6,200rpm. Shifts smooth in C mode and snappy in S mode. Gets 21mpg city and 30mpg hwy. 7 speed automatic has few issues, although in the colder weather it's slow to warm up due to the trans-cooler and occasionally lags. This MB handles like a cart! I've road raced this car and pushed it to its limits. It's a very attractive handling 6 cycl. Has had one minor recall in 7 yrs that Iv'e owned it, a camshaft wire harness, they installed it free of charge during a routine B maintaince.

Suggested Improvements

Don't get me wrong for a sub $40k MB C class this car has everything a person could want. MB could of made some transmission flashes to the cpu for when the car was colder, to shift more "on time" I've had the transmission serviced at 42k and mechanic assured me that it looked and ran perfect. They always resort to the same line "Adaptive Shift Functionality" which is suppose to adapt to however the person drives. Maintaince is as expected..expensive but as the saying goes if you can afford a Benz then you can afford the maintaince!

Transmission Problems Right After 4 Years
By itsats

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This was the first time that I purchased a brand new car. It has been nothing but problems since owning it. In addition to costly regular maintenance, I have had to replace brakes, rotors twice, tires need to be replaced often, the power steering pump went out, and shortly after 52,000 miles I began having transmission problems. It continues to start in a higher gear creating lag when I push on the gas. Other times, it will not automatically upshift and stays in first gear. In ordet to override the problem, I pull over, turn off the car, and then restart again. I will NEVER purchase a MB again.

Favorite Features

I originally was interested in this vehicle because of the exterior design. Although a little small, I love the design of the interior. It does get good gas mileage, but needs premium fuel.

Suggested Improvements

Recall due to transmission problems.

A Fun Little Car
By rayro

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We have had this car for 3 years now. I have found it to be a reliable, fun car to drive. Fit and finish is outstanding. The car moves out smartly and the ride is smooth. Service at the dealer has been very good in spite of the service prices. Its about time to replace a second car, and I think I'll take a look at the E-class.

Favorite Features

I like the 7 speed transmission and paddle shift, the sun roof, the paint job.

Suggested Improvements

A few more horsepower would be appreciated.

44,000 miles and stuck in 2nd gear
By sousame

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have babied this car! freeway mostly easy on the gas pedal ext... first the trans would randomly be stuck in 3rd gear as im driving. I would have to stop turn the key off then restart. I was going to take it to the dealership soon but now i cant even do that it wont shift into anything but 2nd or reverse or park. very very very disapointed in this high dollar vehicle. will be even more so if there is not a recall on this. i didnt blow my bank account and pay cash for something that wont even last me 44,000 mile.... will update soon with my results....

Suggested Improvements

Transmission needs a recall this is ridiculous

Nice Ride but -------
By BamaBGone

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Overall nice car but breaks all around at 24K seems like poor quality. The car is babied and goes on country drives for the most part. I work from home so a trip to the store 2/wk. Now my wheel bearing is making noise with just 24K.

Favorite Features

Styling, rims, 7-Speed,

Suggested Improvements

Put quality breaks in to start with! A fold down seat should be standard and so should an I-pod hook up and some form of paint protection up front.