Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 221 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Many Repairs
By strollershopper

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Luxury Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this '05 4Matic certified pre- owned two years ago. I have never had a car which was this new, in the shop as many times as this! Valve cover blew, problems with the automatic window/sunroof "summer" feature in the door handle, voltage regulator replacement after dash lights kept dimming, differential replacement, and now, knocking in the front end. Interior feels cheap, radio is absolutely horrible. "Leather seating inserts" are a crafty way of saying "mostly vinyl." Loud clunking of windshield wipers, and blasting loud defroster which first makes the windows totally fogged up, then clears them. Go figure with that one.

Bad things aside, it drives great and is actually fun to drive. Decent in the snow with no problems.

Better climate control system, sound system, quieter windshield wipers, dependability. For such a little car, fuel economy could be a lot better.

Best yet
By Oaklandish

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've owned 10 cars and this car keeps delivering me smiles. I've gotten 35 mpg on the way to la. I consistently get 27 mpg. This car meets all my needs and more. I bought this car used with 40k miles and it has 55k miles on it now. Carfax report says car has had transmission work done. Tranny sometimes stays in first if car is cold then shifts roughly. This is a rare occurrence.

mpg gauge, auto sensing wipers, great stereo sound, great handling, eats up bumps, very safe. spectacular car. If you smoke when it rains, the wipers push rain into the car.

no dipstick, no aux jack to plug in my ipod/iphone. trunk is kind of small. rear legroom is poor.

Great car if you can keep tires on it.
By sae185628

I bought this car when it came off a dealer lease. It has been a pleasure to drive and gets great gas mileage 26- 30mpg. It is stylish and easy to navigate the controls. The only downside I have seen is replacing the tires every 10,000 miles. It doesn't matter if you put Michelen or Kumho, you get the same results. I have had it aligned and the mechanic says this is an issue with all Mercedes and BMW. You sacrifice comfort and cornering for tires. The brake dust is horrible, you constantly have to clean your wheels.

Styling, gas mileage, easy to navigate, fun, fun, fun to drive

Fix the rear end so you don't have to put tires on it all the time. Put ceramic pads on to reduce brake dust.

Sleeper economy car
By td

This car is a blast to drive and gets great fuel mileage. Average driving I get around 24.5 mpg back and forth to work (some city and some hwy) and during road trips I have gotten as high as 36 mpg. This blows away my old Taurus and this one is actually fun to drive and fun to be seen in! Bought mine used with 36k and now have 52k on it. At the last service had to have the drivers door switch panel replaced because the truck switch rattled in tune with the music (had to fight a little to get covered under warr), dealer also replaced center speaker and then replaced the cylinder head due to excessive carbon, all under warranty. Love the car and love the dealer until I see the cashier!

Looks, the C230 looks like a sports car, were as the C240 looked like a German Cadillac. Fuel mileage. Love the engine. Ride and handling are just right.

Improve the transmission shifting (auto) and better quality speakers (I listen a normal levels) Accessories should be more reasonable. Ipod integration kit was $600 installed. Make bluetooth standard.

Best Car I've ever owned
By aquilank

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Luxury Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

My main features: Noise and MPG. Almost no wind noise, very little road noise, and slightly more engine noise. Quieter than my 1995 Lexus ES 300, yet not nearly as quiet as the 2007 ES 350 I test drove. Best mpg in its class (compact luxury vehicles). I routinely get 26+ mpg on the freeway and 20-23 in town. It has tighter German suspension than the US and Japanese cars I've been driving and it accelerates smoothly and quickly. All in all, its the most fun car I've ever driven. I actually go out of my way to find longer routes because I enjoy driving it so much. Cons: $200 for 1 key, $2000 to use the installed phone, $500 to hook up my ipod. Ridiculous! Even Cobalt has this free.

Exhilarating drive, reasonably quiet, looks great, inside and out, great mpg for a compact luxury car (one of the best in its class).

MB rips you off on the proprietary aspects! $200 for 1 extra key, costs $2000 to use the phone features, $500 just to hook up your ipod. This stuff is standard on even the cheapest cars being built currently. Dealer repairs are extremely expensive.