Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Just Crashed and survived
By markp_92647

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 Kompressor Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

We loved our C230 2005 Kompressor, decent all around car. slightly expensive to maintain, but thats not unreasonable for this type of car I write this review today for 1 reason, i flipped the car 2 x and took out a light pole on the freeway @ 60 in the rain both my lovely wife and i walked away with some very minor bruising and sore muscles, the car is totaled, all 10 air bags burst and i believe this saved us from a lot of trauma. I rate this car an 10+ for safety, if you saw it after the wreck you would have been amazed, a lesser car would not have done so well, writing this at home 24 hrs after the crash is amazing best to all

Favorite Features

i survived , and decent gas, and everybody is impressed it's a mercedes

Suggested Improvements

none

Many Repairs
By strollershopper

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Luxury Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this '05 4Matic certified pre- owned two years ago. I have never had a car which was this new, in the shop as many times as this! Valve cover blew, problems with the automatic window/sunroof "summer" feature in the door handle, voltage regulator replacement after dash lights kept dimming, differential replacement, and now, knocking in the front end. Interior feels cheap, radio is absolutely horrible. "Leather seating inserts" are a crafty way of saying "mostly vinyl." Loud clunking of windshield wipers, and blasting loud defroster which first makes the windows totally fogged up, then clears them. Go figure with that one.

Favorite Features

Bad things aside, it drives great and is actually fun to drive. Decent in the snow with no problems.

Suggested Improvements

Better climate control system, sound system, quieter windshield wipers, dependability. For such a little car, fuel economy could be a lot better.

Best yet
By Oaklandish

I've owned 10 cars and this car keeps delivering me smiles. I've gotten 35 mpg on the way to la. I consistently get 27 mpg. This car meets all my needs and more. I bought this car used with 40k miles and it has 55k miles on it now. Carfax report says car has had transmission work done. Tranny sometimes stays in first if car is cold then shifts roughly. This is a rare occurrence.

Favorite Features

mpg gauge, auto sensing wipers, great stereo sound, great handling, eats up bumps, very safe. spectacular car. If you smoke when it rains, the wipers push rain into the car.

Suggested Improvements

no dipstick, no aux jack to plug in my ipod/iphone. trunk is kind of small. rear legroom is poor.

Great car if you can keep tires on it.
By sae185628

I bought this car when it came off a dealer lease. It has been a pleasure to drive and gets great gas mileage 26- 30mpg. It is stylish and easy to navigate the controls. The only downside I have seen is replacing the tires every 10,000 miles. It doesn't matter if you put Michelen or Kumho, you get the same results. I have had it aligned and the mechanic says this is an issue with all Mercedes and BMW. You sacrifice comfort and cornering for tires. The brake dust is horrible, you constantly have to clean your wheels.

Favorite Features

Styling, gas mileage, easy to navigate, fun, fun, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Fix the rear end so you don't have to put tires on it all the time. Put ceramic pads on to reduce brake dust.

Sleeper economy car
By td

This car is a blast to drive and gets great fuel mileage. Average driving I get around 24.5 mpg back and forth to work (some city and some hwy) and during road trips I have gotten as high as 36 mpg. This blows away my old Taurus and this one is actually fun to drive and fun to be seen in! Bought mine used with 36k and now have 52k on it. At the last service had to have the drivers door switch panel replaced because the truck switch rattled in tune with the music (had to fight a little to get covered under warr), dealer also replaced center speaker and then replaced the cylinder head due to excessive carbon, all under warranty. Love the car and love the dealer until I see the cashier!

Favorite Features

Looks, the C230 looks like a sports car, were as the C240 looked like a German Cadillac. Fuel mileage. Love the engine. Ride and handling are just right.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the transmission shifting (auto) and better quality speakers (I listen a normal levels) Accessories should be more reasonable. Ipod integration kit was $600 installed. Make bluetooth standard.