2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
A Tiger on the Road
By sgbmedia on 08/19/14 15:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 Kompressor Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 2005 C230K at 67,000 mi for $13,000 three years ago and just turned 165,000 mi and am very pleased with it. I drive between Phoenix, Los Angeles and Las Vegas weekly and it has really never let me down. Plenty of kick from the supercharged 1.8L 4 cyl engine and the slap shift auto trans is great although it tends to over rev when putting it through extreme shifts at 70mph+.

The Best Used Car You Can Purchase
By everettbarnes on 08/06/12 11:21 AM (PDT)

Bought this car used for 13.5K in 2010 with 60K miles. Surprisingly at this price point in 2010 other cars of different brands did not come equipped with side airbags (Chevy, Ford, etc.) excluding BMW which was more expensive and Asian cars which I wouldnt touch for fear of build quality. Even though this car is the entry level model of Mercedes build quality is unreal. When you shut the doors you feel like you are in a concert hall. Very good audio, hardly any rattles, incredibly solid and heavy door feel and overall what you expect from true German engineering. Next comes the drive.. Oh My Gosh. The supercharger kicks in at very low RPMs and the steering is tight and precise.

Great car but w/typical euro bugs
By vadersv8 on 12/07/11 14:17 PM (PST)

I've had this car for about 3 mo's and bought it used with 78k and so far it's been a decent car. My gripe is mainly the lil buggy issues. 1. Driver side front parking lamp went out, now it's working again. 2. Instrument cluster stopped working however the center digital center gauge is working fine and the dash lights still work. In other words, all the needles are at 0. It's an excellend drive and it's pretty quiet on the road/freeway but Mercedes is suppose to be a well made automobile, but with little annoying things like this coming up it could potentially make the driver not want to purchase this brand of car again. Ps: This car has automatic trans.

Maintenance Queen
By floridafordleo on 12/14/10 07:07 AM (PST)

Had car since it was new. 2005 Mercedes C-230 Kompressor. Don't get me wrong the car is beautiful and is a jet when it comes to ride and handling but thats not what we use it for. The car is a daily to work and back car and every now and then a road trip maybe one state over. it seems like every week there is some expensive service that needs to be done on it. The car eats tires due to a poor suspension geometry, and you have to change the brakes every 20k miles it seems like. The car leaks oil and constantly showing error messages. I pride myself at maintaining my cars but I cant seem to stay on top with this one. Getting rid of it as soon as possible. 90k on it now.

Just Crashed and survived
By markp_92647 on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

We loved our C230 2005 Kompressor, decent all around car. slightly expensive to maintain, but thats not unreasonable for this type of car I write this review today for 1 reason, i flipped the car 2 x and took out a light pole on the freeway @ 60 in the rain both my lovely wife and i walked away with some very minor bruising and sore muscles, the car is totaled, all 10 air bags burst and i believe this saved us from a lot of trauma. I rate this car an 10+ for safety, if you saw it after the wreck you would have been amazed, a lesser car would not have done so well, writing this at home 24 hrs after the crash is amazing best to all

Best yet
By Oaklandish on 01/17/10 14:50 PM (PST)

I've owned 10 cars and this car keeps delivering me smiles. I've gotten 35 mpg on the way to la. I consistently get 27 mpg. This car meets all my needs and more. I bought this car used with 40k miles and it has 55k miles on it now. Carfax report says car has had transmission work done. Tranny sometimes stays in first if car is cold then shifts roughly. This is a rare occurrence.

Great car if you can keep tires on it.
By sae185628 on 11/04/09 10:00 AM (PST)

I bought this car when it came off a dealer lease. It has been a pleasure to drive and gets great gas mileage 26- 30mpg. It is stylish and easy to navigate the controls. The only downside I have seen is replacing the tires every 10,000 miles. It doesn't matter if you put Michelen or Kumho, you get the same results. I have had it aligned and the mechanic says this is an issue with all Mercedes and BMW. You sacrifice comfort and cornering for tires. The brake dust is horrible, you constantly have to clean your wheels.

Sleeper economy car
By td on 10/21/09 13:39 PM (PDT)

This car is a blast to drive and gets great fuel mileage. Average driving I get around 24.5 mpg back and forth to work (some city and some hwy) and during road trips I have gotten as high as 36 mpg. This blows away my old Taurus and this one is actually fun to drive and fun to be seen in! Bought mine used with 36k and now have 52k on it. At the last service had to have the drivers door switch panel replaced because the truck switch rattled in tune with the music (had to fight a little to get covered under warr), dealer also replaced center speaker and then replaced the cylinder head due to excessive carbon, all under warranty. Love the car and love the dealer until I see the cashier!

My second C230
By jtm1085 on 02/25/09 07:47 AM (PST)

I've been a Mercedes Benz driver since my 19th birthday. My first was a white/black 2003 c230 Kompressor 1.8L. I loved this car so I was hesitant to buy another car, and refused to buy anything other than another Mercedes. My black/black sedan is quite comparable. When I first got it I often had to remind myself that I was driving a new car (as the interiors of the kompressor coupe and sedan are essentially identical). I sprung for the leather this time, but chose xenons instead of seat heaters. The xenons are ridiculously bright. love them.

Awesome
By asiafish on 09/22/08 11:21 AM (PDT)

Fast, fuel efficient, stylish and supremely comfortable. This is my second C class (previous 2001 C240) and is by far the nicest car I could find with 30+ MPG highway.