2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Best Car I've ever owned!
By Steve B on 08/31/10 21:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Kompressor Rwd 2dr Sport Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love this car, it is not the fastest car I have ever owned but is more than fast enough. It is not the best MPG car I have ever owned but gets far better mileage than any other car I know of with similar performance. It turns heads even though it is a 5 year old design, I love the Mars red color. I haven't had it long enough to really evaluate reliability, but have talked to several owners who have had now significant problems including one who's daughter has been driving one since she got her license and with 156k on it still loves the car. Mine is a one owner and has only 40k miles on it, it looks, drives, and smells like a brand new car. My Mileage has averaged about 20 city, 30 hwy.

Great Car with exceptional balance!
By MB lover on 07/02/10 12:35 PM (PDT)

Bought it used at 13k miles in 2/2006 and it's 62K now in 6/2010. No problem whatsoever (but I don't race or abuse it though, always garaged), solid and well-built, it's powerful when needed (thanks to the Supercharger), fuel economical when driving conservatively (4 cylinder topped 36mpg in 2 hour trip on secondary hwy with A/C set to 1, backseat fits 2 adults almost 6 feet tall (my car pool). Panoramic roof fills the car with openness, trunk is so roomy and practical with both backseat folded down, styling is subjective (just the right balance- I love it!)

My Outlet
By genesisthree on 12/23/08 11:21 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C320 Rwd 2dr Sport Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is a high performing car. I feel I can and will take anyone on the highway. The passing power is splendid. I like the fact that i can choose Comfort or Sporting and the tranny responds to the way I drive.When I am in Comfort it is a more plesant ride withthe supension but cornering and speed is sacrafice. It is still fast with this in mind.It encourage others around you to (especially out dated Hondas) to attempt to compete. Most on the road will let you pass or won't cut you off because it's a Mercedes and they can tell it's fast. I have the black coupe which looks sweet. I get looks and the car washers love the car. I like the Panny roof and the sound systems is awesome. I love my car!

A fun to drive fuel efficient hatch
By Dmitry on 10/21/07 07:20 AM (PDT)

Wanted to share with everyone my experience with the 2005 C230 coupe. Bought the car when it had 17000 miles from a Nissan dealer. So far have put 11000 more miles. No problems at all. Best of all the fuel economy on the car is superb. I usually get 300-320 miles out of a tank combined city/highway driving. And I live in NYC. That should say a lot. Car has great handling, not very fast, but I think it's because I have an auto, not a stick. Nonetheless for someone who wants a Benz that is compact, problem- free and fun to drive I really recommend the car. One other feature I like is that it comes from factory with a sport exhaust. Has that nice low sound when you accelerate. Thank you

Not a Single Problem in Over a Year!
By tweeze on 04/04/06 13:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C320 Rwd 2dr Sport Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my C320 Sport Coupe for 14 months now and have never had any problems. The only time it has gone to the dealer is for it's first oil change at 1 year - that I find amazing in itself! Service is only required every 13,000 miles or 12 months. Very fun to drive, very good road-holding. Dealership has treated me like a king. I was a little apprehensive to buy a Benz because of Consumer Reports giving them a bad rating. My personal experience, though, has been this is the first new car I have ever owned that has never had to go to the dealer for any adjustments or fixes. Talk about a carefree ownership experience!

Interior Leather Quality
By sonny on 03/20/06 02:09 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C320 Rwd 2dr Sport Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Great car but few problems since I bought the car. Engine is excellent. Interior leather is not of a good quality especially arm rest and center console-peeling. Other small problems such as sensors malfunctions.

My favorite car
By Nicky on 12/02/05 22:51 PM (PST)

This is the best car I have ever had. I love getting into it and driving it every day. This is my second one. I bought the first one two months before, but some one rear ended me on the freeway and smashed my car into the car in front of me. My first one was totalled, but I was not hurt. I replaced it with the exact same model and even chose the same color, Iridium silver. I am sure this wonderful car saved my life in that accident. We have 3 Mercedes C-230 coupes in our family. I wish Mercedes would continue making this wonderful car forever.

Early in the life of the new Benz
By x MINI COOPER on 11/29/05 00:50 AM (PST)

The C230 replaced a 2002 launch edition MINI cooper. The C230 is a much different car, more comfort, no where near the razor edge handling of the MINI. MINI had reliability problems from day 1. Service could never fix the issues. MB dealer treated the customer fairly with respect, unlike MINI service. Leagues more power than MINI, darn near the same mileage.

Smoke and Mirrors
By SHANE on 11/10/05 00:36 AM (PST)

If you want to waste $30,000 then this is the car for you. I traded in a KIA Rio and thought I was taking a huge step up but I was mistaken. In the 6 months I have had this car it has been in the shop 7 times for various problems including alignment problems, electrical glitches with the ESP system, transmission and the lost goes on. The car is full of squeaks & rattles. I wish I had been smarter and purchased a car based on it's actual merits not on the logo on the hood. Save yourself $10,000 and countless trips to the dealer and buy a Honda or Toyota. Mercedes is only a name now. There is NO quality behind the shiny hood emblem in my opinion.

Over rated
By RWM on 10/23/05 12:34 PM (PDT)

I purchased the C230 Sport Coupe to replace a 2000 Mitsu Eclipse. Big mistake. The Benz has a pretty face, but is a dog to drive. With a slow- shifting transmission and poor cornering,the fun-to-drive factor is on a par with an inexpensive Japanese or Korean car. Quality is a concern also, with problems with the SRS system; alignment; rattles etc. Last week I cut my losses and traded for a 2005 Honda S2000, which is getting about the same mileage. With the car being over-rated and over-priced, I wouldn't recommend a Benz to anyone at this point!