Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

A Tiger on the Road
By sgbmedia

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 2005 C230K at 67,000 mi for $13,000 three years ago and just turned 165,000 mi and am very pleased with it. I drive between Phoenix, Los Angeles and Las Vegas weekly and it has really never let me down. Plenty of kick from the supercharged 1.8L 4 cyl engine and the slap shift auto trans is great although it tends to over rev when putting it through extreme shifts at 70mph+.

Favorite Features

The 1.8L V4 engine with 6 speed auto trans.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality front brakes. The stock brakes need to be totally replaced @ 30,000 mi including rotors.

The Best Used Car You Can Purchase
By everettbarnes

Bought this car used for 13.5K in 2010 with 60K miles. Surprisingly at this price point in 2010 other cars of different brands did not come equipped with side airbags (Chevy, Ford, etc.) excluding BMW which was more expensive and Asian cars which I wouldnt touch for fear of build quality. Even though this car is the entry level model of Mercedes build quality is unreal. When you shut the doors you feel like you are in a concert hall. Very good audio, hardly any rattles, incredibly solid and heavy door feel and overall what you expect from true German engineering. Next comes the drive.. Oh My Gosh. The supercharger kicks in at very low RPMs and the steering is tight and precise.

Favorite Features

Incredibly smooth ride due to long wheelbase. Accurate and smooth transmission. Steering wheel controls. Safe feeling while driving.

Suggested Improvements

If you purchase this car BE PREPARED to spend 1000's at the Benz dealership or take the time consuming but far less expensive route of home maintentance. Owning this car for 40,000 miles I have had to replace the alternator, and change all the fluids routinely as well as constant brake wear maintenance. Just yesterday the tensioner pulley broke which is common at 90K-100K miles which is sad but I still love this car. After 4 hours and 200 dollars the car will be good as new and will run strongly for another 10,000 miles until some other finicky thing breaks. Oh well like I said the more repairs the more I love this car. :)

Great car but w/typical euro bugs
By vadersv8

I've had this car for about 3 mo's and bought it used with 78k and so far it's been a decent car. My gripe is mainly the lil buggy issues. 1. Driver side front parking lamp went out, now it's working again. 2. Instrument cluster stopped working however the center digital center gauge is working fine and the dash lights still work. In other words, all the needles are at 0. It's an excellend drive and it's pretty quiet on the road/freeway but Mercedes is suppose to be a well made automobile, but with little annoying things like this coming up it could potentially make the driver not want to purchase this brand of car again. Ps: This car has automatic trans.

Favorite Features

handling, suspension, rear shade, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

electronics.

Maintenance Queen
By floridafordleo

Had car since it was new. 2005 Mercedes C-230 Kompressor. Don't get me wrong the car is beautiful and is a jet when it comes to ride and handling but thats not what we use it for. The car is a daily to work and back car and every now and then a road trip maybe one state over. it seems like every week there is some expensive service that needs to be done on it. The car eats tires due to a poor suspension geometry, and you have to change the brakes every 20k miles it seems like. The car leaks oil and constantly showing error messages. I pride myself at maintaining my cars but I cant seem to stay on top with this one. Getting rid of it as soon as possible. 90k on it now.

Favorite Features

seat warmers

Suggested Improvements

Suspension issues. Give me a engine oil dipstick so I can check it!

Just Crashed and survived
By markp_92647

We loved our C230 2005 Kompressor, decent all around car. slightly expensive to maintain, but thats not unreasonable for this type of car I write this review today for 1 reason, i flipped the car 2 x and took out a light pole on the freeway @ 60 in the rain both my lovely wife and i walked away with some very minor bruising and sore muscles, the car is totaled, all 10 air bags burst and i believe this saved us from a lot of trauma. I rate this car an 10+ for safety, if you saw it after the wreck you would have been amazed, a lesser car would not have done so well, writing this at home 24 hrs after the crash is amazing best to all

Favorite Features

i survived , and decent gas, and everybody is impressed it's a mercedes

Suggested Improvements

none