2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
A Tiger on the Road
By sgbmedia on 08/19/14 15:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 2005 C230K at 67,000 mi for $13,000 three years ago and just turned 165,000 mi and am very pleased with it. I drive between Phoenix, Los Angeles and Las Vegas weekly and it has really never let me down. Plenty of kick from the supercharged 1.8L 4 cyl engine and the slap shift auto trans is great although it tends to over rev when putting it through extreme shifts at 70mph+.

Nothing but problems
By tiaguessa on 05/06/13 14:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Luxury Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Since we purchased our c-class it's been a horrible experience. Engine had tapping noise since day one, dealership said that knocking / tapping noise is normal. It leaks like crazy, you can smell oil buring in the car. We have replaced the rear main seal ($1300.00), valve cover gaskets ($650.00) and now the transfer case has to be replaced, $3000.00. Still smells and leaks. We came from Acura to MB because I have owned several older MB's and loved them but we wanted a new one. The dealership is the worst, Chevrolet dealership disguised as a MB dealership. The car is total junk, never own another one. Going to back to Acura.

Love it Love it Love it
By kalvin97gagt on 09/15/12 00:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this car about 3 months ago used with 37k miles from the 2nd owner. It's what you expect from a german car, tight and solid but yet refined while hugging the road like a sports car. The ride is perfect, not harsh and not too loose like other non AMG models. The engine roars you through the rpm range and makes a great sound. The car is plenty quick, but it would be a monster with the 5.4 Supercharged version found in the E55

The Best Used Car You Can Purchase
By everettbarnes on 08/06/12 11:21 AM (PDT)

Bought this car used for 13.5K in 2010 with 60K miles. Surprisingly at this price point in 2010 other cars of different brands did not come equipped with side airbags (Chevy, Ford, etc.) excluding BMW which was more expensive and Asian cars which I wouldnt touch for fear of build quality. Even though this car is the entry level model of Mercedes build quality is unreal. When you shut the doors you feel like you are in a concert hall. Very good audio, hardly any rattles, incredibly solid and heavy door feel and overall what you expect from true German engineering. Next comes the drive.. Oh My Gosh. The supercharger kicks in at very low RPMs and the steering is tight and precise.

Great car but w/typical euro bugs
By vadersv8 on 12/07/11 14:17 PM (PST)

I've had this car for about 3 mo's and bought it used with 78k and so far it's been a decent car. My gripe is mainly the lil buggy issues. 1. Driver side front parking lamp went out, now it's working again. 2. Instrument cluster stopped working however the center digital center gauge is working fine and the dash lights still work. In other words, all the needles are at 0. It's an excellend drive and it's pretty quiet on the road/freeway but Mercedes is suppose to be a well made automobile, but with little annoying things like this coming up it could potentially make the driver not want to purchase this brand of car again. Ps: This car has automatic trans.

Maintenance Queen
By floridafordleo on 12/14/10 07:07 AM (PST)

Had car since it was new. 2005 Mercedes C-230 Kompressor. Don't get me wrong the car is beautiful and is a jet when it comes to ride and handling but thats not what we use it for. The car is a daily to work and back car and every now and then a road trip maybe one state over. it seems like every week there is some expensive service that needs to be done on it. The car eats tires due to a poor suspension geometry, and you have to change the brakes every 20k miles it seems like. The car leaks oil and constantly showing error messages. I pride myself at maintaining my cars but I cant seem to stay on top with this one. Getting rid of it as soon as possible. 90k on it now.

Just Crashed and survived
By markp_92647 on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

We loved our C230 2005 Kompressor, decent all around car. slightly expensive to maintain, but thats not unreasonable for this type of car I write this review today for 1 reason, i flipped the car 2 x and took out a light pole on the freeway @ 60 in the rain both my lovely wife and i walked away with some very minor bruising and sore muscles, the car is totaled, all 10 air bags burst and i believe this saved us from a lot of trauma. I rate this car an 10+ for safety, if you saw it after the wreck you would have been amazed, a lesser car would not have done so well, writing this at home 24 hrs after the crash is amazing best to all

Best Car I've ever owned!
By Steve B on 08/31/10 21:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor Rwd 2dr Sport Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I love this car, it is not the fastest car I have ever owned but is more than fast enough. It is not the best MPG car I have ever owned but gets far better mileage than any other car I know of with similar performance. It turns heads even though it is a 5 year old design, I love the Mars red color. I haven't had it long enough to really evaluate reliability, but have talked to several owners who have had now significant problems including one who's daughter has been driving one since she got her license and with 156k on it still loves the car. Mine is a one owner and has only 40k miles on it, it looks, drives, and smells like a brand new car. My Mileage has averaged about 20 city, 30 hwy.

Great Car with exceptional balance!
By MB lover on 07/02/10 12:35 PM (PDT)

Bought it used at 13k miles in 2/2006 and it's 62K now in 6/2010. No problem whatsoever (but I don't race or abuse it though, always garaged), solid and well-built, it's powerful when needed (thanks to the Supercharger), fuel economical when driving conservatively (4 cylinder topped 36mpg in 2 hour trip on secondary hwy with A/C set to 1, backseat fits 2 adults almost 6 feet tall (my car pool). Panoramic roof fills the car with openness, trunk is so roomy and practical with both backseat folded down, styling is subjective (just the right balance- I love it!)

Many Repairs
By strollershopper on 04/13/10 12:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Luxury Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this '05 4Matic certified pre- owned two years ago. I have never had a car which was this new, in the shop as many times as this! Valve cover blew, problems with the automatic window/sunroof "summer" feature in the door handle, voltage regulator replacement after dash lights kept dimming, differential replacement, and now, knocking in the front end. Interior feels cheap, radio is absolutely horrible. "Leather seating inserts" are a crafty way of saying "mostly vinyl." Loud clunking of windshield wipers, and blasting loud defroster which first makes the windows totally fogged up, then clears them. Go figure with that one.