Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 206 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Great Commuter
By K RIchart

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased this car to be a daily commuter for a one hour one way daily commute. I paid about blue-book wholesale price then spent about $2000 to get all service updates. Almost 50K miles later this car has been fantastic. Comfortable, 30MPG and very quiet on the Interstate. It does like to eat tires and due to the front and rear wheel size difference it is expensive to rotate tires. I am really glad I decided to buy this car over a comparable Camry or Accord

LOOOVE IT, AMG FOR LIFE!!
By Oleg Dyachuk

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

Love this car, this is my 5th car and first Benz. Bought this car at 97k miles and now I have 110k. Yes I had engine oil leaks coming from the oil filter housing and valve cover and breather covers. I fixed all those myself and it wasn't too bad. I still have to replace the transmission oil pan gasket because of a leak. Had to replace both front outer tie rods but this car has never left me stranded, so much power. I seriously smile everytime I drive it with the foot down. Front doors had a bit of rust on the bottom because the car was from Minnesota but I am in the process of changing both doors right now.

Power, feel, composure, sleeper feel whenever i pull up anywhere.

Better oil gasket quality and hold up but the car is over 10 years old so it's kind of expected.

Fun little sedan - but ...
By bpierce

I purchased this 2004 C230 Sedan Sport one year ago with about 56K miles on it. Within a month the CEL came on and required a new engine harness and two O2 sensors to repair. The 1.8L engine had a cam sensor design flaw which leaked oil into the harness (cam sensor seals were replaced under a MB recall by previous owner, but not the oil saturated harness). A month later a coolant pipe began leaking at the rear of the cylinder head (I replaced this myself). Since then, the car has run nicely - although I do get high speed vibration on certain stretches of highway (probably due the the low profile tires). Recently purchased an extended warranty - just in case.

Update April 2016: Overall I have been pleased with this car. I performed routine maintenance and inspections since the CEL issues I had shortly after I purchased the car. I serviced front and rear brakes (purchased OEM parts online) - a relatively straightforward job. I discovered a small crack in one of the rear wheels which was replaced with one I purchased used online. So far, I have not had need to use the extended warranty.

Bought used C240 4matic
By borisbad

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I got the C240 with about 89000 miles. Only had one prior owner who supposedly took good care of it.
I have had the problem at the shop almost weekly with small problems, like sensor problems, new plugs and coils. Had to get a new AC compressor, rotors, and had many other issues. Now I was told that a problem I had with the climate control system (after getting the compressor and a new climate control unit) is due to some SIMM computer module that controls the programming for the A/C, but also other things like the programming of my second key fob. They say the new unit is $1,200 plus labor and that might not even solve the problem.

The favorite features is that when the car is running alright it runs well and is fun to drive. The car's four wheel drive worked very well last winter in the snow, so no problems there.

Many of the interior features of the C240 seem pretty shoddy for a supposed luxury vehicle. Lots of little plastic pieces have fallen out over time.

It's The Bomb
By clutcharies

Have a 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. I'm the original owner and have 257,000 miles on the car. I bought the car for reasons of safety, endurance, looks, and a sporty feel. It's given me everything I wanted. As long as I follow maintenance schedules I expect to exceed 400,000 miles. I've not had any major problems with the car.
This is the best car I've had in my life.

My favorite features are: classy curb appeal, the supercharger, the interior appearance, 32 mpg, sports car feel.

Less road noise