Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Fun little sedan - but could stand design improvements
By bpierce

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 Kompressor Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased this 2004 C230 Sedan Sport one year ago with about 56K miles on it. Within a month the CEL came on and required a new engine harness and two O2 sensors to repair. The 1.8L engine had a cam sensor design flaw which leaked oil into the harness (cam sensor seals were replaced under a MB recall by previous owner, but not the oil saturated harness). A month later a coolant pipe began leaking at the rear of the cylinder head (I replaced this myself). Since then, the car has run nicely - although I do get high speed vibration on certain stretches of highway (probably due the the low profile tires). Recently purchased an extended warranty - just in case.

For a four cylinder automatic, it has plenty of get up and go. I love the handling, stereo sound, and relative ease of working on this vehicle - although getting a good hard-copy repair manual at a reasonable price is impossible. It's also comfortable for someone of my stature (I'm 5'5"). It also has a solid feel to the body and suspension. I also love the engine and transmission splash guards under the vehicle - keeps the engine compartment virtually spotless.

Better design of engine wiring system - can't believe that a cam-sensor o-ring leak can ruin the entire wiring harness, oxygen sensors, and anything else the wiring harness connects to (i.e. sensors/computers). If you own or are considering purchasing one of these, have the engine and transmission harnesses checked for oil travel. Would also suggest purchasing non-directional tires as directional ones cannot be rotated side to side and will require replacement every 20K miles (the C230 has different sized tires front vs rear). Since repairs are costly, consider an aftermarket extended warranty.

It's The Bomb
By clutcharies

Have a 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. I'm the original owner and have 257,000 miles on the car. I bought the car for reasons of safety, endurance, looks, and a sporty feel. It's given me everything I wanted. As long as I follow maintenance schedules I expect to exceed 400,000 miles. I've not had any major problems with the car. This is the best car I've had in my life.

My favorite features are: classy curb appeal, the supercharger, the interior appearance, 32 mpg, sports car feel.

Less road noise

ABSOLUTE LEMON
By eclipse82

I bought this car with 39K miles on it and now have 124K on it. Here is a list of the issues wither fixed and/or still broken... Car caught Fire at Mercedes - A/C Blower Shorted out, Causing Fuse Box to catch fire and burnt underneath Dash. They informed me the Technician received minor burns when trying to put out the fire. -New Alarm Siren (it would go off randomly) -2 Alternators (Voltage Regulator goes bad) -New Door Lock on Driver and passenger Side doors -New RF Sensor on Driver door for the Key-less Remote -2 New Thermostats -1 Driver Side Door Handle -2 Passenger side Door handles and NOW Broke for 3rd time -Rear Glass was replaced because when rear defroster was turned on it would m

Looks great! Drives Great

All new Electrical.

Best value in the brand
By ofcr

I am original owner of a Mars Red C230 Kompressor. 65k miles. Stowed properly for winter every year and since purchased. Car gets so many looks, countless people have stopped me to say how beautiful the car is over the years. The power is incredible, especially off the line...sweet gas mileage even when you punch it. Brakes are hands down the best. So far just changed the oil, bled the brakes in the spring, cleaned sunroof track and waxed. NEVER had a quality issue...only infrequent, and very minor issues. Perfect excuse to go to the dealer and absorb the Benzo eye-candy. Love the car, brand, the Nordstrom level of service and features of S-class for a great price

Swagger, i.e. Balls, Power (low/high end). Fuel efficiency, 34.5mpg on last 4 hour road trip. Great looking color, hood, rear-end, profile. Fat rear tires give it that hot rod look, though suttle enough to be a daily driver. Lumbar support is perfect, driven 12 hours straight comfortably. 6-cd changer, A/C, sunroof, power windows and everything else still works flawlessly. Auto-dimming mirrors really make night driving a nice experience.

C230 Kompressor Sport - Just love this Car!
By coprtkm

Super fast when needed. great gas mileage 32MPG hwy. sporty and super fun to drive. Can't believe I fit into this as well as I do. 6'2 and weigh 285lbs. very comfortable and roomy for myself and girl. plenty of room in the trunk even though it could be a little deeper. great sounding stereo with all features you could ask for. Just love this car! Purchased from the original owner in 2011. Had 54,600 miles and not one little dent, tear etc. even smelt like it came straight from the factory. best 11,500.00 I ever spent!

CD changer, plenty of room in the glove box even though you think their wouldn't be. Nice sport sedan all the way around. Just love this car!

I feel the back seat is perfect for carrying my skis and anything long that the truck does not hold. More room in the glove box than I thought. The CD changer takes up space but was surprised the manual and other things fit without a problem. Nice to have a cassette to play my old songs that I recorded 25+ years ago and love all of the steering wheel features where you can control without lifting your arm. Itís a first for me 