2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Bought used C240 4matic
By borisbad on 08/30/14 19:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I got the C240 with about 89000 miles. Only had one prior owner who supposedly took good care of it. I have had the problem at the shop almost weekly with small problems, like sensor problems, new plugs and coils. Had to get a new AC compressor, rotors, and had many other issues. Now I was told that a problem I had with the climate control system (after getting the compressor and a new climate control unit) is due to some SIMM computer module that controls the programming for the A/C, but also other things like the programming of my second key fob. They say the new unit is $1,200 plus labor and that might not even solve the problem.

It's The Bomb
By clutcharies on 06/29/13 13:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 Kompressor Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Have a 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. I'm the original owner and have 257,000 miles on the car. I bought the car for reasons of safety, endurance, looks, and a sporty feel. It's given me everything I wanted. As long as I follow maintenance schedules I expect to exceed 400,000 miles. I've not had any major problems with the car. This is the best car I've had in my life.

Mercedes says car is 10 years old, junk it,dealer serviced since day 1
By peterbanyan on 06/10/13 14:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

purchased and serviced since day 1 at benzel busch, englewood,nj. service 1/8/2013 mileage 83,396.brake fluid service,flush,change brake fluid. (perform multipoint inspection) perform major service/shop quote,replace ball joints ($?)valve covers&breathers leaking oil $804.80,boots torn( were replaced at 42,000 miles,what again?), l/r spring cracked $611.40,product adviser at m-b states "not a common problem"engine light,service 5/21/2013,found vacuum hose dry rotted.labor $332.50 part $6.13. (multipoint inspection above?)/shop quote mileage 85,230 or 1,834 miles since 1/8. change brake fluid $195.20 (done above on 1/8(what again?)drive shaft&boot another $1255.11.

ABSOLUTE LEMON
By eclipse82 on 04/15/13 20:00 PM (PDT)

I bought this car with 39K miles on it and now have 124K on it. Here is a list of the issues wither fixed and/or still broken... Car caught Fire at Mercedes - A/C Blower Shorted out, Causing Fuse Box to catch fire and burnt underneath Dash. They informed me the Technician received minor burns when trying to put out the fire. -New Alarm Siren (it would go off randomly) -2 Alternators (Voltage Regulator goes bad) -New Door Lock on Driver and passenger Side doors -New RF Sensor on Driver door for the Key-less Remote -2 New Thermostats -1 Driver Side Door Handle -2 Passenger side Door handles and NOW Broke for 3rd time -Rear Glass was replaced because when rear defroster was turned on it would m

Best value in the brand
By ofcr on 05/30/12 19:50 PM (PDT)

I am original owner of a Mars Red C230 Kompressor. 65k miles. Stowed properly for winter every year and since purchased. Car gets so many looks, countless people have stopped me to say how beautiful the car is over the years. The power is incredible, especially off the line...sweet gas mileage even when you punch it. Brakes are hands down the best. So far just changed the oil, bled the brakes in the spring, cleaned sunroof track and waxed. NEVER had a quality issue...only infrequent, and very minor issues. Perfect excuse to go to the dealer and absorb the Benzo eye-candy. Love the car, brand, the Nordstrom level of service and features of S-class for a great price

C230 Kompressor Sport - Just love this Car!
By coprtkm on 10/20/11 13:11 PM (PDT)

Super fast when needed. great gas mileage 32MPG hwy. sporty and super fun to drive. Can't believe I fit into this as well as I do. 6'2 and weigh 285lbs. very comfortable and roomy for myself and girl. plenty of room in the trunk even though it could be a little deeper. great sounding stereo with all features you could ask for. Just love this car! Purchased from the original owner in 2011. Had 54,600 miles and not one little dent, tear etc. even smelt like it came straight from the factory. best 11,500.00 I ever spent!

Not worth it
By jonnie on 06/30/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car is very unreliable. Something is always breaking down. The electric wiring is messed up. First the car shut off on the freeway-no reason. Then the trunk broke and would not lock, speakers went out, then the lighter went out so I can't charge my phone during driving. Then the brake lights have been going out on & off since I've had it. Finally my drivers side lock went out -causing the alarm to go off while driving and while parked. I've been a fool and taken it in to the Arcadia dealership to be fixed which has only cost thousands of dollars. This last estimate ~$700 for a $125 part. They told me their technicians are trained that's why they charge so much. please! Never buy Mercedes. :(

Fun and Value
By Race Bannon on 04/17/10 06:06 AM (PDT)

I've owned my C230 Kompressor sedan for almost 7 years now and it's as fun to drive as ever. I've got the six speed manual transmission, so the car is really responsive jetting around town, yet retains a smooth luxurious feel on the highway in the higher gears. I haven't had any major repairs in 7 years, though the lock mechanism on the left rear door has just started to malfunction within the last month. All in all a great car, that's been lots of fun to drive, at a very good value, if you consider I paid around $32K for it and drove it for almost seven years.

Reliable MB
By keifer on 02/06/10 08:55 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this new for my wife back in 2004. The car has been very reliable, and has maintained its quality feel throughout the years of ownership. Only issue with this vehicle was a disappointing need to service some suspension components. Dealer said it was due to wear and age. At the time, the car only had 45,000 miles, but was 5 years old ... guess I question parts that wear just because of age versus miles. Ready for a new car, and MB will be in the consideration (although the price has gotten a bit past the competition). Overall, still quite happy with the vehicle.

Beauty, Braun, Safety, and Performance
By South Padregirl on 11/21/09 19:01 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this hot-rod in June 03, when MB still paid the maintenance, but the only two problems I were also paid under the warranty. I had two accidents in this car; the first a rear ending that threw the car into the backend of another, and the second when a Dodge Neon going 35 hit the right front. I walked away from each without injury and had the car repaired; I've driven it forty thousand miles since; it's never let me down, and I love it! It's such a little hot-rod, fun, so responsive and yet gets reasonable gas mileage, its best has been 28.5 for a six-hour trip. Someone is going get one sweetheart of a used car if they look past the CarFax. It's a strong little beauty still!