Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Fun little sedan - but could stand design improvements
By bpierce

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 Kompressor Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased this 2004 C230 Sedan Sport one year ago with about 56K miles on it. Within a month the CEL came on and required a new engine harness and two O2 sensors to repair. The 1.8L engine had a cam sensor design flaw which leaked oil into the harness (cam sensor seals were replaced under a MB recall by previous owner, but not the oil saturated harness). A month later a coolant pipe began leaking at the rear of the cylinder head (I replaced this myself). Since then, the car has run nicely - although I do get high speed vibration on certain stretches of highway (probably due the the low profile tires). Recently purchased an extended warranty - just in case.

Favorite Features

For a four cylinder automatic, it has plenty of get up and go. I love the handling, stereo sound, and relative ease of working on this vehicle - although getting a good hard-copy repair manual at a reasonable price is impossible. It's also comfortable for someone of my stature (I'm 5'5"). It also has a solid feel to the body and suspension. I also love the engine and transmission splash guards under the vehicle - keeps the engine compartment virtually spotless.

Suggested Improvements

Better design of engine wiring system - can't believe that a cam-sensor o-ring leak can ruin the entire wiring harness, oxygen sensors, and anything else the wiring harness connects to (i.e. sensors/computers). If you own or are considering purchasing one of these, have the engine and transmission harnesses checked for oil travel. Would also suggest purchasing non-directional tires as directional ones cannot be rotated side to side and will require replacement every 20K miles (the C230 has different sized tires front vs rear). Since repairs are costly, consider an aftermarket extended warranty.

Bought used C240 4matic
By borisbad

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I got the C240 with about 89000 miles. Only had one prior owner who supposedly took good care of it. I have had the problem at the shop almost weekly with small problems, like sensor problems, new plugs and coils. Had to get a new AC compressor, rotors, and had many other issues. Now I was told that a problem I had with the climate control system (after getting the compressor and a new climate control unit) is due to some SIMM computer module that controls the programming for the A/C, but also other things like the programming of my second key fob. They say the new unit is $1,200 plus labor and that might not even solve the problem.

Favorite Features

The favorite features is that when the car is running alright it runs well and is fun to drive. The car's four wheel drive worked very well last winter in the snow, so no problems there.

Suggested Improvements

Many of the interior features of the C240 seem pretty shoddy for a supposed luxury vehicle. Lots of little plastic pieces have fallen out over time.

It's The Bomb
By clutcharies

Have a 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. I'm the original owner and have 257,000 miles on the car. I bought the car for reasons of safety, endurance, looks, and a sporty feel. It's given me everything I wanted. As long as I follow maintenance schedules I expect to exceed 400,000 miles. I've not had any major problems with the car. This is the best car I've had in my life.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are: classy curb appeal, the supercharger, the interior appearance, 32 mpg, sports car feel.

Suggested Improvements

Less road noise

Mercedes says car is 10 years old, junk it,dealer serviced since day 1
By peterbanyan

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

purchased and serviced since day 1 at benzel busch, englewood,nj. service 1/8/2013 mileage 83,396.brake fluid service,flush,change brake fluid. (perform multipoint inspection) perform major service/shop quote,replace ball joints ($?)valve covers&breathers leaking oil $804.80,boots torn( were replaced at 42,000 miles,what again?), l/r spring cracked $611.40,product adviser at m-b states "not a common problem"engine light,service 5/21/2013,found vacuum hose dry rotted.labor $332.50 part $6.13. (multipoint inspection above?)/shop quote mileage 85,230 or 1,834 miles since 1/8. change brake fluid $195.20 (done above on 1/8(what again?)drive shaft&boot another $1255.11.

Favorite Features

Mercedes case manager Francine says, car is "old" but I say, benzel busch serviced since day 1 and only has 83,399 miles, Francine says, they may make a good deal on a new one!

Suggested Improvements

buy a BMW! as many of my friends say after this story.

ABSOLUTE LEMON
By eclipse82

I bought this car with 39K miles on it and now have 124K on it. Here is a list of the issues wither fixed and/or still broken... Car caught Fire at Mercedes - A/C Blower Shorted out, Causing Fuse Box to catch fire and burnt underneath Dash. They informed me the Technician received minor burns when trying to put out the fire. -New Alarm Siren (it would go off randomly) -2 Alternators (Voltage Regulator goes bad) -New Door Lock on Driver and passenger Side doors -New RF Sensor on Driver door for the Key-less Remote -2 New Thermostats -1 Driver Side Door Handle -2 Passenger side Door handles and NOW Broke for 3rd time -Rear Glass was replaced because when rear defroster was turned on it would m

Favorite Features

Looks great! Drives Great

Suggested Improvements

All new Electrical.