2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Nothing to Complain About
By jbarbour on 11/30/12 18:33 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Kompressor Rwd 2dr Sport Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

With over 167,000 miles on my 2004 and synthetic Mobil 1 oil since the beginning my car is my second home and more reliable than most of my so called friends. Commuting, traveling, or just cruising is a delight in my C230 nicknamed "Jett" (supercharger). My first Mercedes when I turned 40 and will not be my last. Would love to get the 4-door version in the future. Buy it you won't be disappointed, if you take care of it.

LOVE THIS BENZ
By greg on 05/02/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

Using it for state to state trips and it is a pleasure to drive. It stores quite a bit of cargo with the back seats folded down. The car seems to fit you when you are driving long hours and miles. To be honest I bought it for its looks but when I got it I had to suddenly press it into long distance trips and it excelled. I have had no problems but maybe the tires seem to be wearing out a little early but if that is the only drawback I will gladly by new tires. It is fast and turns on a dime and brakes with the best.

Love it!
By Dyessy on 07/10/07 08:17 AM (PDT)

I look so good in this car! Love the emblem. Cloth seat not such a good investment and handling in rain/snow can get a little scary. Overall, the car drives very well. It was purchased as a certified used & came with an amazing warranty. All service is free. There was an issue with the carbon intake valves that they said had been occuring so be aware, but thanks to my warranty that was also fixed for free. It has been an ease in every aspect.

Jackrabbit Mercedes Coupe
By MJ on 06/16/06 22:25 PM (PDT)

Has multiple features found on more expensive models. Large sliding roof is unique. Kompressor (supercharger) make 189 HP seem like 300 when it kicks in. A wonderful small hatchback. Sad that MB discontinued the model for 2006.

Better than I expected
By gb36 on 12/05/05 12:29 PM (PST)

I bought this car certified from dealership with the extra year warranty and remainder of factory maint. I bought sight unseen over internet but had test drove one locally. It's black with black which I think is a great color for this car. First impressions: Roomier than looks on outside. Great pickup, esp when you use the manual shift feature that comes with automatics. Fun to drive and handles corners and curves like a bimmer. It's definitely has 'riding on rails' feel. It came with performance tires and 17 inch rims which are amazing on drive smooth roads. The problems are snow and bumpy roads. All and all am happy every time I get in and start her up.

Best used car value
By John on 11/16/05 17:43 PM (PST)

We bought used with 12500 miles under $21K. List was over $32K . Car is only 15 months old and has remainder of 4/50 warranty including full maintanence! Is a terrific used car value, but not so good resale if buy new. Dealer disclosed all history and car has never had any warranty issues, just flex maintenance. MB got it right on C-class with regard to quality issues. Car handles and drives great and gets great gas mileage rated 23/30 but we are getting about 22 city and 35 highway! 8 air bags and esp makes for very safe ride. No rattles and very solid feel. Hatchback is great for getting big things in and out. Considering an 06 Civic EX is over 21 this is great value for your money

Great Car!
By Carmel by the Sea on 04/14/05 19:29 PM (PDT)

As a former Porsche 911 SC owner it would take a pretty impressive automobile to compete with a Porsche. My Mercedes is such a fun car to drive with an impressive list of safety features. I didn't think that it would have much power, however. Although not the Porsche, it does have impressive pick up when needed. My only wish for the car would be a rear wind shield washer. I love this car so much that my best friend went out and bought the identical model! She loves it too!

Excellent Overall
By vinnie on 02/19/05 13:34 PM (PST)

Had car for 10 months. Had BMW5. Now BMW7 and X5. Considered BMW3 but chose this car. Much smoother ride than BMW3. Much quieter than BMW3. 95% of time I'm not cornering the hell out of the car when BMW3 would have an edge so why compromise for a bumpy and noisy BMW3 ride? Nothing's for free, but this car has exceptional balance of acceleration at all speeds. Compressor w/ a small engine but great gas mileage of 22 to 30. Has full safety features and feels that way too. MUST get full leather and full power seats. Cloth is cheap. Exterior rear styling is a bit quirky. Twice in shop for water coolant level detection - tolerable. Mars red color is totally special. One of my favorite cars ever.

Treat Yourself to this Entry-Level Dream
By Maury Cone on 12/27/04 01:35 AM (PST)

Fun, fun, fun...everything you would expect in a finely made German automobile in a reasonably priced package with all of the bells and whistles. A great little car.

Love my Snowball
By SusanD on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

All the gadgetry takes a bit of time to learn, but now I can cruise through the menus easily. Love the roof and hatchback is very roomy, holding a large cooler and camp chairs with ease if you drop one of the seat backs. Not thrilled with having to buy premium gas, but the mileage has been excellent (32-33 mpg at 75mph with full A/C on). Dealer service is excellent. They really are committed to pleasing the customer. If you have snow, buy aftermarket 16" wheels and good snows. They make all the difference in the world and make the car very safe and reliable in winter. That's why I call my car "Snowball"!