Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Bought used C240 4matic
By borisbad

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I got the C240 with about 89000 miles. Only had one prior owner who supposedly took good care of it. I have had the problem at the shop almost weekly with small problems, like sensor problems, new plugs and coils. Had to get a new AC compressor, rotors, and had many other issues. Now I was told that a problem I had with the climate control system (after getting the compressor and a new climate control unit) is due to some SIMM computer module that controls the programming for the A/C, but also other things like the programming of my second key fob. They say the new unit is $1,200 plus labor and that might not even solve the problem.

Favorite Features

The favorite features is that when the car is running alright it runs well and is fun to drive. The car's four wheel drive worked very well last winter in the snow, so no problems there.

Suggested Improvements

Many of the interior features of the C240 seem pretty shoddy for a supposed luxury vehicle. Lots of little plastic pieces have fallen out over time.

Mercedes says car is 10 years old, junk it,dealer serviced since day 1
By peterbanyan

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

purchased and serviced since day 1 at benzel busch, englewood,nj. service 1/8/2013 mileage 83,396.brake fluid service,flush,change brake fluid. (perform multipoint inspection) perform major service/shop quote,replace ball joints ($?)valve covers&breathers leaking oil $804.80,boots torn( were replaced at 42,000 miles,what again?), l/r spring cracked $611.40,product adviser at m-b states "not a common problem"engine light,service 5/21/2013,found vacuum hose dry rotted.labor $332.50 part $6.13. (multipoint inspection above?)/shop quote mileage 85,230 or 1,834 miles since 1/8. change brake fluid $195.20 (done above on 1/8(what again?)drive shaft&boot another $1255.11.

Favorite Features

Mercedes case manager Francine says, car is "old" but I say, benzel busch serviced since day 1 and only has 83,399 miles, Francine says, they may make a good deal on a new one!

Suggested Improvements

buy a BMW! as many of my friends say after this story.

Reliable MB
By keifer

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this new for my wife back in 2004. The car has been very reliable, and has maintained its quality feel throughout the years of ownership. Only issue with this vehicle was a disappointing need to service some suspension components. Dealer said it was due to wear and age. At the time, the car only had 45,000 miles, but was 5 years old ... guess I question parts that wear just because of age versus miles. Ready for a new car, and MB will be in the consideration (although the price has gotten a bit past the competition). Overall, still quite happy with the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Memory and heated seats / very capable performance & handling / looks have maintained stylish appearance even though the newer version has changed.

Suggested Improvements

windshield wipers / fold down rear seats

Love It!
By youngster1990

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

My parents bought this for me as my first car and I love everything about it. My best friend has an Audi A4 and she asked to drive my car and she said she enjoys it more than her car. The stereo is great. Leather is great. I just love this car! Makes my heart skip a beat (in a good way) when I accelerate onto the highway and passs people!

Favorite Features

4matic! Heated seats, leather seats. Stereo. Steering wheel mounted audio and menu controls. Adaptive cruise control. Cornering fog lamps.

Suggested Improvements

Make power memory seats standard instead of making people pay extra for them. And fix the front windshield. It fogs up way too fast and the defogger is obnoxiously loud. Needs better gas mileage! A little bit more backseat room

Solid Performance But Few Thrills
By JNT

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned the car since new. In mainly city driving with some long distance trips, I have averaged 21.4 mpg over 13,500 miles. The only repair was a fuel filler door that did not lock. The car has been very dependable and is a comfortable long distance cruiser (up to 28 mpg on the highway). 4matic is great in the snow even with the standard all season tires. My main complaint is that the engine lacks low end punch. Once on the highway, performance is acceptable but not thrilling. If you want performance, don't buy the 240, move up to the 320. (I did not like the 230 because of the compressor whine; simply a matter of taste.) Headroom improves significantly without the sunroof.

Favorite Features

Solid handling; smooth, quiet highway ride (feels planted like a larger car and is not affected by cross-winds or semis); heated seats and 4matic.

Suggested Improvements

More engine power; quieter climate control fan at start up; front spoiler hangs low and requires caution when parking; side mirrors are too small.