2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Mercedes says car is 10 years old, junk it,dealer serviced since day 1
By peterbanyan on 06/10/13 14:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

purchased and serviced since day 1 at benzel busch, englewood,nj. service 1/8/2013 mileage 83,396.brake fluid service,flush,change brake fluid. (perform multipoint inspection) perform major service/shop quote,replace ball joints ($?)valve covers&breathers leaking oil $804.80,boots torn( were replaced at 42,000 miles,what again?), l/r spring cracked $611.40,product adviser at m-b states "not a common problem"engine light,service 5/21/2013,found vacuum hose dry rotted.labor $332.50 part $6.13. (multipoint inspection above?)/shop quote mileage 85,230 or 1,834 miles since 1/8. change brake fluid $195.20 (done above on 1/8(what again?)drive shaft&boot another $1255.11.

Reliable MB
By keifer on 02/06/10 08:55 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this new for my wife back in 2004. The car has been very reliable, and has maintained its quality feel throughout the years of ownership. Only issue with this vehicle was a disappointing need to service some suspension components. Dealer said it was due to wear and age. At the time, the car only had 45,000 miles, but was 5 years old ... guess I question parts that wear just because of age versus miles. Ready for a new car, and MB will be in the consideration (although the price has gotten a bit past the competition). Overall, still quite happy with the vehicle.

Love It!
By youngster1990 on 02/29/08 20:13 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

My parents bought this for me as my first car and I love everything about it. My best friend has an Audi A4 and she asked to drive my car and she said she enjoys it more than her car. The stereo is great. Leather is great. I just love this car! Makes my heart skip a beat (in a good way) when I accelerate onto the highway and passs people!

Solid Performance But Few Thrills
By JNT on 02/15/08 14:52 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned the car since new. In mainly city driving with some long distance trips, I have averaged 21.4 mpg over 13,500 miles. The only repair was a fuel filler door that did not lock. The car has been very dependable and is a comfortable long distance cruiser (up to 28 mpg on the highway). 4matic is great in the snow even with the standard all season tires. My main complaint is that the engine lacks low end punch. Once on the highway, performance is acceptable but not thrilling. If you want performance, don't buy the 240, move up to the 320. (I did not like the 230 because of the compressor whine; simply a matter of taste.) Headroom improves significantly without the sunroof.

Nice Ride!
By Great Car on 09/17/07 09:41 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

We bought ours used w/39k miles on it. The car is beautiful, well maintained. I have one problem with an ESP/BAS warning and this appears to be affecting the operation of the sunroof. Hopefully this can be corrected by the certified warranty. The car feels as solid and safe as any car I've driven and after I got finished with it this weekend you can't tell its not new.

Better than I ever hoped for
By susan on 05/20/05 09:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I turned in a ML320 for this car and was worried about driving in New England in the winter, but I was pleasantly surprised. This vehicle got me through a terrible storm - plows had not gotten out yet and there was well over 6 inches of snow on the ground and more coming down - with the utmost stability. I don't understand the complaints about front seat comfort. I drive from the Hartford CT area to the Mid Hudson Valley weekly, and commute 25 miles to work each day, and find the car to be extremely comfortable.

Not Bad Entry Level Luxury Car
By Rupert Butterworth on 01/07/05 00:32 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

This isn't a bad little car. Like others have mentioned it is NOT comfortable for the long haul. Seats are very firm up front and the kids complain about being cramped in the rear. The hesitation from stop is scary. Have almost been creamed a few times because of the hesitation. Those issues aside--fuel mileage is in the upper 20's on the highway, high teens in the city; It's much quieter than our old car- a 2002 Honda Accord. This isn't a bad car, just some quirks.

Just great
By richiebpa on 11/16/04 19:52 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

Handling is fantastic--Last winter it handled better than the 4x4 pickup I traded. I live the mountainous area of N.E. PA so this was a plus. Just had first free service. Great gas mileage (31 highway). Only time it was back to the dealer. Loved it so much just bought the wife a E-320 4-matic two months ago. Only two gripes: 1- Location of CD Changer 2- Toy cup holder in front seat belongs in a Chevette

Dream Car
By SusanBenz on 08/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Nothing can beat a Benz

love it!
By j's car on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

love it!So much fun to drive. Car handles perfect in bad weather. I don't know what Consumer Reports is complaining about! This is the perfect car!