Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Great Commuter
By K RIchart

2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased this car to be a daily commuter for a one hour one way daily commute. I paid about blue-book wholesale price then spent about $2000 to get all service updates. Almost 50K miles later this car has been fantastic. Comfortable, 30MPG and very quiet on the Interstate. It does like to eat tires and due to the front and rear wheel size difference it is expensive to rotate tires. I am really glad I decided to buy this car over a comparable Camry or Accord

Fun little sedan - but ...
By bpierce

I purchased this 2004 C230 Sedan Sport one year ago with about 56K miles on it. Within a month the CEL came on and required a new engine harness and two O2 sensors to repair. The 1.8L engine had a cam sensor design flaw which leaked oil into the harness (cam sensor seals were replaced under a MB recall by previous owner, but not the oil saturated harness). A month later a coolant pipe began leaking at the rear of the cylinder head (I replaced this myself). Since then, the car has run nicely - although I do get high speed vibration on certain stretches of highway (probably due the the low profile tires). Recently purchased an extended warranty - just in case.

Update April 2016: Overall I have been pleased with this car. I performed routine maintenance and inspections since the CEL issues I had shortly after I purchased the car. I serviced front and rear brakes (purchased OEM parts online) - a relatively straightforward job. I discovered a small crack in one of the rear wheels which was replaced with one I purchased used online. So far, I have not had need to use the extended warranty.

It's The Bomb
By clutcharies

Have a 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. I'm the original owner and have 257,000 miles on the car. I bought the car for reasons of safety, endurance, looks, and a sporty feel. It's given me everything I wanted. As long as I follow maintenance schedules I expect to exceed 400,000 miles. I've not had any major problems with the car.
This is the best car I've had in my life.

My favorite features are: classy curb appeal, the supercharger, the interior appearance, 32 mpg, sports car feel.

Less road noise

ABSOLUTE LEMON
By eclipse82

I bought this car with 39K miles on it and now have 124K on it.
Here is a list of the issues wither fixed and/or still broken...
Car caught Fire at Mercedes - A/C Blower Shorted out, Causing Fuse Box to catch fire and burnt underneath Dash. They informed me the Technician received minor burns when trying to put out the fire. -New Alarm Siren (it would go off randomly) -2 Alternators (Voltage Regulator goes bad) -New Door Lock on Driver and passenger Side doors -New RF Sensor on Driver door for the Key-less Remote -2 New Thermostats -1 Driver Side Door Handle -2 Passenger side Door handles and NOW Broke for 3rd time -Rear Glass was replaced because when rear defroster was turned on it would m

Looks great! Drives Great

All new Electrical.

Best value in the brand
By ofcr

I am original owner of a Mars Red C230 Kompressor.
65k miles. Stowed properly for winter every year and since purchased.
Car gets so many looks, countless people have stopped me to say how beautiful the car is over the years. The power is incredible, especially off the line...sweet gas mileage even when you punch it.
Brakes are hands down the best.
So far just changed the oil, bled the brakes in the spring, cleaned sunroof track and waxed.
NEVER had a quality issue...only infrequent, and very minor issues.
Perfect excuse to go to the dealer and absorb the Benzo eye-candy.
Love the car, brand, the Nordstrom level of service and features of S-class for a great price

Swagger, i.e. Balls, Power (low/high end). Fuel efficiency, 34.5mpg on last 4 hour road trip. Great looking color, hood, rear-end, profile. Fat rear tires give it that hot rod look, though suttle enough to be a daily driver. Lumbar support is perfect, driven 12 hours straight comfortably. 6-cd changer, A/C, sunroof, power windows and everything else still works flawlessly. Auto-dimming mirrors really make night driving a nice experience.