Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Great for now
By Harry O

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This car is my second Mercedes and my 4th car. I like the style and the handling. Gas mileage is great. The computer is great too. I notice small things like the windshield wipers not coming on when the door is open so as not to throw water on you (among several other neat attributes). The dash display seems to be shorting a bit or simply burning out. The sunroof doesn't close fully in auto mode as it should.

Auto lights and rain sensors. Disc changer. Feel of the steering. Computer in dash. The looks.

Cup holder is too small. It is somewhat underpowered. The seats could be slightly softer. A car this size should have seats that fold down in the rear.

Great driving automobile
By Herman

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Excellent automobile, only returned once during 50,000 mile warranty for replacement of automatic temperature control module. Very tight turning radius makes parking very easy. Manual transmission and supercharged 4 cylinder engine provides for excellent gas mileage. 28-30 mph in town and 32- 40 mph on the highway at 65-70 mph.

6-speed manual transmission, supercharged 4-cylinder engine, comfortable seats, outstanding gas mileage

Suggest interior door gasket on body be made of vinyl in lieu of fuzzy cloth. The vinyl would be easier to keep clean at the door threshold.

I love this car.
By Adam

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I was literally one of the first to buy a 2003 C230 coupe and I've loved it ever since. I have to be completely honest here and tell you that its had its fair share of electrical problems. The only problem was the engine was revving at idle just slightly, but this was fixed by replacing the engine controller (paid by warranty) and now it runs smooth as ever. This was the first MB to have the M271 engine and I was expecting some bugs. Other than that I've had the check engine light come on at least a half dozen times, but I've got that taken care of now. I've had no mechanical problems of any kind, no squeaks, rattles or anything like that, just minor electrical problems. Love the car!

Built solid as a rock. Mechanical quality is unmatched. Interior is laid out beautifully. Unique styling (you won't see many on the road). Tons of cargo space when seats are folded down (I love hatchbacks). Affordable for a MB. Not the quickest off the line, but handling is top notch. All glass roof.

Electrical issues need to be ironed out by MB. Engine could be a little stronger at low RPM but what do you expect for such an affordable price, if you want a fast MB you have to pay for it. Transmission could be smoother, but only the pickiest of drivers will notice.

The black bean!
By 4dr C240 Sedan

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Mercedes-Benz purchase. I really like driving my car and the service that was included in the initial factory warranty.

Smoooth drive. Awesome brake control. Sharp looking car

Automatic seats (forward & back) should be standard, not an option. A/C is so loud! I've had so many problems with the motor on the sunroof. It will stay open and not close properly.

Traded In at 62,000 miles
By J Ziomek

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I absolutely loved my C230. It was a blast to drive, looked great on dates, and I could blow by most cars on the highway. Up until 2 weeks ago the only problem with car was tire replacement, $600 every 12-15K miles. But that was to be expected. Two weeks ago I was driving home from NC to PA I stopped for lunch and the car's electrical system failed. The SRS, ESP, BAS warning lights began flashing and stereo stopped working. End result $2000 in repairs including replacing the stereo and various other parts. These repairs are to be expected after years of ownership but not at 62,500 miles. I traded it in on a Volvo and the trade value was $16,000 without repairing it.

Great car while under warranty, fun to drive,excellent MPG, impressive speed and handling

Electric system, better quality. High repair and servicing costs.