Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 280 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Good times don't last.
By azally

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This was my first car. I'm in high school and even though I'm young I love and research cars nonstop. I have had my c230 coupe since 9/06 and it was my dream car until about a month ago. My sunroof cable broke and that was the only part that the extended warranty didnt cover. Less than a week later, my engine started shaking and the check engine came on. Took it in and there is a flaw with Mercedes and something in the cylinders can get stuck open and dont bet on your insurance/warranty place to cover anything. Cost for new cylinder: $5000. Too much maintainance, in shop too much, need a more reliable car so I'm selling. Overall, I love the car to death but not worth the time in the shop and hassle.

Look of the front end, great sunroof and 2nd moonroof for the back seat. Kompressor kicks in and it's fun to drive

No CD player? Back end looks need to be improved. Need to be more reliable. If you can afford spending at least a couple grand a month to maintain it, then there is no problem.

Seduced by the shining star
By MCJ

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

My wife thinks this car is beautiful and loves it because of that. I can only see the horrible reliability, expensive purchase price, and the crippling maintenance costs. Recently had an alternator go bad at 68K for a $900 surprise. No power, mushy ride, cheap stereo where 2 of 4 speakers don't work. Very high TCO in both money and frustration. Even the salesman admitted the C240 line had major quality problems and offered to sell us a newer model. No thanks!

My wife thinks it's beautiful and loves being seen in it. Decent in the snow. Easy to drive with good visibility.

Fix the reliability issues. A $40K + car should not have so many problems or at least should be fixed under warranty. Needs more power. It shouldn't take .5 seconds for the car to start responding to mashing on the gas pedal.

Sharp,comfortable luxury car
By carmbu

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

After about 50,000 miles, i still enjoy to drive the C240 everyday to work. It has never stranded me, and is a comfortable highway cruiser with decent gas mileage getting about 28mpg highway, though with just 168hp, I thought it would be better. I maintain it well and the interior and exterior look like the day I bought it. The car has been to the dealership though about 8 unscheduled times for various issues such as both catalytic converters failing, speaker failure, headlight assembly failure and battery dying without any warning. Still, all covered under warranty.

Steering wheel controls, computer screen, comfortable for driver and passengers, good high speed handling and stability, always nice to show up places in a Mercedes.

Better overall build quality. Sound system that belongs in a luxury car justice, bigger mirrors, more power

Honest C230 Coupe Review
By Mark J

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have had this car for over 4 years now and still looks sharp. Paint has held up well and even where I have chips/scrapes very little rust. Excellent gas mileage (28+) for such a sporty car. Good performance and still feels 'solid' (no flex or gives) just like when I bought it. Very comfortable for a small car as long as you are not too tall in back seat. Trunk room is average for small car. Would get higher ratings but it's a horrible car in the snow. I got stuck once on flat driveway <1" snow. With all season tires still bad in snow. Also, car is very tough on tires, wearing them quickly. Car was in shop 4 times (fortunately under warranty) for computer and sensor prob.

Sporty (not fast) but still excellent gas mileage. Very stable at high speeds. Good radio and interior temperature control systems. Very sporty wheels (I got the sport upgrade)

Horrible in snow! Wouldn't buy any rear-wheel drive again living in Pennsylvania. Also, why does MB recommend only 91 octane gas or better? Limited paint colors unless you want to pay extra. Interior color choices limited (light gray stains easily).

Mercedes-Benz for life!
By MBconvert

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought this car because I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to own a Mercedes?" The answer is yes. The car takes care of everything and just lets you drive. Rain-sensing wipers, automatic climate control, speed sensitive radio volume, excellent handling, decent power; they thought of everything. I am tall at 6'2", and I actually don't put the seat all the way back! At $23k for a 16 month-old car it's a bargain. I've only had one problem; the automatic climate control stopped working one very hot (100+ degrees) day, and I had to switch to manual controls. It started working again the next day. This car had been more reliable than my Toyota Celica, and a hell of a lot more fun.

I love the leg room and excellent gas mileage (32 highway, 25 city). Why can't Americans make cars like this?

Perhaps my moonroof doesn't work right, but I have to hold down the close button or it stops halfway and goes back to full open. Also, this car is heavy at 4000 lbs, so 189 HP is not that much. The original tires (Michelin Pilot sports) had to be replaced at 25k miles.