Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Mercedes-Benz for life!
By MBconvert

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought this car because I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to own a Mercedes?" The answer is yes. The car takes care of everything and just lets you drive. Rain-sensing wipers, automatic climate control, speed sensitive radio volume, excellent handling, decent power; they thought of everything. I am tall at 6'2", and I actually don't put the seat all the way back! At $23k for a 16 month-old car it's a bargain. I've only had one problem; the automatic climate control stopped working one very hot (100+ degrees) day, and I had to switch to manual controls. It started working again the next day. This car had been more reliable than my Toyota Celica, and a hell of a lot more fun.

Favorite Features

I love the leg room and excellent gas mileage (32 highway, 25 city). Why can't Americans make cars like this?

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps my moonroof doesn't work right, but I have to hold down the close button or it stops halfway and goes back to full open. Also, this car is heavy at 4000 lbs, so 189 HP is not that much. The original tires (Michelin Pilot sports) had to be replaced at 25k miles.

A Great Car for the Money
By Todd

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my C240 for a little over 4 years. Having previously owned a 1997 Toyota Camry, I've found Mercedes to be quite reliable, though not as reliable as the Camry. The exterior has worn well, with a good deal of shine still left in the paint (I have no garage). The interior, however, is quite cheaply made and it shows. A later redesign dealt with this issue. I plan to buy another C-Class sedan when the redesigned 2008 model appears.

Favorite Features

Great handling and drive. Head-turning vehicle. Minimal mechanical problems.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap-looking interior. Sub-par quality leather inserts.A few annoying electrical glitches.

Super Fun Car!
By Miss D

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have really enjoyed driving this car. My only issue with M-B is the options packages. They make it too hard to get what you want. I initially had a problem with the memory seats but after 2 trips to the dealer it was fixed. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a great drive with lots of WOW factor!

Favorite Features

Great drive, awesome stereo system, cool options.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical and available options.

Everything You Wanted for This Price
By Bumpy1800

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

No problems whatsoever. I get around 33mpg on long interstate trips, but only about 20 or so in town. I don't even try to go out if we get a few inches of snow. First winter, got stuck by my mailbox and the mail lady helped push me out, in 3" of snow. Tried top of the line snow tires plus sand bags and got nothing. This is the only complaint with this car, save the onboard computer controls could be a bit clearer, but I hardly use them anyway. Car is pretty, and 3 years later still gets turned heads when I pull a corner! From adults, too! Turns nice and tight, has a ton of features for such a "cheap" car.

Favorite Features

Supercharger, tiptronic, panoramic sunroof, auto wipers, audio controls, dual climate control, cool cupholder

Suggested Improvements

Front wheel drive at least. I know that's not the point of a "sports coupe" but when a few inches of snow keeps you home, that ain't cool (I love snow). Wouldn't mind standard xenon headlights.

Great for now
By Harry O

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This car is my second Mercedes and my 4th car. I like the style and the handling. Gas mileage is great. The computer is great too. I notice small things like the windshield wipers not coming on when the door is open so as not to throw water on you (among several other neat attributes). The dash display seems to be shorting a bit or simply burning out. The sunroof doesn't close fully in auto mode as it should.

Favorite Features

Auto lights and rain sensors. Disc changer. Feel of the steering. Computer in dash. The looks.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder is too small. It is somewhat underpowered. The seats could be slightly softer. A car this size should have seats that fold down in the rear.