Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

My first Mercedes
By animechan

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Having driven many Mercedes in past but never owning one until now, I am not disappointed. I bought mine barely used with only 3000 miles on it over 18 months ago and the true market value on Edmunds for Private Party sale is about the same as what I originally paid. Great value for the money. Would considering buying again when the next model comes out. Definitely worth buying compared to comparably priced cars such as Accord V6, Acura RSX, etc.

Favorite Features

Panaramic roof, auto dimming mirrors, auto rainshield wipers, sound system, remote control, good handling and great gas mileage (but still has decent power)

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had the power seats, which are overpriced. Auto transmission sometimes a little testy going from first to second gear.

2003 Mercedes-Benz C320 - Odd butt, but I love it
By Tommy New Wave

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C320 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my 2003 Mercedes-Benz C320 for almost two years and 7,000 miles without any no problems. I love it, and my wife has to tear the keys out my hands every couple weeks to borrow it for the day. It still feels new, looks new, and drives like it cost twice the money. If I could only find an AMG motor and brakes to drop into it...

Favorite Features

The handling, the room (I'm 6'4" and fit great), the power. And can't forget those breaks. Dynamic exhilaration at it's best. My wife loves the panorama roof, my son the audio system. I love the 17" wheels and leather... ah, the smell. Even after 23 months...

Suggested Improvements

Drink holder is flimsy, so we are careful with it, but it works. I have two small kids who love to ride in back, but there is no drink holder for them whatsoever. It needs one back there.

Great Car
By smohamme

This is a superb car with great looks. It handles corners great and has pep.

Favorite Features

Looks and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Get another CD changer.

Great Ride
By jmoore25

This is the wife's car but I drive it every chance I get. When looking for this car we drove just about everthing in the two door 25-40K price range and found the C230 to be the best value. We also liked the BMW 330 but could not justify the extra 10K to get the same options as the Mercedes. And for about the same price as the BMW 225 we thought the C230 was just a nicer car. With the 17" tires the suspension is fantastic, soft and quiet at cruising speed yet tight and stiff on country roads. Engine is excellent, does not suck you into your seat like my 01 Stang GT but that is not the goal of this car.

Favorite Features

Great gas millage, trip computer shows us getting 33MPG on trips. Safety features are world class. Leather seats are of excellent quality far exceeding the stuff put in by most other builders. Like the 6 speed manual.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof - way too much wind noise on the highway. 17" Tires - not a complaint because I think they really finish the car off and would buy them again but we are only going to get 20k miles out of them, just a heads up on that...

Don't Bother
By Rick Marques

After waiting over twenty years to buy my first Benz - finally getting one was an underwhelming exercise in futility. This is a TERRIBLE car, built like any other Pinto, Gremlin or Vega - HONESTLY. Bad build quality, rattles, squeaks, LOUD when driving it, alignment that can't be fixed, a transmission that can't be diagnosed, and a Corporate Office that refuses to deal with customers on ANY level whatsoever. I was told their Director of Customer Assistance does NOT read, or answer his mail, nor will he contact any customers. THIS is Mercedes Benz? THINK TWICE IF YOU ARE IN THE MARKET FOR A BENZ.....

Favorite Features

Supercharged Engine, that displays its prowess when IT wants to, not when you want it to. Sometimes a sugar rush of power - other times, nothing...

Suggested Improvements

Corporate Customer Assistance Department should ACTUALLY ASSIST THEIR CUSTOMERS. The transmission on this car is garbage. Bad build quality - should not have RATTLES AND SQUEAKS at 2500 - 3000 miles. I've bought and owned 13 cars over 28 years - THIS is the worst.