Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Seduced by the shining star
By MCJ

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

My wife thinks this car is beautiful and loves it because of that. I can only see the horrible reliability, expensive purchase price, and the crippling maintenance costs. Recently had an alternator go bad at 68K for a $900 surprise. No power, mushy ride, cheap stereo where 2 of 4 speakers don't work. Very high TCO in both money and frustration. Even the salesman admitted the C240 line had major quality problems and offered to sell us a newer model. No thanks!

My wife thinks it's beautiful and loves being seen in it. Decent in the snow. Easy to drive with good visibility.

Fix the reliability issues. A $40K + car should not have so many problems or at least should be fixed under warranty. Needs more power. It shouldn't take .5 seconds for the car to start responding to mashing on the gas pedal.

Sharp,comfortable luxury car
By carmbu

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

After about 50,000 miles, i still enjoy to drive the C240 everyday to work. It has never stranded me, and is a comfortable highway cruiser with decent gas mileage getting about 28mpg highway, though with just 168hp, I thought it would be better. I maintain it well and the interior and exterior look like the day I bought it. The car has been to the dealership though about 8 unscheduled times for various issues such as both catalytic converters failing, speaker failure, headlight assembly failure and battery dying without any warning. Still, all covered under warranty.

Steering wheel controls, computer screen, comfortable for driver and passengers, good high speed handling and stability, always nice to show up places in a Mercedes.

Better overall build quality. Sound system that belongs in a luxury car justice, bigger mirrors, more power

Mercedes-Benz for life!
By MBconvert

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought this car because I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to own a Mercedes?" The answer is yes. The car takes care of everything and just lets you drive. Rain-sensing wipers, automatic climate control, speed sensitive radio volume, excellent handling, decent power; they thought of everything. I am tall at 6'2", and I actually don't put the seat all the way back! At $23k for a 16 month-old car it's a bargain. I've only had one problem; the automatic climate control stopped working one very hot (100+ degrees) day, and I had to switch to manual controls. It started working again the next day. This car had been more reliable than my Toyota Celica, and a hell of a lot more fun.

I love the leg room and excellent gas mileage (32 highway, 25 city). Why can't Americans make cars like this?

Perhaps my moonroof doesn't work right, but I have to hold down the close button or it stops halfway and goes back to full open. Also, this car is heavy at 4000 lbs, so 189 HP is not that much. The original tires (Michelin Pilot sports) had to be replaced at 25k miles.

A Great Car for the Money
By Todd

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my C240 for a little over 4 years. Having previously owned a 1997 Toyota Camry, I've found Mercedes to be quite reliable, though not as reliable as the Camry. The exterior has worn well, with a good deal of shine still left in the paint (I have no garage). The interior, however, is quite cheaply made and it shows. A later redesign dealt with this issue. I plan to buy another C-Class sedan when the redesigned 2008 model appears.

Great handling and drive. Head-turning vehicle. Minimal mechanical problems.

Cheap-looking interior. Sub-par quality leather inserts.A few annoying electrical glitches.

Super Fun Car!
By Miss D

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have really enjoyed driving this car. My only issue with M-B is the options packages. They make it too hard to get what you want. I initially had a problem with the memory seats but after 2 trips to the dealer it was fixed. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a great drive with lots of WOW factor!

Great drive, awesome stereo system, cool options.

Electrical and available options.