Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

It saved my life
By Janet

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our c320 used with under 60.000 miles on it. I could have had a new Corola but why when for less money I could drive the cute little Benz? After nearly 2 years of ownership I was struck in the driver's side door by a truck. I was nearly sitting still at the time but he was going at least 35 mph. I was rushed to a local trauma center, with the damage the car took officials feared I wouldn't service. The airbags deployed, the door was pushed in about a foot but I left the hospital the same day with only a broken arm. The safety rating is accurate, now I'm a devoted Mercedez driver.

The car was comfortable and fun to drive, obviously though my favorite feature is how very safe it was.

It wasn't very Americanized, no cup holders in comparison but a small, small price to pay.

Excellent car still going strong!
By guile

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my C240 after I totaled my 3- series BMW so the MB was not the same sporty performance ride, but it's no slush box either. Interior is very comfortable with supportive seats in nice leather, typical of Mercedes at all levels. Power is produced via a 2.6 L V6, delivering 168 hp (not so bad back in '03, but hardly stellar) in a linear fashion. It's very smooth and the car doesn't feel like it's on at idle (have to double check every now and then). Cons are the loud air conditioning. Only one problem with the cat converter and that was fixed under warranty. Just change the oil regularly (every 10k mi) and you should have no issues. My car was made in Brazil according to door jamb.

One touch up/down windows, nice leather seats, ergonomic controls favoring the driver, cool cup holder design, hydraulic hood and non- imposing trunk closure, excellent German brakes .

Limited back seats for four adults, ability to modify radio more easily, "leather" on inside door rests cracking, AC too loud on highest setting

Great entry level Mercedes
By Steve

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I'm pleased with my purchase. The cost for maintenance and repairs are the worst aspect of this vehicle. When it is time to do brake work, be prepared to drop $1,000. Mercedes is the only one who can get the specialized soft brake pads with the specialized coating. It handles exceptional for a 4-cylinder vehicle. It can turn on a dime and has uncharacteristically fast acceleration for a small car. Great car for a first Mercedes or for a hand-me-down to a teenager.

I love the weather band radio. The leather and interior quality is overall very good. The entire glass roof is a nice feature. It feels like a safe and responsive car.

Because of the glass sunroof, you get occasional creaks when changing driving surfaces (like turning slowly from driveway onto street). Improve the plastics durability. Improve the AIS system which is common to go out and very expensive to fix/replace.

Mercedes has become Chrysler!
By No more Mercedes

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Mercedes used to be one of the best quality, most reliable, a durable cars. Since they merged their purchasing / procurement function with Chrysler and decided to globalize themselves instead of being 100% German, the Mercedes quality degenerated to the level of Chrysler or even below. I love the design and the functionality of the station wagon. I love driving it. But the QUALITY? My car within 30,000 miles had 2 catalytic converters, 2 (!) alternators, engine gaskets (ouch) and several little bottoms replaced. 2 door knobs and parts of 2 doors were replaced. The headlights after 50,000 miles are no longer possible to turn off, electrical problem with several thousand dollar repair cost

Design, functionality.

STAY AWAY (REALLY)
By Wade

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I've never been more disappointed in the quality and value of a vehicle. Initial purchase was used from a dealer. Vehicle had 43K at the time. Replaced door handles that literally broke off inside door panel. Air conditioner had musty odor and has even after spending $400+ still has odor. Air ventilation baffle (determines vents to blow from) is broken and too expensive to repair. Failures at 63K miles: Ignition coil (3) $700+ Starter motor $600+ Transmission plug gasket $200+ Spark plugs $300+ Transmission mounts $200+ Motor mounts - not repaired yet Control arms - not repaired yet just spent $2100 this month and about $2000 more to go. STAY AWAY.

Ergonomics are generally good. Vehicle handles well. Pretty peppy

Interior build quality. Overall vehicle quality is poor at best.