2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Best car I've ever owned!
By onequickcobra on 01/02/09 19:00 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car does everything well! Unparalled safety, even when compard to new cars today, great performance (I live at 9,000 ft. elevation in Colorado and run at 75-90 mph in the mountains between Denver and Breckenridge easily). It gets 27.5 mpg average hwy. if I hold it to 70. With 73,000 miles, total maintenance expense, other than tires, has been under $800. Oil changes are every 13,000 miles and it never uses a drop in between. No repair costs have been incurred in 6 years. Only one warranty claim was experienced 3 years ago for a slight transmisson fluid leak in -15 degree and below weather (a brittle o-ring). Having owned over 60 cars over the past 40 years, this is by far the best

Rating the C240
By Bradsrq on 03/23/08 08:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

We bought our C240 preowned back in Dec 07. So far, there have been several issues. Cup holder had to be replaced as well as both rear door outside handles. Now there is an issue with catalytic converter. Dealer says it may be defective. Car had 24K miles when we bought it. Now has 28K miles. Love the way the car looks and interior, but not sure about quality. Gas mileage not that great either. We traded in a 99 230 compressor which was a better overall car. Not sure if we would buy Merc Benz again.

This is a Mercedes engine in a Chrysler
By ReverendSmoke on 02/07/08 14:35 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Ever since Mercedes and Chrysler merged, the quality of Mercedes has dropped. This car can hit 150MPH (track) without tossing and turning. Acceleration is excellent. Fuel economy is amazing, even when driving city very fast, I average 17mpg or even 19mpg. The downside is the interior - cheap nasty plastic(of American design). No more German luxury. You dont realize it because you are excited about your new 'Benz'. After a few days you start to realize that this is not a Benz. A bBenz is about luxury. If you can't enjoy your Benz and show off to your friends, then what good is it? Exterior design is beautiful. Interior is terrible. Parts are ridiculously expensive. And they wear so fast and break

German Luxury?
By drivemeee on 08/10/07 14:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This car has been nothing but trouble. New torque converter, transmission service twice, new radiatior, seatbelt retractor, cam sensor, ecu unit, wiper motor, wiper control stalk and unit, valve rollers and sensor again, power window and lock control unit, a/c control unit, shift program controller, hard shift and grinding sound three times-ended up being upgraded spec auto transmission fluid.

Seduced by the shining star
By MCJ on 04/29/07 10:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

My wife thinks this car is beautiful and loves it because of that. I can only see the horrible reliability, expensive purchase price, and the crippling maintenance costs. Recently had an alternator go bad at 68K for a $900 surprise. No power, mushy ride, cheap stereo where 2 of 4 speakers don't work. Very high TCO in both money and frustration. Even the salesman admitted the C240 line had major quality problems and offered to sell us a newer model. No thanks!

Sharp,comfortable luxury car
By carmbu on 04/18/07 10:31 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

After about 50,000 miles, i still enjoy to drive the C240 everyday to work. It has never stranded me, and is a comfortable highway cruiser with decent gas mileage getting about 28mpg highway, though with just 168hp, I thought it would be better. I maintain it well and the interior and exterior look like the day I bought it. The car has been to the dealership though about 8 unscheduled times for various issues such as both catalytic converters failing, speaker failure, headlight assembly failure and battery dying without any warning. Still, all covered under warranty.

Mercedes-Benz for life!
By MBconvert on 01/20/07 00:18 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought this car because I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to own a Mercedes?" The answer is yes. The car takes care of everything and just lets you drive. Rain-sensing wipers, automatic climate control, speed sensitive radio volume, excellent handling, decent power; they thought of everything. I am tall at 6'2", and I actually don't put the seat all the way back! At $23k for a 16 month-old car it's a bargain. I've only had one problem; the automatic climate control stopped working one very hot (100+ degrees) day, and I had to switch to manual controls. It started working again the next day. This car had been more reliable than my Toyota Celica, and a hell of a lot more fun.

A Great Car for the Money
By Todd on 01/04/07 12:46 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my C240 for a little over 4 years. Having previously owned a 1997 Toyota Camry, I've found Mercedes to be quite reliable, though not as reliable as the Camry. The exterior has worn well, with a good deal of shine still left in the paint (I have no garage). The interior, however, is quite cheaply made and it shows. A later redesign dealt with this issue. I plan to buy another C-Class sedan when the redesigned 2008 model appears.

Super Fun Car!
By Miss D on 12/29/06 08:55 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have really enjoyed driving this car. My only issue with M-B is the options packages. They make it too hard to get what you want. I initially had a problem with the memory seats but after 2 trips to the dealer it was fixed. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a great drive with lots of WOW factor!

Great for now
By Harry O on 11/28/06 11:04 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This car is my second Mercedes and my 4th car. I like the style and the handling. Gas mileage is great. The computer is great too. I notice small things like the windshield wipers not coming on when the door is open so as not to throw water on you (among several other neat attributes). The dash display seems to be shorting a bit or simply burning out. The sunroof doesn't close fully in auto mode as it should.