Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Spend more up and get a bigger Mercedes
By Doug

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I had this as my first car. The car is very attractive. I have had numerous problems such as, alternator, batteries, serpentine belt. I would also note that I upgraded the drive train, supercharger belt, and the exhaust. This improved the gas mileage on the highway to 33-35. I would also like to note the faux leather placed on knobs and buttons have begun to fall apart. Outside of that the car is cool, also all of mercedeces cars during this time had trouble with fiberoptics, which were just being introduced. This could explain the "ghost" that seems to plague most mercedes of the early 2000's. I would recommend buying domestic because they are cheaper to repair

Styling and fuel mileage

Electronic system

Love this little car!
By JAG

Recently purchased this car for commute to and from work. Averaging 25 mpg, over 30 on the freeway! The car is sporty but not overly flashy, and is a lot of fun to drive. It is our second MB, and now I wonder why we ever drove anything else. It is a much stiffer ride than most MBs, but that just adds to the sporty feel of it. Bigger back seat than you would think for the size of the car, and the seats fold down so you can fit a surprising amount of cargo when necessary. This car is destined to be passed to our oldest when she begins driving.

MB prestige, steering wheel controls, hatch back and folding seats, sporty feel

On board computer menus are complicated

Watch out! Benz not what marketed...
By jonatan

I purchased this car used for 15,500 in Feb. 2007 with only 40,000 miles on it. It handled well but sucks gas like you cant believe. It doesn't help that every trip to the station requires 93 octane either. Regardless, 13,000 miles later (3000 off warantee) one morning, a complete suprise, the engine begins to shake. I take it to get the oil changed only to have the entire car give out 30 mins later. I had it towed to the dealership to find out that 2 pistons were bent 5' totaling a bill of 4800.00 dollars. This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening since I bought the car. Maybe thats why they stopped making this model?? left me with 8000 neg. equity for my next car. Thnks benz

fast, especially when you kick into the auto-stick shifter.

Make a more dependable car. IT SUCKS STAY AWAY!!!

I Love My C230 Kompressor Sport
By MB Driver

Traded my gas guzzling Range Rover in on this C-230 Sport sedan. Great driver, affordable MB. Eye catching style...I highly recommend this car!

Style, design, fuel economy

Just a bit more power would be great!

Good times don't last.
By azally

This was my first car. I'm in high school and even though I'm young I love and research cars nonstop. I have had my c230 coupe since 9/06 and it was my dream car until about a month ago. My sunroof cable broke and that was the only part that the extended warranty didnt cover. Less than a week later, my engine started shaking and the check engine came on. Took it in and there is a flaw with Mercedes and something in the cylinders can get stuck open and dont bet on your insurance/warranty place to cover anything. Cost for new cylinder: $5000. Too much maintainance, in shop too much, need a more reliable car so I'm selling. Overall, I love the car to death but not worth the time in the shop and hassle.

Look of the front end, great sunroof and 2nd moonroof for the back seat. Kompressor kicks in and it's fun to drive

No CD player? Back end looks need to be improved. Need to be more reliable. If you can afford spending at least a couple grand a month to maintain it, then there is no problem.