2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Honest C230 Coupe Review
By Mark J on 04/04/07 09:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have had this car for over 4 years now and still looks sharp. Paint has held up well and even where I have chips/scrapes very little rust. Excellent gas mileage (28+) for such a sporty car. Good performance and still feels 'solid' (no flex or gives) just like when I bought it. Very comfortable for a small car as long as you are not too tall in back seat. Trunk room is average for small car. Would get higher ratings but it's a horrible car in the snow. I got stuck once on flat driveway <1" snow. With all season tires still bad in snow. Also, car is very tough on tires, wearing them quickly. Car was in shop 4 times (fortunately under warranty) for computer and sensor prob.

Everything You Wanted for This Price
By Bumpy1800 on 12/17/06 10:04 AM (PST)

No problems whatsoever. I get around 33mpg on long interstate trips, but only about 20 or so in town. I don't even try to go out if we get a few inches of snow. First winter, got stuck by my mailbox and the mail lady helped push me out, in 3" of snow. Tried top of the line snow tires plus sand bags and got nothing. This is the only complaint with this car, save the onboard computer controls could be a bit clearer, but I hardly use them anyway. Car is pretty, and 3 years later still gets turned heads when I pull a corner! From adults, too! Turns nice and tight, has a ton of features for such a "cheap" car.

I love this car.
By Adam on 11/01/06 14:03 PM (PST)

I was literally one of the first to buy a 2003 C230 coupe and I've loved it ever since. I have to be completely honest here and tell you that its had its fair share of electrical problems. The only problem was the engine was revving at idle just slightly, but this was fixed by replacing the engine controller (paid by warranty) and now it runs smooth as ever. This was the first MB to have the M271 engine and I was expecting some bugs. Other than that I've had the check engine light come on at least a half dozen times, but I've got that taken care of now. I've had no mechanical problems of any kind, no squeaks, rattles or anything like that, just minor electrical problems. Love the car!

Love the Technology
By colby on 07/07/06 20:38 PM (PDT)

So far great! Love the high tech performance of a world class engine, that is way ahead of its time. This type engine technology is currently being copied by US automakers. This is a real race car engine. British F3 series open wheel cars, which equates too 160mph. They are destroying the other cars that run Hondas. Adaptive performance in a hatchback, is a car that is a phnomenal value in my book.

If Mercedes Benz built a Mustang
By RGrant on 07/06/06 11:31 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C320 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

If Mercedes Benz built a Mustang; this would be it. I have had my C320 coupe for almost 3 years and a little over 30K miles. It is one of the rare ones equipped with short throw a six speed manual. (Less than 50 C320s with manuals where imported from Germany). The car continues to make me smile everytime I drive it. The acceleration is impressive, the handling tight and the fuel economy, surprisingly good. There will never be a Mercedes quite like this one in the US again; too bad. I've heard that the C350 version in Europe (278HP) can do 0-60 in 5.4 sec.

Somewhat disappointing
By kala on 10/29/05 15:05 PM (PDT)

I leased it 3 years ago and it was my first MB. Initially it was a fun car to drive. With the Kompressor engine I was zipping around and not spending a lot on gas. But as soon as it started to snow it was terrible. I've driven rear-wheel drives in the snow before, but the torque was too much and I was spinning all over the place. Also, the A/C and heat is so weak, thankfully I had the heated seats. I'm turning it in in 3 weeks and getting a C280 4Matic. Also, the dealer told me MB stopped making the C230 coupes...I wonder why...

Economic Magnificence
By Chaz on 08/03/05 12:00 PM (PDT)

I could not believe that a working man could own a Benz w/5 year, 50K mile all inclusive plan for the same price as a moderate class GM or other American car. The car is flawless, gets 30+ MPG and is a blast when using the tap shifter with the rev limiter. Winding roads are fun. It has that classic Mercedes feel on the road. I have driven it 45K miles and have had it serviced by the dealer. It has cost me nothing except brake pads and I replaced them myself. There's not a shake, rattle or roll in the car. I smile every time I get to drive it.I have owned a new Lincoln, Chrysler, Volkswagon, Chevy's and my Benz beats them all. I bought a twin Benz in 2003 for my wife. Bravo! Mercedes

1st Mercedes
By JMAC on 06/25/05 20:32 PM (PDT)

Not another Camry or Accord. More cost effective than BMW or Audi. Very good exterior style - turns heads. I was looking for a Passat, and when I saw the Mercedes and test drove it, I was sold.

Mercedes C230 Coupe
By ageesey on 04/23/05 22:06 PM (PDT)

This is a great car, even though that it is the cheapest Mercedes sold. It's a fun car to drive and still has all of the safety features expected from a Mercedes. The leather makes a huge difference over the cloth and gives the car that luxury feel. Panorama sunroof makes the ride enjoyable for rear seat passengers and there is enough room in the back for full sized adults. Overall, an excellent car.

Great ride
By Mark on 04/23/05 13:25 PM (PDT)

I have now owned this car for 2 1/2 years and thought an update would be appropriate. I purchased this car in Honolulu but have since moved to the mainland. This car has been from Louisiana to California twice and to Chicago and back once. All three of these trips averaged around 29 MPG, with an average speed nearing 75 MPH! Not bad. The last trip was a 1705 mile trip over two days; I had no back pain with very few stops. This car does have more creaks and rattles than I would like, is very small, and doesn't handle much luggage, but for a work day runner and with the cost of gas today, I still made a fantastic choice.