Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

2003 C240
By John Miller

RUN RUN RUN
By ILM2011

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my 2003 C320 for about a 1 1/2 yrs and it was the worst purchase of my life. I bought the vehicle with 119k miles so I knew it would need some TLC but I never thought it would need as much as it has. 2 weeks after purchasing the alternator light came on. I have that replaced for about $400. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty and they covered half of the cost. I live in Indiana where the winters can be VERY cold and snowy. Rear wheel drive in the winter IS NOT FUN. During the summer it drove great but as soon as the temps reached below 50 the car started having issues starting. I would go out in the morning to start it and nothing. completely dead. I thought maybe it needed a new battery. So I spent $167 on a new battery. STILL HAD ISSUES. I am a single mother so I do not have time nor do I have the money to get this fixed. This car has made me late to work with it's starting issues multiple times. Thank God I will be trading this vehicle in soon. I also had other issues fixed that cost me around $900. This might be a flashy car, BUT NOT RELIABLE. I am done paying for premium gas and $60 oil changes. If you have to extra cash to throw around on this car to fix its issues everyone other week, then buy one! But I have had nothing but problems. The passenger seat also decided to stop working. There is just too much electric powered everything and the battery can not keep up or it is just made poorly. I will now be sticking with American made cars for the rest of my life. Thanks Mercedes-Benz for making a crap car and making me spend over $1000 just to get to point A to point B.

Disappointed
By Steve

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Just got rid of this after 2 years. Soon after buying, back of the passenger seat fell-off, then, the engine's serpentine belt fell-off & left me w/o power steering & in serious danger of overheating. Then the interior door handle of the driver's-side door broke off, then the driver's cup-holder broke. Round logo inserts in center of wheels fell off. Right driver arm-rest/storage lid gets sticky & attracts a layer of grime. The interior door handles made of malleable plastic discolor & become mismatched with the rest of the arm-rest assembly & scratches and looks terrible. Then, I discovered RUST on all door bottoms & above the license plate. Then the a/c dampers began to malfunction.

Exterior styling and automatic transmission that can be driven as standard, if desired.

Better interior and exterior quality. Skip the cassette player and make the digital dash display more user- friendly.

Stay away
By NAVEEZEAL

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have had many mechanical issues and the to fix the cost is an arm and a leg. I have spent so much money trying to get it up to par to no avail. Every time something is fixed another problem comes up!

The looks!

An excellent car that holds up well...
By guile

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

My car has been with me since brand new, now going on 142,000 miles and counting. Issues have been catalytic converter (under warranty), front headlights, steering linkage break, serpentine belt replacement (at 130,000 miles), leather interior cracking, faux leather on shift knob coming off, CD changer jamming, blower fuse melting and compressor breaking, and small ghosting on console display. Performance is decent for a car with 168hp. Gas mileage could be better but I drive like a maniac with quick acceleration so no fault of the car. I'm pretty satisfied with the car and feel fortunate I don't have the issues so many others have. This car was manufactured in Brazil.

Supportive leather seats, good handling, peppy low end power, one- touch windows.

Headlights that are easier to replace: you need baby-sized hands to get into the small space they wedged the lamps into! Tan interior gets dirty fast, will not buy light colored interior car again. Front hood seems to need more coats of paint to hide rock chips.