2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Disappointed
By Steve on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Just got rid of this after 2 years. Soon after buying, back of the passenger seat fell-off, then, the engine's serpentine belt fell-off & left me w/o power steering & in serious danger of overheating. Then the interior door handle of the driver's-side door broke off, then the driver's cup-holder broke. Round logo inserts in center of wheels fell off. Right driver arm-rest/storage lid gets sticky & attracts a layer of grime. The interior door handles made of malleable plastic discolor & become mismatched with the rest of the arm-rest assembly & scratches and looks terrible. Then, I discovered RUST on all door bottoms & above the license plate. Then the a/c dampers began to malfunction.

Stay away
By NAVEEZEAL on 08/08/10 05:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have had many mechanical issues and the to fix the cost is an arm and a leg. I have spent so much money trying to get it up to par to no avail. Every time something is fixed another problem comes up!

An excellent car that holds up well...
By guile on 06/25/10 19:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

My car has been with me since brand new, now going on 142,000 miles and counting. Issues have been catalytic converter (under warranty), front headlights, steering linkage break, serpentine belt replacement (at 130,000 miles), leather interior cracking, faux leather on shift knob coming off, CD changer jamming, blower fuse melting and compressor breaking, and small ghosting on console display. Performance is decent for a car with 168hp. Gas mileage could be better but I drive like a maniac with quick acceleration so no fault of the car. I'm pretty satisfied with the car and feel fortunate I don't have the issues so many others have. This car was manufactured in Brazil.

Excellent car still going strong!
By guile on 05/02/10 21:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my C240 after I totaled my 3- series BMW so the MB was not the same sporty performance ride, but it's no slush box either. Interior is very comfortable with supportive seats in nice leather, typical of Mercedes at all levels. Power is produced via a 2.6 L V6, delivering 168 hp (not so bad back in '03, but hardly stellar) in a linear fashion. It's very smooth and the car doesn't feel like it's on at idle (have to double check every now and then). Cons are the loud air conditioning. Only one problem with the cat converter and that was fixed under warranty. Just change the oil regularly (every 10k mi) and you should have no issues. My car was made in Brazil according to door jamb.

STAY AWAY (REALLY)
By Wade on 03/15/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I've never been more disappointed in the quality and value of a vehicle. Initial purchase was used from a dealer. Vehicle had 43K at the time. Replaced door handles that literally broke off inside door panel. Air conditioner had musty odor and has even after spending $400+ still has odor. Air ventilation baffle (determines vents to blow from) is broken and too expensive to repair. Failures at 63K miles: Ignition coil (3) $700+ Starter motor $600+ Transmission plug gasket $200+ Spark plugs $300+ Transmission mounts $200+ Motor mounts - not repaired yet Control arms - not repaired yet just spent $2100 this month and about $2000 more to go. STAY AWAY.

Mercedes should recall the door handles
By eurocarman1962 on 01/24/09 22:45 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this sporty Mercedes C 240 for going on 3 years. It's my 5th Mercedes, but I got to tell you, the Daimler folks really screwed up on the interior door handle design, as all four have broken off, actually broken off!? The problem is that they connect to the side airbag system so you can't just glue them back. I would expect more from Mercedes-Benz, this isn't a Honda or a Chevy, this is a Mercedes. The car runs fine, although the over usage of plastic on the under carriage is a bit nutty. Also, the factory didn't even put an oil dipstick? I bought a Jaguar X-Type since, now I am happy.

Rating the C240
By Bradsrq on 03/23/08 08:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

We bought our C240 preowned back in Dec 07. So far, there have been several issues. Cup holder had to be replaced as well as both rear door outside handles. Now there is an issue with catalytic converter. Dealer says it may be defective. Car had 24K miles when we bought it. Now has 28K miles. Love the way the car looks and interior, but not sure about quality. Gas mileage not that great either. We traded in a 99 230 compressor which was a better overall car. Not sure if we would buy Merc Benz again.

German Luxury?
By drivemeee on 08/10/07 14:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This car has been nothing but trouble. New torque converter, transmission service twice, new radiatior, seatbelt retractor, cam sensor, ecu unit, wiper motor, wiper control stalk and unit, valve rollers and sensor again, power window and lock control unit, a/c control unit, shift program controller, hard shift and grinding sound three times-ended up being upgraded spec auto transmission fluid.

Seduced by the shining star
By MCJ on 04/29/07 10:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

My wife thinks this car is beautiful and loves it because of that. I can only see the horrible reliability, expensive purchase price, and the crippling maintenance costs. Recently had an alternator go bad at 68K for a $900 surprise. No power, mushy ride, cheap stereo where 2 of 4 speakers don't work. Very high TCO in both money and frustration. Even the salesman admitted the C240 line had major quality problems and offered to sell us a newer model. No thanks!

Sharp,comfortable luxury car
By carmbu on 04/18/07 10:31 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

After about 50,000 miles, i still enjoy to drive the C240 everyday to work. It has never stranded me, and is a comfortable highway cruiser with decent gas mileage getting about 28mpg highway, though with just 168hp, I thought it would be better. I maintain it well and the interior and exterior look like the day I bought it. The car has been to the dealership though about 8 unscheduled times for various issues such as both catalytic converters failing, speaker failure, headlight assembly failure and battery dying without any warning. Still, all covered under warranty.