2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
A Love/Hate Relationship
By sportbiker1 on 05/07/11 19:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The 'Sway Bar Rods' go regularly. Fortunately, they go within a year so are covered under parts warranty. Fender liner fell off, CV boots replaced, heater door motor broke, signal switch broke, rear speakers rattled, driver's seat belt squeaked, rear set belts lock up at -25C, passenger seat bottom loose, rear door lock knobs come loose and the rod drops inside, headlight bulbs are $180 each!. Nothing serious mechanically though. Bit it is starting to rust at the same place on all 4 of the doors.

Love every thing about it
By e626 on 12/11/10 06:29 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I originally wanted the m. B. E350 but my husband said that we would be spending a lot more money on gas. So he got me the c240 and I have to say that I love this car we bought it used with 98,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable drives great, and I look forward to taking long trips in it. I previously owned a 2002 BMW 330i and I thought that that was the best car ever, but I have to say I like this one just as much. It has that luxury and sports car look to it, the interior is excellent and very comfortable. I am definitely going to buy another m. B.

Disappointed
By Steve on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Just got rid of this after 2 years. Soon after buying, back of the passenger seat fell-off, then, the engine's serpentine belt fell-off & left me w/o power steering & in serious danger of overheating. Then the interior door handle of the driver's-side door broke off, then the driver's cup-holder broke. Round logo inserts in center of wheels fell off. Right driver arm-rest/storage lid gets sticky & attracts a layer of grime. The interior door handles made of malleable plastic discolor & become mismatched with the rest of the arm-rest assembly & scratches and looks terrible. Then, I discovered RUST on all door bottoms & above the license plate. Then the a/c dampers began to malfunction.

Stay away
By NAVEEZEAL on 08/08/10 05:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have had many mechanical issues and the to fix the cost is an arm and a leg. I have spent so much money trying to get it up to par to no avail. Every time something is fixed another problem comes up!

Worst nighmare please read!
By NEVERagainBenz on 07/11/10 00:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C230 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought the 03 Mercedes c230k sport sedan from dealership used with just over 50,000 miles. Had problems after two weeks and never quit. Engine dying, chugging, losing power 4 different times in less than a year, all suspension replaced, two rims bent, rough ride severe right pulling, sunroof broke, rear defroster didn't work, multiple check engine lights, transmission stuck or thumped occasionally, many sensors replaced. And there's still more! Had the car less than a year and went from 50-60k miles and dozens of problems and thousands and thousands in repairs. Will never get a Mercedes again! If you are thinking of getting this car please don't do it! I now have a Toyota and couldn't be happier.

An excellent car that holds up well...
By guile on 06/25/10 19:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

My car has been with me since brand new, now going on 142,000 miles and counting. Issues have been catalytic converter (under warranty), front headlights, steering linkage break, serpentine belt replacement (at 130,000 miles), leather interior cracking, faux leather on shift knob coming off, CD changer jamming, blower fuse melting and compressor breaking, and small ghosting on console display. Performance is decent for a car with 168hp. Gas mileage could be better but I drive like a maniac with quick acceleration so no fault of the car. I'm pretty satisfied with the car and feel fortunate I don't have the issues so many others have. This car was manufactured in Brazil.

It saved my life
By Janet on 06/22/10 19:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our c320 used with under 60.000 miles on it. I could have had a new Corola but why when for less money I could drive the cute little Benz? After nearly 2 years of ownership I was struck in the driver's side door by a truck. I was nearly sitting still at the time but he was going at least 35 mph. I was rushed to a local trauma center, with the damage the car took officials feared I wouldn't service. The airbags deployed, the door was pushed in about a foot but I left the hospital the same day with only a broken arm. The safety rating is accurate, now I'm a devoted Mercedez driver.

Excellent car still going strong!
By guile on 05/02/10 21:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my C240 after I totaled my 3- series BMW so the MB was not the same sporty performance ride, but it's no slush box either. Interior is very comfortable with supportive seats in nice leather, typical of Mercedes at all levels. Power is produced via a 2.6 L V6, delivering 168 hp (not so bad back in '03, but hardly stellar) in a linear fashion. It's very smooth and the car doesn't feel like it's on at idle (have to double check every now and then). Cons are the loud air conditioning. Only one problem with the cat converter and that was fixed under warranty. Just change the oil regularly (every 10k mi) and you should have no issues. My car was made in Brazil according to door jamb.

STAY AWAY (REALLY)
By Wade on 03/15/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I've never been more disappointed in the quality and value of a vehicle. Initial purchase was used from a dealer. Vehicle had 43K at the time. Replaced door handles that literally broke off inside door panel. Air conditioner had musty odor and has even after spending $400+ still has odor. Air ventilation baffle (determines vents to blow from) is broken and too expensive to repair. Failures at 63K miles: Ignition coil (3) $700+ Starter motor $600+ Transmission plug gasket $200+ Spark plugs $300+ Transmission mounts $200+ Motor mounts - not repaired yet Control arms - not repaired yet just spent $2100 this month and about $2000 more to go. STAY AWAY.

Mercedes should recall the door handles
By eurocarman1962 on 01/24/09 22:45 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this sporty Mercedes C 240 for going on 3 years. It's my 5th Mercedes, but I got to tell you, the Daimler folks really screwed up on the interior door handle design, as all four have broken off, actually broken off!? The problem is that they connect to the side airbag system so you can't just glue them back. I would expect more from Mercedes-Benz, this isn't a Honda or a Chevy, this is a Mercedes. The car runs fine, although the over usage of plastic on the under carriage is a bit nutty. Also, the factory didn't even put an oil dipstick? I bought a Jaguar X-Type since, now I am happy.