Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

RUN RUN RUN
By ILM2011

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my 2003 C320 for about a 1 1/2 yrs and it was the worst purchase of my life. I bought the vehicle with 119k miles so I knew it would need some TLC but I never thought it would need as much as it has. 2 weeks after purchasing the alternator light came on. I have that replaced for about $400. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty and they covered half of the cost. I live in Indiana where the winters can be VERY cold and snowy. Rear wheel drive in the winter IS NOT FUN. During the summer it drove great but as soon as the temps reached below 50 the car started having issues starting. I would go out in the morning to start it and nothing. completely dead. I thought maybe it needed a new battery. So I spent $167 on a new battery. STILL HAD ISSUES. I am a single mother so I do not have time nor do I have the money to get this fixed. This car has made me late to work with it's starting issues multiple times. Thank God I will be trading this vehicle in soon. I also had other issues fixed that cost me around $900. This might be a flashy car, BUT NOT RELIABLE. I am done paying for premium gas and $60 oil changes. If you have to extra cash to throw around on this car to fix its issues everyone other week, then buy one! But I have had nothing but problems. The passenger seat also decided to stop working. There is just too much electric powered everything and the battery can not keep up or it is just made poorly. I will now be sticking with American made cars for the rest of my life. Thanks Mercedes-Benz for making a crap car and making me spend over $1000 just to get to point A to point B.

Unbelievable
By John

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I am 61 hears old. I driven hundreds of cars and worked as a race car engineer and also t dealerships and never, never in all that time have I come across a car with so many design faults and poor quality components. The many forums tell the story. Bottom line is that Mercedes tried to reinvent the wheel at every phase of the design in general, but especially with the electrics. The SAM system is a joke. The seat adjusting compoents, another joke. In fact any of the electrical systems not associated with the engine (except the stupid oil level sensor instead of dipstick!) are a joke. I would love to meet the chief electronics design engineer of thsee vehicles.

A Love/Hate Relationship
By sportbiker1

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The 'Sway Bar Rods' go regularly. Fortunately, they go within a year so are covered under parts warranty. Fender liner fell off, CV boots replaced, heater door motor broke, signal switch broke, rear speakers rattled, driver's seat belt squeaked, rear set belts lock up at -25C, passenger seat bottom loose, rear door lock knobs come loose and the rod drops inside, headlight bulbs are $180 each!. Nothing serious mechanically though. Bit it is starting to rust at the same place on all 4 of the doors.

Bose stereo is fantastic! Power and handling are great! Lots of great accessories make it a good experience every day.

Constantly breaking 'sway bar rods' is terrible. Each door is starting to rust in exactly the same spot" bottom rear corner, about 1" in from edge. A car this age with 114,000 kms should have NO rust - especially the way I keep it meticulously clean. Mainly because of the rust, I have to replace it now while I can. So it's a Lexus GS300 AWD. No more problems, but I will sadly miss the performance and bling of the Benz.

Love every thing about it
By e626

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I originally wanted the m. B. E350 but my husband said that we would be spending a lot more money on gas. So he got me the c240 and I have to say that I love this car we bought it used with 98,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable drives great, and I look forward to taking long trips in it. I previously owned a 2002 BMW 330i and I thought that that was the best car ever, but I have to say I like this one just as much. It has that luxury and sports car look to it, the interior is excellent and very comfortable. I am definitely going to buy another m. B.

Interior/exterior styling, handling /braking, performance, gas mileage

NONE

Disappointed
By Steve

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Just got rid of this after 2 years. Soon after buying, back of the passenger seat fell-off, then, the engine's serpentine belt fell-off & left me w/o power steering & in serious danger of overheating. Then the interior door handle of the driver's-side door broke off, then the driver's cup-holder broke. Round logo inserts in center of wheels fell off. Right driver arm-rest/storage lid gets sticky & attracts a layer of grime. The interior door handles made of malleable plastic discolor & become mismatched with the rest of the arm-rest assembly & scratches and looks terrible. Then, I discovered RUST on all door bottoms & above the license plate. Then the a/c dampers began to malfunction.

Exterior styling and automatic transmission that can be driven as standard, if desired.

Better interior and exterior quality. Skip the cassette player and make the digital dash display more user- friendly.

• SUV