Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

C230 Bag for not much Buck
By kompressorking

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Recently bought my C230 Kompressor w/ manual 6 speed tranny. So far so good. It's just over 100,000 miles, 1 owner and care for... it shows. Also purchased and very extensive 5yr/100k extended warranty too. I've owned 72 cars (all different makes/models) and have been a BMW fan for ever. This is my 3rd Benz and its a pleasure to drive. 30+ mpg on the freeway @ 85+mph, shifts smooth and has decent power to climb freeway hills with ease, even in 6th gear. Traded in my Jaguar S-type for this and I have no regrets. I will say the Jaguar was a better looking car, but that's it. I'll update more as I add more miles...

6 speed manual, supercharger, 1/2 power - 1/2 manual from seats. Metal interior accents (none of that boring wood stuff), factory 17" rims, pretty kick-a$$ factory stereo system...

Front cup holders are worthless, "auto-on" headlights don't activate with the fog/driving lights which means if you like using the fogs, you CAN'T use the auto on, really??? The Kompressor engine is a little noisy but seems to be the norm with different years I've observed/heard, The bright RED paint wasn't my favorite choice, but its growing on my. Besides, small price to pay for a manual 6 speed Benz...

worth to keep
By laautoowner

I purchased this car when it was new back in October 2002. I was a sport package with leather n panorama roof and Bose system. Such a fun car to drive. Over the years I'd put on 130k mileage on it so far. This was my third car I purchased new. my kind of driving style both my civic and accord never made it to 120k... This 230k had been some cam repair done within the first 50k warranty. and replaced the OC sensor and some hosts last year. other than that I have no issue with the engine, transmission and the radiator whatsoever. It'd been such a reliable car. I'm going to keep this car for another 130k hopefully. and just do my synthetic oil change every 5k miles and see how far it can go..

sports car seat my body won't shift left and right. roomy rear seats, quality Bose System, exterior paint still show room shine after 8 years, very very quiet ride, good mileage...

Geat Car For The Money
By Mouse

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C320 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Been a very good car (close to 100K miles now). The only failures have been the hood struts, pano roof, and the multi function display. Both hood struts and MFD are easily fixed by anyone with the slightest mechanical skill. Pano roof is basically unfixable because of the significant cost (and lack of utility anyway). Handles very well had has adequate power. A bit slow off of the line though. Very practical as it is a hatchback and storage is generous. Rear seats fold down which gives even more cargo room. Simple to maintain yourself (both A & B service). Get one used with the leather interior and the Bose sound system (sound is excellent). Avoid the pano roof if possible. I give it an A-

Bose sound system Summer/Winter suspension modes V6 engine Leather seats very comfy Oil check system is great (no need to open hood)

A pano roof that is not prone to failure. Same for the multi function display.

Great entry level Mercedes
By Steve

I'm pleased with my purchase. The cost for maintenance and repairs are the worst aspect of this vehicle. When it is time to do brake work, be prepared to drop $1,000. Mercedes is the only one who can get the specialized soft brake pads with the specialized coating. It handles exceptional for a 4-cylinder vehicle. It can turn on a dime and has uncharacteristically fast acceleration for a small car. Great car for a first Mercedes or for a hand-me-down to a teenager.

I love the weather band radio. The leather and interior quality is overall very good. The entire glass roof is a nice feature. It feels like a safe and responsive car.

Because of the glass sunroof, you get occasional creaks when changing driving surfaces (like turning slowly from driveway onto street). Improve the plastics durability. Improve the AIS system which is common to go out and very expensive to fix/replace.

Little Benny Coup
By Doug

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C320 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

One owner, 40 k miles, has never been in the shop except for scheduled maintenance. Not too many of the V-6 coupes imported, hard to find in USA. Fast, fun to drive and gets great gas mileage.

Hugs the road, turns on a dime.

None