Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

C230 Bag for not much Buck
By kompressorking

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Recently bought my C230 Kompressor w/ manual 6 speed tranny. So far so good. It's just over 100,000 miles, 1 owner and care for... it shows. Also purchased and very extensive 5yr/100k extended warranty too. I've owned 72 cars (all different makes/models) and have been a BMW fan for ever. This is my 3rd Benz and its a pleasure to drive. 30+ mpg on the freeway @ 85+mph, shifts smooth and has decent power to climb freeway hills with ease, even in 6th gear. Traded in my Jaguar S-type for this and I have no regrets. I will say the Jaguar was a better looking car, but that's it. I'll update more as I add more miles...

Favorite Features

6 speed manual, supercharger, 1/2 power - 1/2 manual from seats. Metal interior accents (none of that boring wood stuff), factory 17" rims, pretty kick-a$$ factory stereo system...

Suggested Improvements

Front cup holders are worthless, "auto-on" headlights don't activate with the fog/driving lights which means if you like using the fogs, you CAN'T use the auto on, really??? The Kompressor engine is a little noisy but seems to be the norm with different years I've observed/heard, The bright RED paint wasn't my favorite choice, but its growing on my. Besides, small price to pay for a manual 6 speed Benz...

worth to keep
By laautoowner

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased this car when it was new back in October 2002. I was a sport package with leather n panorama roof and Bose system. Such a fun car to drive. Over the years I'd put on 130k mileage on it so far. This was my third car I purchased new. my kind of driving style both my civic and accord never made it to 120k... This 230k had been some cam repair done within the first 50k warranty. and replaced the OC sensor and some hosts last year. other than that I have no issue with the engine, transmission and the radiator whatsoever. It'd been such a reliable car. I'm going to keep this car for another 130k hopefully. and just do my synthetic oil change every 5k miles and see how far it can go..

Favorite Features

sports car seat my body won't shift left and right. roomy rear seats, quality Bose System, exterior paint still show room shine after 8 years, very very quiet ride, good mileage...

Great entry level Mercedes
By Steve

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I'm pleased with my purchase. The cost for maintenance and repairs are the worst aspect of this vehicle. When it is time to do brake work, be prepared to drop $1,000. Mercedes is the only one who can get the specialized soft brake pads with the specialized coating. It handles exceptional for a 4-cylinder vehicle. It can turn on a dime and has uncharacteristically fast acceleration for a small car. Great car for a first Mercedes or for a hand-me-down to a teenager.

Favorite Features

I love the weather band radio. The leather and interior quality is overall very good. The entire glass roof is a nice feature. It feels like a safe and responsive car.

Suggested Improvements

Because of the glass sunroof, you get occasional creaks when changing driving surfaces (like turning slowly from driveway onto street). Improve the plastics durability. Improve the AIS system which is common to go out and very expensive to fix/replace.

Spend more up and get a bigger Mercedes
By Doug

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I had this as my first car. The car is very attractive. I have had numerous problems such as, alternator, batteries, serpentine belt. I would also note that I upgraded the drive train, supercharger belt, and the exhaust. This improved the gas mileage on the highway to 33-35. I would also like to note the faux leather placed on knobs and buttons have begun to fall apart. Outside of that the car is cool, also all of mercedeces cars during this time had trouble with fiberoptics, which were just being introduced. This could explain the "ghost" that seems to plague most mercedes of the early 2000's. I would recommend buying domestic because they are cheaper to repair

Favorite Features

Styling and fuel mileage

Suggested Improvements

Electronic system

Love this little car!
By JAG

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Recently purchased this car for commute to and from work. Averaging 25 mpg, over 30 on the freeway! The car is sporty but not overly flashy, and is a lot of fun to drive. It is our second MB, and now I wonder why we ever drove anything else. It is a much stiffer ride than most MBs, but that just adds to the sporty feel of it. Bigger back seat than you would think for the size of the car, and the seats fold down so you can fit a surprising amount of cargo when necessary. This car is destined to be passed to our oldest when she begins driving.

Favorite Features

MB prestige, steering wheel controls, hatch back and folding seats, sporty feel

Suggested Improvements

On board computer menus are complicated