2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
C230 Bag for not much Buck
By kompressorking on 09/20/11 11:35 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Recently bought my C230 Kompressor w/ manual 6 speed tranny. So far so good. It's just over 100,000 miles, 1 owner and care for... it shows. Also purchased and very extensive 5yr/100k extended warranty too. I've owned 72 cars (all different makes/models) and have been a BMW fan for ever. This is my 3rd Benz and its a pleasure to drive. 30+ mpg on the freeway @ 85+mph, shifts smooth and has decent power to climb freeway hills with ease, even in 6th gear. Traded in my Jaguar S-type for this and I have no regrets. I will say the Jaguar was a better looking car, but that's it. I'll update more as I add more miles...

worth to keep
By laautoowner on 07/03/11 05:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased this car when it was new back in October 2002. I was a sport package with leather n panorama roof and Bose system. Such a fun car to drive. Over the years I'd put on 130k mileage on it so far. This was my third car I purchased new. my kind of driving style both my civic and accord never made it to 120k... This 230k had been some cam repair done within the first 50k warranty. and replaced the OC sensor and some hosts last year. other than that I have no issue with the engine, transmission and the radiator whatsoever. It'd been such a reliable car. I'm going to keep this car for another 130k hopefully. and just do my synthetic oil change every 5k miles and see how far it can go..

Great entry level Mercedes
By Steve on 05/03/09 07:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I'm pleased with my purchase. The cost for maintenance and repairs are the worst aspect of this vehicle. When it is time to do brake work, be prepared to drop $1,000. Mercedes is the only one who can get the specialized soft brake pads with the specialized coating. It handles exceptional for a 4-cylinder vehicle. It can turn on a dime and has uncharacteristically fast acceleration for a small car. Great car for a first Mercedes or for a hand-me-down to a teenager.

Spend more up and get a bigger Mercedes
By Doug on 01/20/09 19:28 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I had this as my first car. The car is very attractive. I have had numerous problems such as, alternator, batteries, serpentine belt. I would also note that I upgraded the drive train, supercharger belt, and the exhaust. This improved the gas mileage on the highway to 33-35. I would also like to note the faux leather placed on knobs and buttons have begun to fall apart. Outside of that the car is cool, also all of mercedeces cars during this time had trouble with fiberoptics, which were just being introduced. This could explain the "ghost" that seems to plague most mercedes of the early 2000's. I would recommend buying domestic because they are cheaper to repair

Love this little car!
By JAG on 03/14/08 06:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Recently purchased this car for commute to and from work. Averaging 25 mpg, over 30 on the freeway! The car is sporty but not overly flashy, and is a lot of fun to drive. It is our second MB, and now I wonder why we ever drove anything else. It is a much stiffer ride than most MBs, but that just adds to the sporty feel of it. Bigger back seat than you would think for the size of the car, and the seats fold down so you can fit a surprising amount of cargo when necessary. This car is destined to be passed to our oldest when she begins driving.

Watch out! Benz not what marketed...
By jonatan on 11/19/07 14:23 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased this car used for 15,500 in Feb. 2007 with only 40,000 miles on it. It handled well but sucks gas like you cant believe. It doesn't help that every trip to the station requires 93 octane either. Regardless, 13,000 miles later (3000 off warantee) one morning, a complete suprise, the engine begins to shake. I take it to get the oil changed only to have the entire car give out 30 mins later. I had it towed to the dealership to find out that 2 pistons were bent 5' totaling a bill of 4800.00 dollars. This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening since I bought the car. Maybe thats why they stopped making this model?? left me with 8000 neg. equity for my next car. Thnks benz

I Love My C230 Kompressor Sport
By MB Driver on 06/30/07 05:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Traded my gas guzzling Range Rover in on this C-230 Sport sedan. Great driver, affordable MB. Eye catching style...I highly recommend this car!

Good times don't last.
By azally on 05/03/07 08:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This was my first car. I'm in high school and even though I'm young I love and research cars nonstop. I have had my c230 coupe since 9/06 and it was my dream car until about a month ago. My sunroof cable broke and that was the only part that the extended warranty didnt cover. Less than a week later, my engine started shaking and the check engine came on. Took it in and there is a flaw with Mercedes and something in the cylinders can get stuck open and dont bet on your insurance/warranty place to cover anything. Cost for new cylinder: $5000. Too much maintainance, in shop too much, need a more reliable car so I'm selling. Overall, I love the car to death but not worth the time in the shop and hassle.

Honest C230 Coupe Review
By Mark J on 04/04/07 09:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have had this car for over 4 years now and still looks sharp. Paint has held up well and even where I have chips/scrapes very little rust. Excellent gas mileage (28+) for such a sporty car. Good performance and still feels 'solid' (no flex or gives) just like when I bought it. Very comfortable for a small car as long as you are not too tall in back seat. Trunk room is average for small car. Would get higher ratings but it's a horrible car in the snow. I got stuck once on flat driveway <1" snow. With all season tires still bad in snow. Also, car is very tough on tires, wearing them quickly. Car was in shop 4 times (fortunately under warranty) for computer and sensor prob.

Everything You Wanted for This Price
By Bumpy1800 on 12/17/06 10:04 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

No problems whatsoever. I get around 33mpg on long interstate trips, but only about 20 or so in town. I don't even try to go out if we get a few inches of snow. First winter, got stuck by my mailbox and the mail lady helped push me out, in 3" of snow. Tried top of the line snow tires plus sand bags and got nothing. This is the only complaint with this car, save the onboard computer controls could be a bit clearer, but I hardly use them anyway. Car is pretty, and 3 years later still gets turned heads when I pull a corner! From adults, too! Turns nice and tight, has a ton of features for such a "cheap" car.