2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
C230 Bag for not much Buck
By kompressorking on 09/20/11 11:35 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Recently bought my C230 Kompressor w/ manual 6 speed tranny. So far so good. It's just over 100,000 miles, 1 owner and care for... it shows. Also purchased and very extensive 5yr/100k extended warranty too. I've owned 72 cars (all different makes/models) and have been a BMW fan for ever. This is my 3rd Benz and its a pleasure to drive. 30+ mpg on the freeway @ 85+mph, shifts smooth and has decent power to climb freeway hills with ease, even in 6th gear. Traded in my Jaguar S-type for this and I have no regrets. I will say the Jaguar was a better looking car, but that's it. I'll update more as I add more miles...

worth to keep
By laautoowner on 07/03/11 05:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased this car when it was new back in October 2002. I was a sport package with leather n panorama roof and Bose system. Such a fun car to drive. Over the years I'd put on 130k mileage on it so far. This was my third car I purchased new. my kind of driving style both my civic and accord never made it to 120k... This 230k had been some cam repair done within the first 50k warranty. and replaced the OC sensor and some hosts last year. other than that I have no issue with the engine, transmission and the radiator whatsoever. It'd been such a reliable car. I'm going to keep this car for another 130k hopefully. and just do my synthetic oil change every 5k miles and see how far it can go..

A Love/Hate Relationship
By sportbiker1 on 05/07/11 19:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The 'Sway Bar Rods' go regularly. Fortunately, they go within a year so are covered under parts warranty. Fender liner fell off, CV boots replaced, heater door motor broke, signal switch broke, rear speakers rattled, driver's seat belt squeaked, rear set belts lock up at -25C, passenger seat bottom loose, rear door lock knobs come loose and the rod drops inside, headlight bulbs are $180 each!. Nothing serious mechanically though. Bit it is starting to rust at the same place on all 4 of the doors.

Love every thing about it
By e626 on 12/11/10 06:29 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I originally wanted the m. B. E350 but my husband said that we would be spending a lot more money on gas. So he got me the c240 and I have to say that I love this car we bought it used with 98,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable drives great, and I look forward to taking long trips in it. I previously owned a 2002 BMW 330i and I thought that that was the best car ever, but I have to say I like this one just as much. It has that luxury and sports car look to it, the interior is excellent and very comfortable. I am definitely going to buy another m. B.

Disappointed
By Steve on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Just got rid of this after 2 years. Soon after buying, back of the passenger seat fell-off, then, the engine's serpentine belt fell-off & left me w/o power steering & in serious danger of overheating. Then the interior door handle of the driver's-side door broke off, then the driver's cup-holder broke. Round logo inserts in center of wheels fell off. Right driver arm-rest/storage lid gets sticky & attracts a layer of grime. The interior door handles made of malleable plastic discolor & become mismatched with the rest of the arm-rest assembly & scratches and looks terrible. Then, I discovered RUST on all door bottoms & above the license plate. Then the a/c dampers began to malfunction.

Stay away
By NAVEEZEAL on 08/08/10 05:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have had many mechanical issues and the to fix the cost is an arm and a leg. I have spent so much money trying to get it up to par to no avail. Every time something is fixed another problem comes up!

Geat Car For The Money
By Mouse on 07/25/10 16:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Been a very good car (close to 100K miles now). The only failures have been the hood struts, pano roof, and the multi function display. Both hood struts and MFD are easily fixed by anyone with the slightest mechanical skill. Pano roof is basically unfixable because of the significant cost (and lack of utility anyway). Handles very well had has adequate power. A bit slow off of the line though. Very practical as it is a hatchback and storage is generous. Rear seats fold down which gives even more cargo room. Simple to maintain yourself (both A & B service). Get one used with the leather interior and the Bose sound system (sound is excellent). Avoid the pano roof if possible. I give it an A-

Worst nighmare please read!
By NEVERagainBenz on 07/11/10 00:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Bought the 03 Mercedes c230k sport sedan from dealership used with just over 50,000 miles. Had problems after two weeks and never quit. Engine dying, chugging, losing power 4 different times in less than a year, all suspension replaced, two rims bent, rough ride severe right pulling, sunroof broke, rear defroster didn't work, multiple check engine lights, transmission stuck or thumped occasionally, many sensors replaced. And there's still more! Had the car less than a year and went from 50-60k miles and dozens of problems and thousands and thousands in repairs. Will never get a Mercedes again! If you are thinking of getting this car please don't do it! I now have a Toyota and couldn't be happier.

An excellent car that holds up well...
By guile on 06/25/10 19:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

My car has been with me since brand new, now going on 142,000 miles and counting. Issues have been catalytic converter (under warranty), front headlights, steering linkage break, serpentine belt replacement (at 130,000 miles), leather interior cracking, faux leather on shift knob coming off, CD changer jamming, blower fuse melting and compressor breaking, and small ghosting on console display. Performance is decent for a car with 168hp. Gas mileage could be better but I drive like a maniac with quick acceleration so no fault of the car. I'm pretty satisfied with the car and feel fortunate I don't have the issues so many others have. This car was manufactured in Brazil.

It saved my life
By Janet on 06/22/10 19:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our c320 used with under 60.000 miles on it. I could have had a new Corola but why when for less money I could drive the cute little Benz? After nearly 2 years of ownership I was struck in the driver's side door by a truck. I was nearly sitting still at the time but he was going at least 35 mph. I was rushed to a local trauma center, with the damage the car took officials feared I wouldn't service. The airbags deployed, the door was pushed in about a foot but I left the hospital the same day with only a broken arm. The safety rating is accurate, now I'm a devoted Mercedez driver.