Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Unbelievable
By John

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I am 61 hears old. I driven hundreds of cars and worked as a race car engineer and also t dealerships and never, never in all that time have I come across a car with so many design faults and poor quality components. The many forums tell the story. Bottom line is that Mercedes tried to reinvent the wheel at every phase of the design in general, but especially with the electrics. The SAM system is a joke. The seat adjusting compoents, another joke. In fact any of the electrical systems not associated with the engine (except the stupid oil level sensor instead of dipstick!) are a joke. I would love to meet the chief electronics design engineer of thsee vehicles.

C230 Bag for not much Buck
By kompressorking

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Recently bought my C230 Kompressor w/ manual 6 speed tranny. So far so good. It's just over 100,000 miles, 1 owner and care for... it shows. Also purchased and very extensive 5yr/100k extended warranty too. I've owned 72 cars (all different makes/models) and have been a BMW fan for ever. This is my 3rd Benz and its a pleasure to drive. 30+ mpg on the freeway @ 85+mph, shifts smooth and has decent power to climb freeway hills with ease, even in 6th gear. Traded in my Jaguar S-type for this and I have no regrets. I will say the Jaguar was a better looking car, but that's it. I'll update more as I add more miles...

6 speed manual, supercharger, 1/2 power - 1/2 manual from seats. Metal interior accents (none of that boring wood stuff), factory 17" rims, pretty kick-a$$ factory stereo system...

Front cup holders are worthless, "auto-on" headlights don't activate with the fog/driving lights which means if you like using the fogs, you CAN'T use the auto on, really??? The Kompressor engine is a little noisy but seems to be the norm with different years I've observed/heard, The bright RED paint wasn't my favorite choice, but its growing on my. Besides, small price to pay for a manual 6 speed Benz...

worth to keep
By laautoowner

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased this car when it was new back in October 2002. I was a sport package with leather n panorama roof and Bose system. Such a fun car to drive. Over the years I'd put on 130k mileage on it so far. This was my third car I purchased new. my kind of driving style both my civic and accord never made it to 120k... This 230k had been some cam repair done within the first 50k warranty. and replaced the OC sensor and some hosts last year. other than that I have no issue with the engine, transmission and the radiator whatsoever. It'd been such a reliable car. I'm going to keep this car for another 130k hopefully. and just do my synthetic oil change every 5k miles and see how far it can go..

sports car seat my body won't shift left and right. roomy rear seats, quality Bose System, exterior paint still show room shine after 8 years, very very quiet ride, good mileage...

A Love/Hate Relationship
By sportbiker1

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The 'Sway Bar Rods' go regularly. Fortunately, they go within a year so are covered under parts warranty. Fender liner fell off, CV boots replaced, heater door motor broke, signal switch broke, rear speakers rattled, driver's seat belt squeaked, rear set belts lock up at -25C, passenger seat bottom loose, rear door lock knobs come loose and the rod drops inside, headlight bulbs are $180 each!. Nothing serious mechanically though. Bit it is starting to rust at the same place on all 4 of the doors.

Bose stereo is fantastic! Power and handling are great! Lots of great accessories make it a good experience every day.

Constantly breaking 'sway bar rods' is terrible. Each door is starting to rust in exactly the same spot" bottom rear corner, about 1" in from edge. A car this age with 114,000 kms should have NO rust - especially the way I keep it meticulously clean. Mainly because of the rust, I have to replace it now while I can. So it's a Lexus GS300 AWD. No more problems, but I will sadly miss the performance and bling of the Benz.

Love every thing about it
By e626

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 5A)

I originally wanted the m. B. E350 but my husband said that we would be spending a lot more money on gas. So he got me the c240 and I have to say that I love this car we bought it used with 98,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable drives great, and I look forward to taking long trips in it. I previously owned a 2002 BMW 330i and I thought that that was the best car ever, but I have to say I like this one just as much. It has that luxury and sports car look to it, the interior is excellent and very comfortable. I am definitely going to buy another m. B.

Interior/exterior styling, handling /braking, performance, gas mileage

NONE