So far, so good
By devbert on
2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)
I bought this car as a graduation present for myself in 2003. It was two years old with 25,000 miles. The only real problem I've had is a noisy power steering pump. It quieted down once I had the fluid replaced. I've driven it 88,000 miles over five years and have not had any repairs (although I've had the power steering pump checked for the noise. More fluid fixed the problem). So far this has been the most trouble- free car I've owned. Of course, the $90 oil changes are annoying, but they are only required once a year. The routine brake jobs (avg. cost $1,000 every 60,000 miles at a non-MB mechanic) are also excessive. But, that's what I get for driving a MB. It's been a good car!
Favorite Features
Sporty car with plenty of performance. The Trans Am I had at 18 was nothing by comparison. The best thing is the gas mileage. On numerous occasions, I've gotten 32 mpg on long trips going 80 mph. Now that the car is getting older, it still gets 30 to 31 mpg. It handles well and is fun to drive.
Suggested Improvements
The front half of the car looks great. The rear view looks pretty good. But the back quarter panels look bad. The rear wheel wells are too small and there is no noticeable rear fender flare. Widen the rear fenders (like a Porsche 911) and make the wheel wells big enough for over-sized wheels.