Good effort for new model, recommend
By mike in LA on
2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)
I like my car, having owned it longer than many cars in the past. I have improved HP through new supercharger pulley, put AMG wheels and 17" tires in place of the silly Michelins, but otherwise, it was well designed out of the box. It's fun to drive, the automatic transimission works well, and manual mode is useful. I like the nav system, and generally most everything works as advertised. I know resale isn't great, but there is nothing Mercedes can do about that. Resale comes from perception. But my first car was a VW Corrado, and this car is the closest thing to an upscale Corrado anyone has ever made. Would love to see AWD as an option.
Favorite Features
Surprisingly versatile with seats folded down. Nav system easy to use if you bother to learn how. Steering wheel controls and trip computer work great together. Glovebox has AUX jack for radio that allows use of iPod! (most people don't know this, but it's there).
Suggested Improvements
Cupholder broke once, awkward. Radio tuning clumsy. Rear deck/panels not same quality as rest of car (rattles in warm weather, cheap plastic). Front seat build needs redesign (same seats on CLK). Make noise, twice had headrest stop working. Fake metal trim squeaks, wood not an option in '02.