Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Beauty & the Money Pit
By raven11

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This was MB's attempt at wooing the younger generation to become MB owners. Unfortunately, once you get past the great looks and supercharged fun driving and look at what you got, you become very disappointed - cheap, ugly cloth seats, plastic pieces that break easily, cheap looking faux-carbon dash and frequent trips to the mechanic for problems they just can't seem to chase down because it's all computerized. Just avoid them. I tried to love it, I really did but it's just not reliable.

The looks, the supercharger and the panoramic sunroof!

Nicer detailing using quality components that don't look like a Kia! Reliability suffers. Confusing dashboard display and everybody's favorite MB gripe - cruise control placement.

Huge disappointment
By whatalemon

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This was my first and probably last MB. $32000 was paid and within 2 years the AC system was replaced twice. Electrical systems are a constant headache. Front right blinker stopped working and was redesigned (not recalled due to ongong failure)and then one day started working correctly again. Quality of the product is poor. I had hoped for an experience like my last car, a Toyota. Drove the Toyota for 200K miles. I would not recommend a MB to anyone.

Bose sound system

It is not manufactured anymore, so who cares. Hope for a decent trade in!

C320 Rating
By Davis

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I am dissapointed with the quality of the C320 overall. For example, the driver and passenger seat control module failed resulting in an out of warranty cost of $827.00. The valve cover gaskets need replacing at 55K miles. The driver's window switch needs replacing. The thrust arm bushing is cracked. The driver's grab handle needs to be replaced. This car is driven by my wife and only has 55K miles. In fact, last year we only put about 5K miles on the car. We have had 2 other Benz and this may be the last one we own. The quality lacks a lot to be desired from what we experience in our other 2 Mercedes Benz.

Size of vehicle, size of engine.

Extend warranty to 100K miles or 7 years. You expect more from a Mercedes.

2002 C32 AMG
By Slater126

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

Car is brutally fast. That wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise was the nature of the powerplant. Car is spookily quiet and smooth until you get into the throttle. Not anything like my edgy '97 M3/4 was. More like a Rolls powerplant as opposed to a sporty motor like the BMW straight 6s. Oh yes, the supercharger whine. It's there, and I love it. Ride is smooth and comfortable without being sloppy. I heard some complaints re the ride so maybe I'm used to sports cars? Don't know. It works for me. Ergonomics are great and materials are high quality. Gas mileage? Not so much. Ours gets 16.5 MPG average. Our '06 RSX Type-S gets 26.5 MPG in the same driving. Great car overall! 4 stars.

Engine, ride, ergonomics, appearance, build quality.

No AMG product has ever had a manual transmission. Why not? Gas mileage could be improved but I guess for the power you get what you pay for. I could use a slightly sportier exhaust note.

Easy to drive and manuever.
By Hanz

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Excellent manueverability and flexibility. Easy parking and driving . Quick take off and speeding when entering freeway. 6 CD player

GPS