2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
48000 mile critique
By DDCDDS on 06/11/05 10:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second MB, and I leased it new. It was fairly bulletproof for 3yrs, but has had lots of problems in the last year. Most of the problems are associated with electronic systems, the key, one touch sunroof closure, etc. A great car in many ways, but beginning to be an aggravation, so I'm glad it's leased. Dealer service has been exceptional--always a loaner- and a great track record in dealing with problems beyond their control.

New but Used
By Kenw on 05/27/05 18:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car about six months ago and it had 35,000 miles on it. I had no intention of buying a Mercedes but when I drove it I fell in love. So far it hasn't let me down. It has been flawless and I absolutely love driving it. If you aren't certain you want to buy one, don't drive one. It will suck you in! I worry about the long term reliability when the warranty runs out. I understand if anything does go wrong it is very expensive to fix.

Fun, Fun, Fun!!
By karencpnp on 05/21/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've had this car since 11/02, after waiting 4 months on order. Only regret - not getting a 6-speed - but I drive in too much rush-hour traffic for that. The car is fast, corners like a dream, and goes through Z-rated tires like mad. Integrated phone can't be beat - added on after purchase. Blind spots are easily adjusted for by turning mirrors out to the far side, which takes getting used to, but I no longer need to swing my head back & forth. Has been back to the dealer quite a bit for struts, suddenly dead battery, and electrical errors. I will keep it long after it's paid for!

Great Car
By Steven Schwartz on 05/17/05 00:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned this car over three years. It still turns heads. Great acceleration and mileage. Comfortable. Well built. Had a few minor problems, fixed by dealer on first visit. A/C controls could use an updating to a simpler system.

Always in repair
By c230 on 05/07/05 13:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

In three years had the car in for 15 repairs and it's going in again. Fun to drive, and gets lots of comments. Not worth it though with all the problems. Will probably never buy another Mercedes. Have heard of quality issues with higher end models as well.

Wonderful Q Ship
By C32 go on 02/08/05 02:28 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

My 2002 Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG is a wonderfully smooth and powerful car. To the uninitiated, it appears like any other C-class sedan, but those in the know understand the AMG badge. It is roomy enough to have two car seats in the back, yet tidy enough to park easily. Though not as single-minded as an M3, it is a lovely alternative to those who need 4-doors.

C240 is nice, not stellar
By Mr. RDV on 02/07/05 09:55 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Got my C240 to use mostly for commuting on So Cal freeways to work. Love its quietness, build quality, ride quality. Performance is tepid with the 2.7L V6. Wish I had bought the 3.2L V6 but cost was $5k more. Mileage is not a good as I thought it would be - freeway is okay - 29MPG, but city is more like 20MPG and combined is usually 24-25MPG. My friend's E320 gets same mileage and is bigger. Problems included lower front roll bar links replaced, crankshaft balancer replaced and transmission control module. STRONGLY urge you to buy extended warranty - cost of these three was over $2k in repairs (all covered by EXTENDED warranty that cost me $1k at time of purchase).

Good effort for new model, recommend
By mike in LA on 02/06/05 01:04 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I like my car, having owned it longer than many cars in the past. I have improved HP through new supercharger pulley, put AMG wheels and 17" tires in place of the silly Michelins, but otherwise, it was well designed out of the box. It's fun to drive, the automatic transimission works well, and manual mode is useful. I like the nav system, and generally most everything works as advertised. I know resale isn't great, but there is nothing Mercedes can do about that. Resale comes from perception. But my first car was a VW Corrado, and this car is the closest thing to an upscale Corrado anyone has ever made. Would love to see AWD as an option.

Bitten by the "Benz Bug"
By yoonstuff on 12/11/04 12:51 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

My 2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sports Coupe is fun to drive. It has great pick up and it gets great gas mileage on long highway trips. It is a very good looking car with a lot of get up and go. The car looks like it has no room until you open the trunk, lay down the seats and load it up.

Mercedes C230 Hatchback
By Mike in California on 12/08/04 19:29 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought my 2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 with 11,000 miles on it and have put 20,000 on it already. It is an awesome car. Its fast, fun to drive, and I have never been treated better at a car delaership. Services on the car has been free because of its warranty. I see no reason to go back to Acura or Honda. This car beats front wheel drive cars and is a truly safe vehicle on the road. It has lots of automation to keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road. This is the best car that I have ever owned!