Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 317 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Fun little car
By edge83

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Very impressed with fuel economy. Very quick, but had trouble with battery. Other than that was a great car.

Working my way through all 6 gears as fast as I can.

$87 oil change was a downer.

Buy an extended warranty
By Daphne

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

6 yrs old and 118K. At 5'2", I am very comfortable in it but my husband at 6'2" is another matter indeed. At the touch of the pedal she'll give you whiplash. Leather is sporty and stands up to daily wear. I'm gonna miss her. A superbly fun car to drive but please, please buy an extended warranty with this car. At 90K it started breaking down. Let me count the dollars. 1. rear main seal $1800 2. outside temp sensor (did not fix - $500) 3. CD changer $300 4. sunroof shade $99 part $700 labor 5. sunroof gears stripped $1800 6. catalytic converter $1300 part _$600 labor I loved this little car until it started reaching into my wallet for more than routine maintenance.

Love being able to slip into manual; great stereo settings, a keyless window/shade roll down feature, continues to run heat/air while you are in the store for a few minutes, car will check oil on its own if it is on level ground, dual climate control, rear seat sunroof

Love it except for the money I have to spend fixing it. Also, electronic display in dash fades out when it gets hot outside. Thank goodness for old fashioned speedometer. Requires 93 octane. A/C is kinda loud.

No Dream Come True
By Bernd

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This was my first car. I'm in high school and even though I'm young I love and research cars nonstop. It was my dream car until about a month ago. My sunroof cable broke and that was the only part that the extended warranty didnt cover. Less than a week later, my engine started shaking and the check engine came on. Took it in and there is a flaw with Mercedes and something in the cylinders can get stuck open and dont bet on your insurance/warranty place to cover anything. Cost for new cylinder: $5000. Too much maintainance, in shop too much, need a more reliable car so I'm selling. Overall, I love the car to death but not worth the time in the shop

Love it
By Cathy

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

For an entry-level MB, this torqy little four-banger takes off from the stop light leaving all others in the dust! So much fun to drive. Mine is arrest-me red with 17inch alloys.

The panoramic sun-roof. The gitty-up and go factor as well how the car corners and steers.

I would like to see wider tires. Less brake dust.

Beauty & the Money Pit
By raven11

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This was MB's attempt at wooing the younger generation to become MB owners. Unfortunately, once you get past the great looks and supercharged fun driving and look at what you got, you become very disappointed - cheap, ugly cloth seats, plastic pieces that break easily, cheap looking faux-carbon dash and frequent trips to the mechanic for problems they just can't seem to chase down because it's all computerized. Just avoid them. I tried to love it, I really did but it's just not reliable.

The looks, the supercharger and the panoramic sunroof!

Nicer detailing using quality components that don't look like a Kia! Reliability suffers. Confusing dashboard display and everybody's favorite MB gripe - cruise control placement.