Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

New but Used
By Kenw

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car about six months ago and it had 35,000 miles on it. I had no intention of buying a Mercedes but when I drove it I fell in love. So far it hasn't let me down. It has been flawless and I absolutely love driving it. If you aren't certain you want to buy one, don't drive one. It will suck you in! I worry about the long term reliability when the warranty runs out. I understand if anything does go wrong it is very expensive to fix.

Favorite Features

Styling, power, and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holder is almost worthless, and the back seat is quite small.

C240 is nice, not stellar
By Mr. RDV

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Got my C240 to use mostly for commuting on So Cal freeways to work. Love its quietness, build quality, ride quality. Performance is tepid with the 2.7L V6. Wish I had bought the 3.2L V6 but cost was $5k more. Mileage is not a good as I thought it would be - freeway is okay - 29MPG, but city is more like 20MPG and combined is usually 24-25MPG. My friend's E320 gets same mileage and is bigger. Problems included lower front roll bar links replaced, crankshaft balancer replaced and transmission control module. STRONGLY urge you to buy extended warranty - cost of these three was over $2k in repairs (all covered by EXTENDED warranty that cost me $1k at time of purchase).

Favorite Features

Ride, build quality, quietness, interior materials, roominess, luxury features, trunk size.

Suggested Improvements

More power for 2.7L V6, offer 3.2L V6 w/o bundling it with other expensive options. Make CD changer standard equip.

Even better than my 1982 240D(220K)!
By a. macree

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Dead solid perfect automobile. Five- speed auto "bat" R/L instant downshift- upshift. Man, my brake-pads are gonna last 50K mi. at this rate. Getting consistently 20-21mpg in-town, or with the occasional Houston trip, upwards of 26mpg. Only two problems in 32 mos.(Both warranty--no cost): 1. Replacement horn. 2. New left front turn-signal lamp.

Favorite Features

1. Accelleration--P/W ratio(0- 60=6.9sec. 2. Looks, cachet. 3. Fold-down rear-seats open to trunk. 4. Comfort, driveability(!). 5. A/C HEPA air filter + recirc. switch.

Suggested Improvements

1. Bigger, more prominent tachometer. 2. Option for larger wheels w/o screwing up speedo/odo electronics.

Another jewl from Stuttgart
By BMW Slayer

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Hands down the best car I've ever owned. Solid build quality and breath taking performance. The acceleration and tight handling allow you to jump in and out of traffic with ease. The cabin is comfortable and functional, though it could do with some more usable storage up front. The only unscheduled maintenance has bee a recurring problem with the lighting system causing it to burn out bulbs about every six months. Fortunatly the vehicle has auxillary lamps that function in place of the main ones when they fail, so the car remians safe to drive until it can be serviced.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, ride, handeling, comfort, awesome 10 speaker Bose sound system, and build quality

Suggested Improvements

More storage up front, eliminate problems with external lighting, less body roll in hard cornering

Not worth it, Just buy a Honda.
By AWS

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The electrical system in this car is sad. It has been in for service 8 times in 2 years. This includes 4 fan motors for AC, new control panel for AC,computer control panel x2, the dashboard display and 2 alternators. The door handle fell off and the glove box broke probably from the numerous times the dashboard was removed. Having driven a minivan (96000 miles), and 2 GM conversions vans-the last for 8 years and 95,000 miles I thought I would upgrade to a quality vehicle. Sadly, I was disappointed. I was planning on giving this car to my teenage daughter because of the safety features and her deep love for the handling, but it is simply too unreliable.

Favorite Features

I love the ride and handling. It is comfortable and fun to drive. Great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Put in an electrical system that works!