Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

C230 2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (149 reviews )

Awesome MPG
By David

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Today I was was getting 41 MPG on the highway and the trip was about 40 miles. The car is fun to drive and I don't feel too guilty when I know that I am going to get 400 miles per tank. The seats are supportive when going through sharp corners. Automatic wipers are very nice option. Panaramic sunroof works well. Cons: Wish I had a digital led for the climate control. The bass in the stereo should be stronger.

Auto Headlamps. Power memory seats. Mileage is high. Quiet ride. A/C inside of glove box.

Xenon headlights, rear wiper, digital climate control, In-dash CD changer.

Fun, Fun, Fun!!
By karencpnp

I've had this car since 11/02, after waiting 4 months on order. Only regret - not getting a 6-speed - but I drive in too much rush-hour traffic for that. The car is fast, corners like a dream, and goes through Z-rated tires like mad. Integrated phone can't be beat - added on after purchase. Blind spots are easily adjusted for by turning mirrors out to the far side, which takes getting used to, but I no longer need to swing my head back & forth. Has been back to the dealer quite a bit for struts, suddenly dead battery, and electrical errors. I will keep it long after it's paid for!

Flat cornering. The safety features - 7 airbags, roll-over calling with Tele-aide. i've used several times with a blowout. Excellent visability with mirrors adjusted properly. Looks awesome with dark tint on white car!

Over-engineered cup holder. More speed!

Always in repair
By c230

In three years had the car in for 15 repairs and it's going in again. Fun to drive, and gets lots of comments. Not worth it though with all the problems. Will probably never buy another Mercedes. Have heard of quality issues with higher end models as well.

The look of the front end and the way it handles on the road.

Build it so it doesn't keep breaking down. Fix hatchback so it doesn't keep rattling.

Good effort for new model, recommend
By mike in LA

I like my car, having owned it longer than many cars in the past. I have improved HP through new supercharger pulley, put AMG wheels and 17" tires in place of the silly Michelins, but otherwise, it was well designed out of the box. It's fun to drive, the automatic transimission works well, and manual mode is useful. I like the nav system, and generally most everything works as advertised. I know resale isn't great, but there is nothing Mercedes can do about that. Resale comes from perception. But my first car was a VW Corrado, and this car is the closest thing to an upscale Corrado anyone has ever made. Would love to see AWD as an option.

Surprisingly versatile with seats folded down. Nav system easy to use if you bother to learn how. Steering wheel controls and trip computer work great together. Glovebox has AUX jack for radio that allows use of iPod! (most people don't know this, but it's there).

Cupholder broke once, awkward. Radio tuning clumsy. Rear deck/panels not same quality as rest of car (rattles in warm weather, cheap plastic). Front seat build needs redesign (same seats on CLK). Make noise, twice had headrest stop working. Fake metal trim squeaks, wood not an option in '02.

Bitten by the "Benz Bug"
By yoonstuff

My 2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sports Coupe is fun to drive. It has great pick up and it gets great gas mileage on long highway trips. It is a very good looking car with a lot of get up and go. The car looks like it has no room until you open the trunk, lay down the seats and load it up.

Great gas mileage. Fun to drive. Lots of room with a versatile trunk and back seat.

My least favorite thing about this car is it's blind spot. Mercedes needs to do something about that. Also it could use a little bit more head room.