2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

C230 2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (148 reviews )
Great Ride But Fix Pull To Right
By ajay on 07/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

CONS - Car pulls to right. Dealer & MB have checked alignment and tires several times and still no fix after a year. Advise if you have similar problem via edmunds.com review or e- mail to ajt38ca@yahoo.ca. Similar sunroof noise problem fixed by dealer by removing roof liner & installing foam sheet and silicon. Brakes spongy & non-linear in feel. PROS - Good looking especially in Paprika with lots of looks from others; fantastic interior ambience with panorama roof & top quality leather ; excellent interior materials, fit & finish. Both better than A4 or X-Type. GENERAL - Ride is firm. OK if you are sporty driver, not if more comfort oriented.

By and large, a great car
By ACSiliconValley on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is a great car and a lot of fun to drive. Excellent handling, very solid feel, wide doors, surprisingly spacious. Also very good the controls built into the steering wheels. The only real down side so far is that the sunroof is very squeaky; I hope the dealer can fix it at the first service.

sick of Mercedes
By cheapBenz on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

In shop for warranty work @ 7000, 12000, 17000 miles and heading back @ 28000 miles. Factory tires wore out at 22000. Sunshade and sunroof problems. Noisy brakes. No power brakes upon cranking. Items replaced so far: front sun visors, wipers, steering wheel switches, vent grille, front & rear sunshade, cd player. I have a BMW 325 with 33000 miles, tires still in great shape, NO PROBLEMS EVER! When I asked dealer why tires were wearing so fast and so irregular, they stated this car will just do that! Would have traded long ago but obviously dealers know this is a CHEAP MADE car. Resale/ trade value is horrible.

C-Coupe
By C-Couper on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Excellent vehicle--great value for a MB! It's fun to drive, smooth riding, and fuel efficient. The service plan is top-notch--everything from oil changes, wiper blades, tire rotations/balances, belts, car washes, etc is included. I would definitely recommend the C230 Kompressor to anyone who wants to get into a Benz for ~30K...

Pleased, but not ecstatic.
By aftp on 05/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Overall this has been the car I expected. Mercedes level design and support. Several problems including an oil leak have landed mine in the shop several times. Several electrical problems also (headlight assembly, multiple bulbs, window motor).

Poor quality
By teener on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I purchased this car for my daughter to take to college. The intention was to get her a sporty fun car that would have the vaulted Mercedes quality and safety. I was convinced that Mercedes would not fall victum to the dreaded first production year quality issues tha other brands have been plagued by. Unfortunately the car has been a resounding disapointment. In the shop for repairs 7 times in 15 months is rediculous. The fact that the car can not be trusted has forced me to look into replacing it. This is not a car that I would trust with my daughters safety as she travels back and forth to college. I would not recomend this car to anyone.

Edmund's review under value this car
By hugobossmntw on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Visibility: 8 Rattles: 10 !! (Not a single rattle) Wind noise: 10 !! (This is more personal) Secondary climate Cntrl: 7 Build Quality : 10 !! (Every single control works on my car, not a signle scratch on the plastics) Cupholders: 6 (awkward a little).

Don't miss this car when you shop
By andkovacs on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Since 1991 I had two dodge stealths because of the qualtity, the handling and the winter performance (ah yes). I live in Canada ... Finnaly I saw this Mercedes C230 a couple of month ago. Before I never even thought about buying a Mercedes because of the old 20 years old look. Mercedes didn't change its look since a while. However this car is a beast. All new styling and handling. The quality and desigh of the inside perfect. I am tall and I have enought space too. The radio is not outstanding but it's still a good quality. I don't recommend the soon roof because even the demo cars had problem with. Also the heating fan is a little noicy.

Great Car
By slywun0467 on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I love my C230. I've had it since Sept 2001 and it has performed admirably. I put ~20,000 miles on a my car a year (up to 37,000) as of this writing and it's been great. Service and support of the dealership is top notch.

Great Car!
By Andyd987 on 03/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I wanted somthing somewhat luxurious, sporty, comfortable and partical. This car fills the requirements almost perfectly. My car is a gourgeous bright red 6-spd with the stereo upgrade, heated seats and handlamp washers as the only options. Even after owning the car for a year and one-half, I get almost as many looks as I did in the C3 Corvette I sold to make room in the garage for the Benz. I get 27 MPG highway and 19 MPG mixed, mostly city. My experience with this car has been trouble free. When my 17 year old every day use VW GTI expires this car will replace it and I am sure will last even longer.