2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Great car given bum rap by bad dealers
By Joe on 02/18/06 22:07 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is a fantastic car that is severely underrated because the MB dealer network is HORRIBLE. Stupid problems take 5 trips to be resolved. The two happiest days of my MB ownernhip were the day I drove it home and the day my warranty expired. Take it to an outside mechanic and you'll realize that these cars really are still built well. I only had a few very minor complaints with the car that (like I said) took multiple trips (an average of 5 each, really!) to resolve. I had the same number of issues with our 2 Hondas. The only difference was the way those issues were handled. This is great news for used buyers. Scoop up a well-loved example of this car!

Betzy
By bob on 12/21/05 14:19 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Best car I have owned and almost fun as a 356. Gas mileage 24 to 26 local, 29 to 31 interstate. Very neutral handling. Have had a couple electrical problem but it just gave a warning on the display and I had them fixed. Vision in reverse a little confusing caused by the glass between the tail lights. The 2.3 liter Kompressor is the most powerful and torquie four banger I have driven. Comfortable on trips. Got the glass roof but it started making noise. Dealer fixed the noise but wish I got one without glass roof. Love it.

Sexy Little Money Pit
By Virginia Donkey on 12/02/05 09:43 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased my 2002 C230K in May of 05 as a certified pre-owned, so it came with an extended warranty as part of the deal. The car has been back to the dealer 5x since May.2 of the visits was just small stuff.1 visit was for the radio not working when you turn on the rear deforst. Dealer replaced back window, all is well. 2 visits were for the A/C system. Dealer can't find the leak, but it does.Maybe I need a new dealer!. This car performs very well and is bigger on the inside than it seems. I have yet to find another car that has the same amenities that performs as well and gets the same gas mileage.Buy the extended warranty, you will need it.This is a car that you want to love but can't.

My car
By chesapeakegirl77 on 09/04/05 08:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I love it. The car handles like a first class car, it has pick up, and it looks good. It's a Mercedes Benz, what more do you need to say? When you're driving the car it will perform as you ask it to. It doesn't drive you. There's even nice trunk room and a spare that includes an alloy rim to match the others, not some metal piece of junk. Good gas mileage and comfortable seats for long drives that dont make you ache.

Vastly overrated
By mbnot4me on 07/24/05 18:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Having operated a C320 for three years, I now see why MB has become an “average” car in the ratings. It has been one small thing after another, and a couple not so small. After spending $750 for four new tires that did not solve a constant vibration, someone cared enough to see what was actually wrong and found out the car had a warped drive shaft at 18,000 miles. Of course, nothing was said about the tires. This is my fourth and last one (unless my wife changes my mind).

Highly Disappointed
By Claudia Valle on 07/20/05 01:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a reliable automobile. This car has lost more interior pieces than I have been able to keep up with. The electrical components of this car leaves a lot to be desired. I had to replace the alternator at 52,000 miles - the first time in my lifetime as a car owner that I have had to change an alternator this soon. This vehicle has really tarnished my image of the Mercedes Benz brand. When you pay this much for a small sedan, you expect reliability, quality, and decent peace of mind. Wish I would have opted for the Lexus instead.

Heck of a Mercedes
By ChuckA on 07/12/05 16:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had 2 BMWs in the past, and I find that the MB is more comfortable and rides nicer. It will not handle as well as a BMW, but you get comfort and style in place of handling in hard corners. I enjoy this car greatly and love the way people look at me while I drive.

Awesome MPG
By David on 06/26/05 06:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Today I was was getting 41 MPG on the highway and the trip was about 40 miles. The car is fun to drive and I don't feel too guilty when I know that I am going to get 400 miles per tank. The seats are supportive when going through sharp corners. Automatic wipers are very nice option. Panaramic sunroof works well. Cons: Wish I had a digital led for the climate control. The bass in the stereo should be stronger.

Great Used Car Value
By Tom Steele on 06/16/05 12:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We picked up an '02 in April of '05 with less than 25K miles on it. We had looked at a newer C240 wagon, but found the power a little lacking compared to the 320. I think the C-class looks better in the wagon configuration than the sedan. MB discontinued the 320 wagon for '05, but continued with the 240 wagon.

C240 is a classic understated sedan
By K on 06/16/05 08:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought mine new in July, 2002. Generally, with over 16,000 miles on it, my C240 has performed well, especially on long drives, where it is really in its element. The one thing I do not like is there is very weak pickup on it, which is dangerous if you need to merge or drive into traffic from a standing idle, especially for a U-turn across multiple lanes. Otherwise, the quality and design of the car, and its solid performance makes it an operational dream pleasant to behold. Mine was manufactured in Stuttgart.