Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Buy Lexus
By DONNELL

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I'm sorry but this car is junk. Replaced cluster module, rear stan, and engine. CD player now doesn't work, light over license plate has been replaced twice. Too many electrical problems for a vehicle that was purchased brand new. Quality is gone and I'll never purchase a Mercedes Benz again. My next vehicle will be a Lexus. I've had a lexus in the past with no problems at all.

Favorite Features

The handling was good at times.

Suggested Improvements

Quality is missing from this car. Far too many problems for what you pay when purchasing this vehicle. Too many electrical problems and expensive repairs at the dealer.

Fun little car
By edge83

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Very impressed with fuel economy. Very quick, but had trouble with battery. Other than that was a great car.

Favorite Features

Working my way through all 6 gears as fast as I can.

Suggested Improvements

$87 oil change was a downer.

Buy an extended warranty
By Daphne

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

6 yrs old and 118K. At 5'2", I am very comfortable in it but my husband at 6'2" is another matter indeed. At the touch of the pedal she'll give you whiplash. Leather is sporty and stands up to daily wear. I'm gonna miss her. A superbly fun car to drive but please, please buy an extended warranty with this car. At 90K it started breaking down. Let me count the dollars. 1. rear main seal $1800 2. outside temp sensor (did not fix - $500) 3. CD changer $300 4. sunroof shade $99 part $700 labor 5. sunroof gears stripped $1800 6. catalytic converter $1300 part _$600 labor I loved this little car until it started reaching into my wallet for more than routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

Love being able to slip into manual; great stereo settings, a keyless window/shade roll down feature, continues to run heat/air while you are in the store for a few minutes, car will check oil on its own if it is on level ground, dual climate control, rear seat sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Love it except for the money I have to spend fixing it. Also, electronic display in dash fades out when it gets hot outside. Thank goodness for old fashioned speedometer. Requires 93 octane. A/C is kinda loud.

No Dream Come True
By Bernd

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This was my first car. I'm in high school and even though I'm young I love and research cars nonstop. It was my dream car until about a month ago. My sunroof cable broke and that was the only part that the extended warranty didnt cover. Less than a week later, my engine started shaking and the check engine came on. Took it in and there is a flaw with Mercedes and something in the cylinders can get stuck open and dont bet on your insurance/warranty place to cover anything. Cost for new cylinder: $5000. Too much maintainance, in shop too much, need a more reliable car so I'm selling. Overall, I love the car to death but not worth the time in the shop

Love it
By Cathy

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

For an entry-level MB, this torqy little four-banger takes off from the stop light leaving all others in the dust! So much fun to drive. Mine is arrest-me red with 17inch alloys.

Favorite Features

The panoramic sun-roof. The gitty-up and go factor as well how the car corners and steers.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see wider tires. Less brake dust.