2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

C230 2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (148 reviews )
C230 Coupe
By mayday510 on 10/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Some minor problems initially (oil leak and rattles)that were corrected by the dealer within the first 7K miles. I've got 27K miles on it now and the car has been flawless. I ordered this car and have been driving it daily since Nov 2001. Great in the snow as long as you have four snow tires mounted.

It's a love/hate thing
By Love it/Hate it on 10/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I bought this car b/c I love hatchbacks and Mercedes. I love the drive, feel and performance of this car. BUT, I have had problems similar to other owners: tape deck replaced, fuel pump/tank replaced, front differential replaced, squeaky sunroof. The service is excellent but that's I'd prefer to not know my service rep on a first name basis. I will definitly buy another MB, but will consider turning this one in at the end of the warranty.

DON'T TRADE-IN
By J & B POWELL on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

OURS NEEDS CHANGED SO WE WERE TRADING IT IN FOR THE MERCEDES SUV. WE HAD ALL THE UPGRADES (LEATHER) IN, WHEN WE WENT TO TRADE IT IN THEY ONLY WANTED TO GIVE US$18,000 AND ONLY 7000 MILES ON IT. THEY DEPRECIATED IT HALF WHAT IT COSTS. NEEDLESS TO SAY WE STILL HAVE IT, UNFORTUNATELY A CAR WE LOVED, NOW WE FEEL STUCK WITH. ON TOP OF THAT THE MERCEDES DEALERSHIP WE TOOK IT TOO WAS EMABARASSED TO HAVE THESE CARS ON THE LOT. SAID IT WAS A MISTAKE MERCEDES MADE BY PRODUCING THIS MODEL.

i geess i got one of the good ones
By robsmx-5 on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

not alot of people are happy with the c230. the only reason i purchesed mine is because the dealer drop it $6500.00.m-b gave the dealer $4k because of slow sales.discounted it another $2500 , took it. have 10,000 miles on mine and have had no trouble with it other than having to replace the sun shades.it gets 33 mpg on the hwy.i dont care for the stiff ride or the way the auto shifts. and dont even try to put xm radio with the m-b radio.cd is about $900 extra if the dealer puts it in, and no other cd changer will work with the bose system. i would not recomend this car as many of the coupes are having too many problems.

Buy one if you can find one.
By C230K-6spd on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

If you enjoy driving a pure sports car but don't want to sacrifice passenger space, this car is perfect for you. The 6spd manual tranny provides peak power at any speed. It corners like a dream. The supercharger sounds sweet. Sometimes I put the window down just so I can hear it getting on the highway. Desite its small appearance, it fits two 6' tall adults comfortably in the backseat. After two years, $0 repair/maintenance cost. It's all covered by Daimler/Chrysler!

J-C230k
By J-C230k on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Afterall, it is a Mercedes

I want my money back
By Mustang95 on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

What a piece of good looking crap. We are in the process of trying ot get our money back. I have never owned a car with so many problems. Shock problems, electrical problems, broken plastic truck liner, sun roof sticking, rattles, We were looking forward to getting this car and now we look forward to getting rid of it.

vibration
By herb on 08/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

my 2002 c230 coupe is comfortable,[to sit in] fast and cool. quiet it is not. but the one thing i find unacceptable is the vibration that i feel from 35-40 mph to 60-65 mh. i feel the vibration in the seat, pedals, gear shift, steering wheel. mercedes has told me that it is normal, but ive heard no one else complaining about it. so am i the only one?

Fun fun fun~!
By rib123 on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Just got my baby C 1 week ago. Man, once I start the car, I don't want to get out. A lot of power for a small car, and the 2.3L eng. makes beauifull sound...

it's a Chrysler
By flipside on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

repairs so far - differential whine - replaced p Gears; rear seals leaked - replaced; 4 new shocks; OE Micehelin sports dead after 9000 miles; replaced computer; replaced CD; replaced cupholder. Interior squeaks and rattles will drive you nuts. Engine is crudely loud and exhaust note is tinny. Gear shift is notchy. However - handles very well, has good power and gets great gas mileage. My first and likely last MB.