Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback

C230 2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (149 reviews )

Love it!! Love it!!
By Matt

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I shopped around looking for a nice-looking, fuel efficient, powerful vehicle. Checked out Infinity, Mazda, Lexus and MB. This car has it all and won hands down. I can load up 6 sets of golf clubs, a dog, 2 kids. Plus this sucker is fun to drive. The craftsmanship is somewhat on the chincy side, but this puppy hums. Wish it had an I-pod hookup (but this is an '02). Test drive one, you won't regret it!

Favorite Features

Engine, look, drivability, room.

Suggested Improvements

I-pod hook up. Better craftsmanship (the sunroof broke once outside of warranty).

Just Right !
By Mark

I spent many months trying to find a fuel-efficient, 2-door sports coupe, with lots of power and room for 2 or 3 ice hockey bags. The C230 Komp was, and still is, the hands-down winner. I've carried mountain bikes, built-in ovens, televisions, and hockey and lacrosse bags in this little gem. The versatility, fun-factor, and sporty appearance of this car are hard to find in any other car.

Favorite Features

Hatchback and luggage room. Performance (6-speed) Handling, styling, price

Suggested Improvements

Needs better cup holders

Great car given bum rap by bad dealers
By Joe

This is a fantastic car that is severely underrated because the MB dealer network is HORRIBLE. Stupid problems take 5 trips to be resolved. The two happiest days of my MB ownernhip were the day I drove it home and the day my warranty expired. Take it to an outside mechanic and you'll realize that these cars really are still built well. I only had a few very minor complaints with the car that (like I said) took multiple trips (an average of 5 each, really!) to resolve. I had the same number of issues with our 2 Hondas. The only difference was the way those issues were handled. This is great news for used buyers. Scoop up a well-loved example of this car!

Favorite Features

Panoramic sunroof and six speed manual.

Suggested Improvements

The cloth interior takes a little getting used to. The texture is great, but the pattern is a little odd. And hold your dealers to a higher standard. They are killing the brand's reputation!

Betzy
By bob

Best car I have owned and almost fun as a 356. Gas mileage 24 to 26 local, 29 to 31 interstate. Very neutral handling. Have had a couple electrical problem but it just gave a warning on the display and I had them fixed. Vision in reverse a little confusing caused by the glass between the tail lights. The 2.3 liter Kompressor is the most powerful and torquie four banger I have driven. Comfortable on trips. Got the glass roof but it started making noise. Dealer fixed the noise but wish I got one without glass roof. Love it.

Favorite Features

Auto lights, diming mirrows, auto heat, rain sensor wipers, performance and handling, 6 speed transmission. Love it and Love to Drive it. Love interior and exterior styling except for rear.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a McIntosh audio system instead of Bose. Needs an I-Pod hook-up. Its backside could use a face lift.

Sexy Little Money Pit
By Virginia Donkey

I purchased my 2002 C230K in May of 05 as a certified pre-owned, so it came with an extended warranty as part of the deal. The car has been back to the dealer 5x since May.2 of the visits was just small stuff.1 visit was for the radio not working when you turn on the rear deforst. Dealer replaced back window, all is well. 2 visits were for the A/C system. Dealer can't find the leak, but it does.Maybe I need a new dealer!. This car performs very well and is bigger on the inside than it seems. I have yet to find another car that has the same amenities that performs as well and gets the same gas mileage.Buy the extended warranty, you will need it.This is a car that you want to love but can't.

Favorite Features

Front end, solidness in doors (it sounds safe). 8 air bags help too *Gas Mileage (ave 24mpg) *kick and sound of supercharger *interior room *Mercedes legendary safety

Suggested Improvements

They don't sell this car in the U.S anymore, but the car got better every year. I just happened to buy a first year car