Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

great car
By fun car

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

i bought the car a year ago i put close to 3 thousand miles an not a problem an the car still runs great

i gt a C230 at 192hp it will light the tires up with no problem i am on my second set of tires

more options for upgrades

So far, so good
By devbert

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought this car as a graduation present for myself in 2003. It was two years old with 25,000 miles. The only real problem I've had is a noisy power steering pump. It quieted down once I had the fluid replaced. I've driven it 88,000 miles over five years and have not had any repairs (although I've had the power steering pump checked for the noise. More fluid fixed the problem). So far this has been the most trouble- free car I've owned. Of course, the $90 oil changes are annoying, but they are only required once a year. The routine brake jobs (avg. cost $1,000 every 60,000 miles at a non-MB mechanic) are also excessive. But, that's what I get for driving a MB. It's been a good car!

Sporty car with plenty of performance. The Trans Am I had at 18 was nothing by comparison. The best thing is the gas mileage. On numerous occasions, I've gotten 32 mpg on long trips going 80 mph. Now that the car is getting older, it still gets 30 to 31 mpg. It handles well and is fun to drive.

The front half of the car looks great. The rear view looks pretty good. But the back quarter panels look bad. The rear wheel wells are too small and there is no noticeable rear fender flare. Widen the rear fenders (like a Porsche 911) and make the wheel wells big enough for over-sized wheels.

Never buy this car
By Melissa

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought this car with 50000 miles on it. I drove it off the lot of the whole sale dealer and the day after started having problems. It may be because it's used and I don't know how the person before me treated the car. I've had the car for a year and put over $4,000 into it already in repairs. As soon as it's fixed something else seems to go wrong. Not to mention the gas mileage is terrible!

It is a strong car, it holds up well in an accident.

Almost everything! I feel every single bump in the road, and I don't know how Mercedes made this car but they didn't make it very well. Not up to standards for a Mercedes Benz.

Selling this car
By Amy

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I got this car two years ago and loved it. But after 6 months everthing started to fall apart. My sunroof doesn't work. And the dealership said it would cost around $1000 to fix. My engine has had so much work done and has taken 5 weeks total. And it still needs more work. And the exhaust needs work too. This car is a money pit!

The look of it

Biggest mistake of my life.
By Jerry

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this used from a MB dealer with only 35000 miles. The moment I left the dealership, I started having problems with shaking, idling rough. It took 3 visits to the MB dealer in Florida before they corrected the problem. I have had this car in the shop so many times I lost count. Everything goes wrong with this piece of junk: Electrical system, door locks, instrument computer, door handle fell off, gaskets, seals, wheel problems, rotors, oil smells, AC going out, lights burning out constantly, etc. The service plan I purchased ($3500.00) ended up not covering most of the things and when it did, I paid $200 deductible each and every time.

The car is sporty and it gets looks, that's it. There is not a darn thing appealing about this car now. I despise it and can only wait till it's paid off enough to dump it on some other poor sucker.

No CD player, I purchased a C240 MB CD changer for $1000.00 and had it installed. Cup holder broke easily 3 times. Back seat area tiny, almost too small to be considered a 4 door. MB needs to recall Module control, door locks, heck the entire car!