2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Bang for the buck plus 3-star MB badge
By dc202nw on 10/22/06 08:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Before I bought my C230 Kompressor, I looked at other entry luxury vehicles. I found this car was the best entry level luxury vehicle at it's price point. I would honestly rate the C230 Kompressor with high marks even if it didn't have the MB markings on the car. I didn't want to drop a mini-fortune (for me) on a CLK or E-series. So, I bought the C class and I have been very happy. I initally thought this would be the first and last Mercedes Benz I would purchase, but now I'm considering a CLK or E class for my future car. I've fallen in love with Mercedes. It's an entry level MB, but it has many more bells and whistles than others cars in it's price range.

Amazing value.
By Greg C on 10/16/06 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

I needed a car that could get me to work in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and also handle periodic days at the race track. I cross-shopped the Audi S4 and the BMW M3. It was a close call, but I have no regrets picking the C32. Very, very fast, but not very flashy. Good MB quality and reliability.

Fun to drive but low reliability
By Andrew Lam on 06/26/06 09:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

For the last four years, this car was under warranty work for not less than ten times. The problem includes suspension, engine oil leaks, BAS and ESP lights on, engine back fire and requires new oxygen sensors . I would strongly advise potential buyers to purchase extended warranty before similar problems happen after the warranty expires.

I love my C230K, perfect for a 1st car.
By Suzanne on 06/17/06 18:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought a 2002 certified pre-owned C230K coupe and I have had no problems with it at all! It has new brakes and the tread on the tires is great. The leather seats look brand new, like no one has ever even sat on them! I do make frequent trips to Virginia, about 300 miles away, and I only use a half tank of gas to get there, so it's very fuel efficient. I have driven other Mercedes in the past,2002 M-class and a 2006 C280, as well as BMWs (Z3 and X5), and let me tell you, this is not a car to scoff at! It has a very nice ride. The lack of a CD player isn't a problem for me. I just use my Ipod car adapter, perfect!

Practical and Fun
By Jane in Laguna on 06/07/06 13:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I was waiting to retire to buy a car that is fun to run around in, but also safe. Then I realized that it was dumb to drive a stodgy old car while I still have to commute. Why not get that new car and enjoy it now? So I picked the C230 Komp and never looked back. It has plenty of cargo space with the back seat down, is very maneuverable - a plus on the freeway - and fits my 6'7" husband comfortably with the seat adjusted. In short, it is a nice mix of function and fun.

Best Looking Wagon
By NC Chris on 05/27/06 04:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used for $20K with 22K miles. Has Command system with Nav & Cell phone. Probably best looking wagon on the road. Firm but compliant ride. Handles well and stops on a dime. Averaging about 20 mpg in mixed driving. No squeaks or rattles. Very good build quality although some interior trim pieces could have been of better material. Command system a bit complex but not bad after you become familiar with it. Steering is a bit heavy a slow speeds.

Muscle car in Mercedes Clothing
By Johnec on 04/06/06 21:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

I heard so much about this car that I had to test drive it, 24 hours later I owned it! With a friends performance computer stuck to the window I pulled a 0-60 4.7 seconds and a 1/4 mile a little over 13. This car is grace and elegance inside and out (heck.. it's a Mercedes, what would you expect?) But underneath the hood and behind the tires beats the love-child of a Porsche or a Corvette. This car is a monster! Forget all the reviews find one and go drive it... but preferably at a dealership, I am afraid a private owner might cry while you push the throttle and his Z rated tires light up like the 4th of July.

Rock Solid with Slick Design
By jmatheson on 04/02/06 08:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

The exterior design and the Mercedes brand are what first drew my attention. This is an aggressive, muscular wedge of a car with thoughtful Mercedes design cues throughout. I've loved the safety features and it's a blast to drive. I expect this car to last me a while. I chose the brilliant silver exterior with black leather interior. Although the smallest Mercedes, it has all the looks of the bigger Benz. Just a few complaints. Lack of a CD player is astonishing in this day and age. Lots of brake dust on front rotors. Front cupholder is a little overwrought. But, I'm picking at details. This car has class and character. I get more comments about this car than any other I've driven.

Love it!! Love it!!
By Matt on 03/02/06 07:35 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I shopped around looking for a nice-looking, fuel efficient, powerful vehicle. Checked out Infinity, Mazda, Lexus and MB. This car has it all and won hands down. I can load up 6 sets of golf clubs, a dog, 2 kids. Plus this sucker is fun to drive. The craftsmanship is somewhat on the chincy side, but this puppy hums. Wish it had an I-pod hookup (but this is an '02). Test drive one, you won't regret it!

Just Right !
By Mark on 02/21/06 17:23 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I spent many months trying to find a fuel-efficient, 2-door sports coupe, with lots of power and room for 2 or 3 ice hockey bags. The C230 Komp was, and still is, the hands-down winner. I've carried mountain bikes, built-in ovens, televisions, and hockey and lacrosse bags in this little gem. The versatility, fun-factor, and sporty appearance of this car are hard to find in any other car.