2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Buy an extended warranty
By Daphne on 05/18/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

6 yrs old and 118K. At 5'2", I am very comfortable in it but my husband at 6'2" is another matter indeed. At the touch of the pedal she'll give you whiplash. Leather is sporty and stands up to daily wear. I'm gonna miss her. A superbly fun car to drive but please, please buy an extended warranty with this car. At 90K it started breaking down. Let me count the dollars. 1. rear main seal $1800 2. outside temp sensor (did not fix - $500) 3. CD changer $300 4. sunroof shade $99 part $700 labor 5. sunroof gears stripped $1800 6. catalytic converter $1300 part _$600 labor I loved this little car until it started reaching into my wallet for more than routine maintenance.

No Dream Come True
By Bernd on 04/22/08 05:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This was my first car. I'm in high school and even though I'm young I love and research cars nonstop. It was my dream car until about a month ago. My sunroof cable broke and that was the only part that the extended warranty didnt cover. Less than a week later, my engine started shaking and the check engine came on. Took it in and there is a flaw with Mercedes and something in the cylinders can get stuck open and dont bet on your insurance/warranty place to cover anything. Cost for new cylinder: $5000. Too much maintainance, in shop too much, need a more reliable car so I'm selling. Overall, I love the car to death but not worth the time in the shop

Love it
By Cathy on 04/20/08 06:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

For an entry-level MB, this torqy little four-banger takes off from the stop light leaving all others in the dust! So much fun to drive. Mine is arrest-me red with 17inch alloys.

Beauty & the Money Pit
By raven11 on 01/15/08 14:29 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This was MB's attempt at wooing the younger generation to become MB owners. Unfortunately, once you get past the great looks and supercharged fun driving and look at what you got, you become very disappointed - cheap, ugly cloth seats, plastic pieces that break easily, cheap looking faux-carbon dash and frequent trips to the mechanic for problems they just can't seem to chase down because it's all computerized. Just avoid them. I tried to love it, I really did but it's just not reliable.

Huge disappointment
By whatalemon on 01/06/08 01:41 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This was my first and probably last MB. $32000 was paid and within 2 years the AC system was replaced twice. Electrical systems are a constant headache. Front right blinker stopped working and was redesigned (not recalled due to ongong failure)and then one day started working correctly again. Quality of the product is poor. I had hoped for an experience like my last car, a Toyota. Drove the Toyota for 200K miles. I would not recommend a MB to anyone.

C320 Rating
By Davis on 11/23/07 12:17 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I am dissapointed with the quality of the C320 overall. For example, the driver and passenger seat control module failed resulting in an out of warranty cost of $827.00. The valve cover gaskets need replacing at 55K miles. The driver's window switch needs replacing. The thrust arm bushing is cracked. The driver's grab handle needs to be replaced. This car is driven by my wife and only has 55K miles. In fact, last year we only put about 5K miles on the car. We have had 2 other Benz and this may be the last one we own. The quality lacks a lot to be desired from what we experience in our other 2 Mercedes Benz.

2002 C32 AMG
By Slater126 on 07/19/07 11:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

Car is brutally fast. That wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise was the nature of the powerplant. Car is spookily quiet and smooth until you get into the throttle. Not anything like my edgy '97 M3/4 was. More like a Rolls powerplant as opposed to a sporty motor like the BMW straight 6s. Oh yes, the supercharger whine. It's there, and I love it. Ride is smooth and comfortable without being sloppy. I heard some complaints re the ride so maybe I'm used to sports cars? Don't know. It works for me. Ergonomics are great and materials are high quality. Gas mileage? Not so much. Ours gets 16.5 MPG average. Our '06 RSX Type-S gets 26.5 MPG in the same driving. Great car overall! 4 stars.

Easy to drive and manuever.
By Hanz on 06/03/07 22:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Excellent manueverability and flexibility. Easy parking and driving . Quick take off and speeding when entering freeway. 6 CD player

Great Little Car
By Dokfrank on 04/20/07 04:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Fun little car. I needed something practical but still a good time and this fit the bill. I have 66,000 on it and no major problems. It handles well, accelerates well, and does well on gas. Halfway between a Porsche 911 and a Honda Civic Hatchback. Great little computer to remind of every maintenance and when you are short on fluids. Automatic wipers and lights. All you have to do is drive, the car does the rest. Sometimes the wipers are fooled by repeating shadows but it is not a huge nuisance.

DC - 2002 C240 Review
By JJDC2005 on 04/11/07 07:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Great car to drive/own. Just bought new E500. Nothing like a Benz, nothing. At 5.5 years old, still feels tighter, newer than our 1 year old Maxima.