2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

C230 2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (148 reviews )
Bang for the buck plus 3-star MB badge
By dc202nw on 10/22/06 08:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Before I bought my C230 Kompressor, I looked at other entry luxury vehicles. I found this car was the best entry level luxury vehicle at it's price point. I would honestly rate the C230 Kompressor with high marks even if it didn't have the MB markings on the car. I didn't want to drop a mini-fortune (for me) on a CLK or E-series. So, I bought the C class and I have been very happy. I initally thought this would be the first and last Mercedes Benz I would purchase, but now I'm considering a CLK or E class for my future car. I've fallen in love with Mercedes. It's an entry level MB, but it has many more bells and whistles than others cars in it's price range.

Fun to drive but low reliability
By Andrew Lam on 06/26/06 09:54 AM (PDT)

For the last four years, this car was under warranty work for not less than ten times. The problem includes suspension, engine oil leaks, BAS and ESP lights on, engine back fire and requires new oxygen sensors . I would strongly advise potential buyers to purchase extended warranty before similar problems happen after the warranty expires.

I love my C230K, perfect for a 1st car.
By Suzanne on 06/17/06 18:57 PM (PDT)

I bought a 2002 certified pre-owned C230K coupe and I have had no problems with it at all! It has new brakes and the tread on the tires is great. The leather seats look brand new, like no one has ever even sat on them! I do make frequent trips to Virginia, about 300 miles away, and I only use a half tank of gas to get there, so it's very fuel efficient. I have driven other Mercedes in the past,2002 M-class and a 2006 C280, as well as BMWs (Z3 and X5), and let me tell you, this is not a car to scoff at! It has a very nice ride. The lack of a CD player isn't a problem for me. I just use my Ipod car adapter, perfect!

Practical and Fun
By Jane in Laguna on 06/07/06 13:59 PM (PDT)

I was waiting to retire to buy a car that is fun to run around in, but also safe. Then I realized that it was dumb to drive a stodgy old car while I still have to commute. Why not get that new car and enjoy it now? So I picked the C230 Komp and never looked back. It has plenty of cargo space with the back seat down, is very maneuverable - a plus on the freeway - and fits my 6'7" husband comfortably with the seat adjusted. In short, it is a nice mix of function and fun.

Love it!! Love it!!
By Matt on 03/02/06 07:35 AM (PST)

I shopped around looking for a nice-looking, fuel efficient, powerful vehicle. Checked out Infinity, Mazda, Lexus and MB. This car has it all and won hands down. I can load up 6 sets of golf clubs, a dog, 2 kids. Plus this sucker is fun to drive. The craftsmanship is somewhat on the chincy side, but this puppy hums. Wish it had an I-pod hookup (but this is an '02). Test drive one, you won't regret it!

Just Right !
By Mark on 02/21/06 17:23 PM (PST)

I spent many months trying to find a fuel-efficient, 2-door sports coupe, with lots of power and room for 2 or 3 ice hockey bags. The C230 Komp was, and still is, the hands-down winner. I've carried mountain bikes, built-in ovens, televisions, and hockey and lacrosse bags in this little gem. The versatility, fun-factor, and sporty appearance of this car are hard to find in any other car.

Great car given bum rap by bad dealers
By Joe on 02/18/06 22:07 PM (PST)

This is a fantastic car that is severely underrated because the MB dealer network is HORRIBLE. Stupid problems take 5 trips to be resolved. The two happiest days of my MB ownernhip were the day I drove it home and the day my warranty expired. Take it to an outside mechanic and you'll realize that these cars really are still built well. I only had a few very minor complaints with the car that (like I said) took multiple trips (an average of 5 each, really!) to resolve. I had the same number of issues with our 2 Hondas. The only difference was the way those issues were handled. This is great news for used buyers. Scoop up a well-loved example of this car!

Betzy
By bob on 12/21/05 14:19 PM (PST)

Best car I have owned and almost fun as a 356. Gas mileage 24 to 26 local, 29 to 31 interstate. Very neutral handling. Have had a couple electrical problem but it just gave a warning on the display and I had them fixed. Vision in reverse a little confusing caused by the glass between the tail lights. The 2.3 liter Kompressor is the most powerful and torquie four banger I have driven. Comfortable on trips. Got the glass roof but it started making noise. Dealer fixed the noise but wish I got one without glass roof. Love it.

Sexy Little Money Pit
By Virginia Donkey on 12/02/05 09:43 AM (PST)

I purchased my 2002 C230K in May of 05 as a certified pre-owned, so it came with an extended warranty as part of the deal. The car has been back to the dealer 5x since May.2 of the visits was just small stuff.1 visit was for the radio not working when you turn on the rear deforst. Dealer replaced back window, all is well. 2 visits were for the A/C system. Dealer can't find the leak, but it does.Maybe I need a new dealer!. This car performs very well and is bigger on the inside than it seems. I have yet to find another car that has the same amenities that performs as well and gets the same gas mileage.Buy the extended warranty, you will need it.This is a car that you want to love but can't.

Awesome MPG
By David on 06/26/05 06:26 AM (PDT)

Today I was was getting 41 MPG on the highway and the trip was about 40 miles. The car is fun to drive and I don't feel too guilty when I know that I am going to get 400 miles per tank. The seats are supportive when going through sharp corners. Automatic wipers are very nice option. Panaramic sunroof works well. Cons: Wish I had a digital led for the climate control. The bass in the stereo should be stronger.