2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
The Nicest Terrible Car I Ever Owned
By INVNTDTHWHL on 07/31/09 15:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this Benz used in 2006 and it was in really good condition and low miles. Ever since then it has slowly fallen apart. Mechanically it is decent other than the expensive maintenance but the fit and finish of the car is sub par. Everything form the trim to the cup holders to the seats have broken at one time or another. This is the bottom of the MB line-up and it shows. They really just cranked these out and spit them at the consumers without quality control. Makes me never want to buy a MB or any German car for that matter again. What a shame.

Good First Timer Benz
By Jesse on 06/24/09 13:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my vehicle a four years ago from the authorized dealer. At the time, it was an authorized pre-owned vehicle with only 42K miles. The first year, I had no problems, but the following year, I had to replace two door handles. They literally broke off. I continue to deal with computer program glitches on an annual basis which the dealer has suggested I obtain an updated software from Germany. I have also had to replace the engine mounts shocks only after 80K miles! Mercedes were once known for their durability and QUALITY ABOVE ALL. It seems like too much plastic for a Mercedes. However, it is a fun vehicle to drive, turns on a dime and great first time Benz.

Biggest mistake of my life.
By Jerry on 07/11/08 14:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this used from a MB dealer with only 35000 miles. The moment I left the dealership, I started having problems with shaking, idling rough. It took 3 visits to the MB dealer in Florida before they corrected the problem. I have had this car in the shop so many times I lost count. Everything goes wrong with this piece of junk: Electrical system, door locks, instrument computer, door handle fell off, gaskets, seals, wheel problems, rotors, oil smells, AC going out, lights burning out constantly, etc. The service plan I purchased ($3500.00) ended up not covering most of the things and when it did, I paid $200 deductible each and every time.

Buy Lexus
By DONNELL on 05/29/08 13:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I'm sorry but this car is junk. Replaced cluster module, rear stan, and engine. CD player now doesn't work, light over license plate has been replaced twice. Too many electrical problems for a vehicle that was purchased brand new. Quality is gone and I'll never purchase a Mercedes Benz again. My next vehicle will be a Lexus. I've had a lexus in the past with no problems at all.

No Dream Come True
By Bernd on 04/22/08 05:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This was my first car. I'm in high school and even though I'm young I love and research cars nonstop. It was my dream car until about a month ago. My sunroof cable broke and that was the only part that the extended warranty didnt cover. Less than a week later, my engine started shaking and the check engine came on. Took it in and there is a flaw with Mercedes and something in the cylinders can get stuck open and dont bet on your insurance/warranty place to cover anything. Cost for new cylinder: $5000. Too much maintainance, in shop too much, need a more reliable car so I'm selling. Overall, I love the car to death but not worth the time in the shop

DC - 2002 C240 Review
By JJDC2005 on 04/11/07 07:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Great car to drive/own. Just bought new E500. Nothing like a Benz, nothing. At 5.5 years old, still feels tighter, newer than our 1 year old Maxima.

Much improved than the late 90's Mercedes
By ejaz on 03/23/07 14:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have had a 1999 C280 since 2003 and this car drives so much better. The 2002 C240 model rides smoother, has a higher suspension so it does not scratch against elevated driveways, has a superslick electronic display of all the computer readings, and is roomier inside.

Oh Why?
By my last benz on 03/03/07 15:08 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Not even five thousand miles the fuel pump gives out. It's in the shop for a week. Then a month later the engine goes out completely. They say it was caused by metal shards in the fuel pump lines. All is good for the next six months then I open my garge door and the dam car is sitting in a pool of gas.

Pretty good overall
By MefromWA on 02/15/07 11:13 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my C240 in Sept. 2002. I have had problems with the right side mirror not coming back up after I put the car in drive from reverse. Took it in many times to have the problem fixed, all under warranty. I have had BAS-ESP error messages appear, and had a grinding noises in the brakes on a couple of occasions when coming to a soft stop, where the ESP light came on. (There was no way the car lost traction) The wiring on the back blinker light needed to be fixed recently, which was costly for the repair. On a recent trip to CA last summer, the air conditioning decided to stop working. The AC would die, then start back up after about a minute.

Don't Buy It.
By gusrey on 02/09/07 20:50 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

5 years after purchasing it, my wife and I are very dissapointed. There's many reasons why. Electrical problems. Excesive front tire wear. Front shocks won't last more than 24 mos. Lights are getting burned out. Engine stalls when sitting in traffic (idle rpm). It's a shame that all that hi-tech can be so high maintenance. But, there's hope, our next car is going to be a Lexus. Take that Chrysler. gGod luck out there.