2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
You've been warned! Don't buy it!
By RLee on 03/15/10 12:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

I bought this car when gas prices were $4 a gallon in Texas. It looked nice, drove well, got good gas mileage and had very low mileage. I thought it would be a great little car for my 75 mile daily round trip. I paid what I thought was a fair price, and my bank even offered to finance more. Since my purchaser, I have replaced or repaired the following (at 29,000 mi): brakes, alternator, radiator, blinker (and not just bulbs-housing), had major electrical problems, automatic rear passenger door, front passenger seat module (drained battery), CD player no longer works, sunroof just went out last week,drivers seat no longer works, steering control no longer works, another blinker went out . .

Sa-weet Ride!
By Celia on 03/15/10 07:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Great turning radius, easy to drive and park, and looks good. Great speaker quality. Cruise control--unlike with some cars--will hold your mileage steady through hills and valleys. Find a great mechanic who doesn't work for Mercedes, and you can keep the maintenance costs down. Solid and safe car!

I love My MB
By Ryan on 02/09/10 14:18 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

A great car but got some bad stuff Engine is powerful and awesome especially when you reaches 65 70 miles/ hour you'll be flouting on air! its cool classy car you would enjoy it if you can spend 1000$ each month on it because of the Very expensive original parts it got very good mileage on the highways it can exceed 250km/20L ( like 30mpg) on long rides . in the city it may range between 13 to 17L/100km top I face some Air Mass sensor troubles it AC compressor is went down when i spilled a drink inside the AC Oil change each 3000 km for like 50 60$ top .

Do not buy used or new
By Jake on 01/08/10 21:45 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a pre-owened, certified from a reputable Mercedes Benz dealership. Cup holder didn't last. Did the maintenance as suggested, needed tires in a couple of years and brakes. Then the srs light came on $1200 ti fix. 4 years into ownership the key would not turn so had to be towed. Found out it was the battery, but only after had to pay for a diagnostic test. Noises all in the shocks. 5 years into ownership the key turn all the way with no ignition, tried a new key at $200. Still having this problem periodically, next step is to change a chip at $1200 after a diagnostic test. $$$ I can go on and on, but not enough room here. Next car will definitely not be a Benz. Buyers be ware.

Still love it
By PFWEINTRAUB on 12/31/09 16:20 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought on ebay and got a good deal. Was not pristine but overall good. I upgraded tires to Michelin Hydroedge, changed plugs at 100,000 miles and use Mobil One. Car is still tight, fast, solid, fun. Looks good and gets up to 27 mpg highway. Wish I could buy a new one but they do not export C body wagon to USA any more. Big shame! Much rather have a solid used Benz than a new something less. Take care of them and they take care of you.

EPIC FAIL!!!
By randy on 12/11/09 17:16 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I owned this car for 6 months. it was good for a while until the compressor, traction control, stereo, moonroof, transmission all went out at the same time! otherwise it drove like a real sports car with extremely good interior comfort before the probs. i traded it in for a mazda6 and glad i did

Love this car
By pfweintraub on 08/16/09 17:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my C320 wagon on Ebay and it is one of the best cars I've ever owned (and I've had about 30). No problems ever, gas mileage never goes below 20 and even on short trips goes over 25-26mpg. I put Michelin hi end tires on and it corners on rails even on wet pavement. Use premium gas, use Mobil 1, change oil every 5k miles and it will run forever. It was not a cream puff when I got it either.

Love it "of course"
By of course on 08/11/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I absolutely love my 240,the way it handles,and the comfort of course I never have to sit in the back seat but for the dollar spent and the reliability you cannot beat this car and hwy mileage best yet 28.9 mpg and that is not doing 55.

Most Unreliable Care I Ever Owned
By Jim on 08/09/09 11:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the car with 12,000 miles. Always wanted to stall at stop signs. Took 2 years for them to find out what was wrong. Replaced fuel pumps on good will since warranty expired. New pumps whined and they would not replace them again. Coil spring broke, power steering pump went bad. Crankshaft position sensor bad. Rust bucket - car started rusting after two years. Front end noise. Traded it in cause I was tired of all the problems. Rode great but very expensive to own. Poor mechanical quality. Worst car I ever owned.

The Nicest Terrible Car I Ever Owned
By INVNTDTHWHL on 07/31/09 15:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this Benz used in 2006 and it was in really good condition and low miles. Ever since then it has slowly fallen apart. Mechanically it is decent other than the expensive maintenance but the fit and finish of the car is sub par. Everything form the trim to the cup holders to the seats have broken at one time or another. This is the bottom of the MB line-up and it shows. They really just cranked these out and spit them at the consumers without quality control. Makes me never want to buy a MB or any German car for that matter again. What a shame.