2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

C230 2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (148 reviews )
Sinply Mercedes
By sburrell on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Having once been a car salesperson I have driven quite a few. Dollar for dollar our C230 is probably one of the best. The auto transmission is a joy, all of the controls are right where you need them and after you aclimate yourself to the radio and other features the logic behind them is apparent. I'm getting used to the abbreviated rear end but my wife loves the look.

Mercedes Benz C230K "Car of the Year"
By Jigga on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love my C230K. I have the Alabaster White w/ leather interior and moonroof. The car handles real well and I love the power for such a small car. It accelerates like a champion. The only complaint that I have is the stock tape deck. Who's idea was it to make this stock? Why didn't they throw in a CD player?

Awesome!!
By Magic on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

What a sweet ride!! I love this car. It is fast and good looking. It handles like a dream. It is hard not to go on a highway and see what the top speed is. As fast as I go, the car always seems to want to go faster. The only complaint is a slight rattle noise that seems to be coming from the drivers side door at low speeds. It doesn't do it all the time which makes it a diagnostic nightmare. Other than that, I love the car.

No regrets!
By capt_blondbeard on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have been quite happy with this car, and have found no build quality issues of any kind. There are a few things I would have preferred they do in the design, but generally it's a fun, sporty feeling car. BMW has been making their 3-series less sporty and more luxurious, and Mercedes has been going the opposite way (now if they'd just make the AMG models available with a stick!)

C230 - Sauerkraut Burner
By duellist on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have enjoyed the C230 for 6 months and it is definitely one of the best cars I have driven. It is smooth, yet sporty. The C-class sedan is smoother and faster with the V6, however the sweet high revs of the kompressor engine is a different feel all together. The drive brings the boy racer out in everyone. The engines sounds so cool in 1st and 2nd gear up and down Yorkville. On the highway the kompressor engine really comes out to play. Passing was a breeze and torque was strong even in 4th gear. The C230 is very refined and provides all the luxury, status and fun for us Gen- Xers.

My C230 Baby
By AMS on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I Love this car!!! The features that this car has is worth the money, by FAR!

Betters BMW's hatchback in every way
By dmichael on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is what most 4 cylinder cars lack and this car despite is hefty weight can really pull you along in almost any gear. The thing you will notice most on first drive is the tourque in every gear, and the ride comfort and quiet cabin. It soaks up the bumps (even with the 17 inch wheels) and if you really want to blast through a turn it will grip it and rip it with the some of the best cars I have ever driven. Very good combination of relaxed ride and balls out handling. My car has been very reliable too. Only little annoyances to report after 5 months of ownership. Enjoy the ride!

Great Car for the Money
By ShadowNeko on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I got a white ext. with Oyster Leather with C2, C5, C7 and NAV for $32K. Get the leather seat and the Sunroof. The rain sensor is nice so you don't have to keep turning up and down on the wipers. Get the Sport package if you wants all the teenagers to look at your car. And get used to the questions and the stares by the by-standers and Toll-men, Gas-men. and not to mentioned (again) to all the teenagers! The Kompressor was great! No lag at all. Solid car for the money.

A Worthy Successor
By huntzinger on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I drove a VW Scirocco for 11 years, partly because I could not find a suitable replacement. The Scirocco has been gone for 7 years and I think I've finally found its worthy successor. I wanted a Teutonic vehicle comparable to the Scriocco, plus a bit more: equal utility & performance, less interior cabin noise (NVH), slightly more back seat head & leg room. Plus good vehicle safety systems (head/side airbags, ABS, etc). The other cars on my short list were the Audi A4 Avant, BMW 325i Wagon, and the VW GTI. Each had their pros/cons. But I found that the C230 was "rightsized" for me - not too big, not too small, and because I skipped buying all but two options, a good value.

German Cars Are Superior
By Samad Beg on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have had my c230 for a few months and this car rules. I make 90 degree turns at 50mph and the car doesent even squeak. The acceleration is great, and this car handles like a more expensive car than it is. It totally outperforms BMW by quality and sticker price. The panarama sunroof is awesome and the three spoke steering is really comfortable.