Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Better than BMW
By Chitapita

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Great car, fun to drive. I had two 3- series BMW's before this car and this is by far a superior vehicle. I think that it is more compatable with a 5- series BMW (and at a 3-series price). I will buy a Mercedes again and am encouraging a family member to trade a Jaguar in for an s-class.

Driver display very cool. CD changer is in the glove box. Everything functions at the push of a button. Great warranty service w/ a detailed report, everything thoroughly checked by dealer (numerous problems at BMW dealership). Love IR key..comes off of the key chain.

Cup holder is cool but doesn't fit larger cups. Console could use more room for storage of small items. Tele- aid had a few bugs (but were remedied by Mercedes, no problem since) but is still a better system than others on the market.

Where's your C240 Manufactured??
By Wheres your C240 fm?

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I see a distinct divide in the reviews for the C240 - and I can tell you why. The 2002 C240s were made in both Germany and in Brazil. I was alarmed one day when a friend showed me the plate in the car stating it was manufactued in Brazil. He was having a lot of problems with the vehicle. I couldn't understand why, because I have the same car and he bought his on my recommendation. I checked my car and it indeed was manufactured in Germany. If you are considering this car, make sure you buy one made in Germany, not Brazil!!

Dashboard controls. MB look, quality and reliability.

lose the cassette player.

Piece of junk
By ctpan

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Bought new and within the first week noticed a crack in the steering wheel. Dealer replaced. Then the brake light went out. Replaced. Then the license light went out. Remote refuses to work at times. About 3 months in, tried to back the car out on a winter day and as soon as I engaged reverse, the engine died. Should have been a sign along with the weird engine noises. Then at 18000 miles, a few weeks over a year old, the engine stalls on the highway. A plastic piece on the under side of the rear passenger door is also loose. The c240 is a complete waste of time and money. Stay away!

It worked for a year.

Better quality control.

Not Impressed
By Underwhelmed

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car as a present to myself. Who knew I would be so underwhelmed by the experience. Too many 'minor' repairs in the first few months (purge valve, wind noise because stuff around door jam not secure, and rear sun shade worked only when it wanted to). These things were fixed and now I'm experiencing other prblems! The back of the passenger seat fell off, the driver side door handle broke off (no unusual use!!!), and the gear shift moves when you change gears. And don't get me started about the squeaking brakes. UGH!!!!

One touch up/down windows

Improve the quality of all parts. For $32,000 I expect the car to hold up a lot better than it has. I'm trading this in and I won't be buying another Mercedes.

Perfect Ride
By kst823

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

We bought the car used from a MB Dealer in Boston, MA. After I drove the BMW 325i & 330i, I decided that comfort style & quiteness make-up for the less power. We love it.

Very responsive, quite and smooth ride. You enjoy driving it. Top styling in its class.

Cruise control switch could be better.