Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

C320 3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )

Finally gone!
By Vehiclist

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Wagon C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car was bought from a Cadillac dealership - it had been traded for a Cadillac. That should have been our first clue. Though fun to drive, at times, the car is extremely unreliable, falling apart around us, very expensive to repair, and one of the most uncomfortable luxury or near luxury vehicles I have ever driven. The C class is the epitome of over engineering, poor quality build, and a manufacturer currently resting on a mythical reputation. This was our families second and last Mercedes. We just traded it (for a pittance) on a Lincoln MKZ. It might not be German and for that, we are truly grateful. Perhaps the only thing to miss is the sound the MB door makes when closing.

Favorite Features

Solid feel; peppiness; exterior design; the sounds (doors closing; engine starting) - hardly enough to base a purchase judgment upon.

Suggested Improvements

Start over! This car is an abysmal failure on a grand scale. If you just have to have a Mercedes, you should try your luck with another model; I would not. I have never dealt with a more difficult car with so many problems mostly from over engineering (HVAC, seat controls, too numerous to list)-BAD.

Still love it
By PFWEINTRAUB

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Wagon C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought on ebay and got a good deal. Was not pristine but overall good. I upgraded tires to Michelin Hydroedge, changed plugs at 100,000 miles and use Mobil One. Car is still tight, fast, solid, fun. Looks good and gets up to 27 mpg highway. Wish I could buy a new one but they do not export C body wagon to USA any more. Big shame! Much rather have a solid used Benz than a new something less. Take care of them and they take care of you.

Favorite Features

Handling, quickness, deceiving interior space can haul much more than it looks like. Very short turning circle can U-turn in a residential street.

Suggested Improvements

Import C body wagon again. M-B is missing a good market segment.

Love this car
By pfweintraub

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Wagon C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my C320 wagon on Ebay and it is one of the best cars I've ever owned (and I've had about 30). No problems ever, gas mileage never goes below 20 and even on short trips goes over 25-26mpg. I put Michelin hi end tires on and it corners on rails even on wet pavement. Use premium gas, use Mobil 1, change oil every 5k miles and it will run forever. It was not a cream puff when I got it either.

Favorite Features

Multi-driver electric seats are a big plus, more space than you think in the back. I've put a dishwasher in there, hauled a stove.

Suggested Improvements

Not much. Just would like there to be a C300 wagon available in the USA (it is in Germany.)

C320 Rating
By Davis

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Wagon C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I am dissapointed with the quality of the C320 overall. For example, the driver and passenger seat control module failed resulting in an out of warranty cost of $827.00. The valve cover gaskets need replacing at 55K miles. The driver's window switch needs replacing. The thrust arm bushing is cracked. The driver's grab handle needs to be replaced. This car is driven by my wife and only has 55K miles. In fact, last year we only put about 5K miles on the car. We have had 2 other Benz and this may be the last one we own. The quality lacks a lot to be desired from what we experience in our other 2 Mercedes Benz.

Favorite Features

Size of vehicle, size of engine.

Suggested Improvements

Extend warranty to 100K miles or 7 years. You expect more from a Mercedes.

Great Used Car Value
By Tom Steele

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Wagon C320 4dr Sport Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We picked up an '02 in April of '05 with less than 25K miles on it. We had looked at a newer C240 wagon, but found the power a little lacking compared to the 320. I think the C-class looks better in the wagon configuration than the sedan. MB discontinued the 320 wagon for '05, but continued with the 240 wagon.

Favorite Features

Great power, whenever you want it thanks to the manu-matic. Auto down and up on all windows. Powerful climate control system. Feels like it's built from a solid block of steel, but handles surprisingly well.

Suggested Improvements

The bane of all MB owners - soft OEM brake pads. The dust is just ridiculous on the front wheels. You have to clean them constantly.