Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Slim & Trim
By Lee Schlough

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This car was purchased by my mother in law and my wife acquired it when she passed. Great second car, nice looking but lacks a good sized trunk and is a bit tight for a guy 6 ft 2. Great car for ladies.

Great car!!!
By Hamlet Cabrera

Really good car
By ildd

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Well, 1st let me say that I am 17 and this was my 1st car. We've had it since 2004, it has 56k miles on it, and we have never had a SINGLE problem(knocks on the beautiful wood inside the car). I like alot of the things about the car, but if your 6'1 it can be a little challenging getting in and out comfortably. It rides nice, it looks great with a couple minor upgrades(tinted windows, non-stock M-B rims) and it handles very well. The only thing I don't like about it is, of course, the engine and how it works. I've driven 6 other cars and this is the slowest in 1st/2nd gear, but it flies once you hit 3rd. It also doesn't help taking premium gas, while getting 16 MPG.
Gotta love it. It's a MB.

Rides nice, very comfortable once you get in it, handles very smoothly, a lot of features other cars don't have, even now.

Better Headlights, sometimes if you press brakes too hard it gives an awful smell, better fuel economy for premium gas.

2002 C230 Kompressor /Coupe
By johnny3691

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Do not buy a 2002 C230 Kompressor, I bought it new in Mid-2001 and now have 155k.

The following work are being done now and some work were done last year: Cost around $3000.00
Front Suspension shock absorbers
Front Right sway Bar link
Adjust wheel bearings
Left and right torque struts
left lower ball joint
Sway Bar
Front Brake Pads and Rotors

Maintenance average $2000.00-$2500.00 in 2008-2009.
Right lower ball joints/Arms.
The engine lights problem was very expensive to fix.
I spent $2500.00 for check engine light problems and the problem only went away for about 1 week.
The dealer simply told me to pay more money to replace more parts. I finally gave up on the engine light.

Performence, fast.

Build better quality parts

I can't even Lie about it..
By Mike in VA

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

To be perfectly honest I was going to leave an excellent review, Why? Because I need to get rid of this absolute failure of a car! But I thought and came to the conclusion: I can't even lie about this piece of junk, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I bought it used in 04 with 22K, still under warranty, within 2 months the transmission went out, they replaced free with a new one, not too bad right? WRONG! then (no warranty) due to the tranny problem (or visa versa) the torque converter and radiator went bad: $3500 2 catalepsy converters: $1100 ea 2 alternators: $1000ea 2 mass airflow intakes: $900ea 5 SETS OF TIRES AND 4 BREAK JOBS (with rotors), they don't give us enough room to list all failures

-auto door locks don't work, ac has been charged 3 times, twice after leak supposedly fixed $850) cd changer gone, sun roof. Gone. To the person (of course) that wrote they are getting 28.9 mpg. In this car? It cant even get that hanging off the back of a tow truck (it's most frequent position)

Truthfully, the worst car I've ever owned. Seriously, Mercedes is taking us for fools, they're selling us way over priced junk and pushing it as old school German quality and then their cashing in on ridiculous maint and repair costs. Proprietary to MB service centers only of course. Crooks