2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

C230 2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (148 reviews )
Great Entry Benz!!!!
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought a c230 Kompressor Coupe in may 2008 with only 65,000 for less then 8,000. Great deal on a great car. The car handles, accelerates, and stops flawlessly. I hit a deer going 75 and came out with just a dent.Had i been in a Honda or something of less quality guarantee the car would be totaled and myself injured. I got the car fixed and has been awesome and reliable. Maintenance is high- find a loyal cheap foreign repair shops with ex Mercedes Benz mechanics. worth the savings.

C230 Sports Coupe is fun to drive
By dannymurph on 03/21/10 19:56 PM (PDT)

We have owned this car for 8+ years and have enjoyed driving the stick shift every mile. Very peppy engine, yet over 30 mpg on the highway. Very good handling.

Sa-weet Ride!
By Celia on 03/15/10 07:36 AM (PDT)

Great turning radius, easy to drive and park, and looks good. Great speaker quality. Cruise control--unlike with some cars--will hold your mileage steady through hills and valleys. Find a great mechanic who doesn't work for Mercedes, and you can keep the maintenance costs down. Solid and safe car!

EPIC FAIL!!!
By randy on 12/11/09 17:16 PM (PST)

I owned this car for 6 months. it was good for a while until the compressor, traction control, stereo, moonroof, transmission all went out at the same time! otherwise it drove like a real sports car with extremely good interior comfort before the probs. i traded it in for a mazda6 and glad i did

great car
By fun car on 05/16/09 18:15 PM (PDT)

i bought the car a year ago i put close to 3 thousand miles an not a problem an the car still runs great

So far, so good
By devbert on 12/01/08 18:33 PM (PST)

I bought this car as a graduation present for myself in 2003. It was two years old with 25,000 miles. The only real problem I've had is a noisy power steering pump. It quieted down once I had the fluid replaced. I've driven it 88,000 miles over five years and have not had any repairs (although I've had the power steering pump checked for the noise. More fluid fixed the problem). So far this has been the most trouble- free car I've owned. Of course, the $90 oil changes are annoying, but they are only required once a year. The routine brake jobs (avg. cost $1,000 every 60,000 miles at a non-MB mechanic) are also excessive. But, that's what I get for driving a MB. It's been a good car!

Never buy this car
By Melissa on 09/13/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

I bought this car with 50000 miles on it. I drove it off the lot of the whole sale dealer and the day after started having problems. It may be because it's used and I don't know how the person before me treated the car. I've had the car for a year and put over $4,000 into it already in repairs. As soon as it's fixed something else seems to go wrong. Not to mention the gas mileage is terrible!

Selling this car
By Amy on 09/09/08 17:10 PM (PDT)

I got this car two years ago and loved it. But after 6 months everthing started to fall apart. My sunroof doesn't work. And the dealership said it would cost around $1000 to fix. My engine has had so much work done and has taken 5 weeks total. And it still needs more work. And the exhaust needs work too. This car is a money pit!

It's been real good
By Brian S on 07/09/08 16:01 PM (PDT)

The car is coming up on seven years old. In those years it has been quite reliable. The supercharged engine gets 32-35 MPG on the highway, but still has great pick up when you need to punch up acceleration. City MPG suffers a bit in stop & go traffic. I am 6' 1" and find there is plenty of leg and head room. The hatch is great - too bad Americans do not favor this handy body style.

Love My Little Car
By BarbaraTina on 06/26/08 15:01 PM (PDT)

My experience owning a C230 has been delightful. I enjoy the spacious interior especially the fact that even someone with long legs may ride comfortably in the backseat. The sunroof has been such a pleasure. Also the glass top over the rear passengers seats make it unique. The car is very maneouverable and easy to fit into almost any parking space. The option to go from automatic to manual is fun. I appreciate the safe design of the car and the high crash test rating. The car is fun, safe and such a pleasure to drive. The only thing I see they could improve upon would be the comfortability of the seats. They feel too hard and flat. The actual seats leave alot to be desired.