2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG - Consumer Reviews

C32 AMG 3.2L V6 Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (30 reviews )
Problems, problems, followed by 10 grand
By Benznogood on 06/28/10 23:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

This car is an absolute mess. 3 Months and thousands of dollars later I couldn't have bought a bigger lemon. Its falling apart. Supercharger out. ECU out. Having a legal battle with Mercedes over warranty work that should be done, but its not. I'm not so much mad at the car. The Mercedes corporation is awful. What a bunch of no good tightwads. Its has been nothing but an absolute nightmare dealing with them. They refuse to honor their warranty. The car rattles, electronics go out. Oh and to fix ALL the problems they have the audacity to ask for ten thousand dollars. No way. I hope everyone else has a better experience.

You've been warned! Don't buy it!
By RLee on 03/15/10 12:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

I bought this car when gas prices were $4 a gallon in Texas. It looked nice, drove well, got good gas mileage and had very low mileage. I thought it would be a great little car for my 75 mile daily round trip. I paid what I thought was a fair price, and my bank even offered to finance more. Since my purchaser, I have replaced or repaired the following (at 29,000 mi): brakes, alternator, radiator, blinker (and not just bulbs-housing), had major electrical problems, automatic rear passenger door, front passenger seat module (drained battery), CD player no longer works, sunroof just went out last week,drivers seat no longer works, steering control no longer works, another blinker went out . .

2002 C32 AMG
By Slater126 on 07/19/07 11:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

Car is brutally fast. That wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise was the nature of the powerplant. Car is spookily quiet and smooth until you get into the throttle. Not anything like my edgy '97 M3/4 was. More like a Rolls powerplant as opposed to a sporty motor like the BMW straight 6s. Oh yes, the supercharger whine. It's there, and I love it. Ride is smooth and comfortable without being sloppy. I heard some complaints re the ride so maybe I'm used to sports cars? Don't know. It works for me. Ergonomics are great and materials are high quality. Gas mileage? Not so much. Ours gets 16.5 MPG average. Our '06 RSX Type-S gets 26.5 MPG in the same driving. Great car overall! 4 stars.

Spare a trannie?
By ed buhl on 02/19/07 14:27 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

This rocket ship has been nothing but trouble. Turbo chirping, replace torque converter, replace trannie (68000), replace trannie computer, replace motor on driver's seat. This car has had factory service and was never abused, just driven. Would never own another Benz. Look forward to turning it in at lease end. It's in the shop now. Maybe they should just keep it !

Wolf in sheep's clothing
By JP on 02/13/07 17:36 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

I ended up selecting a near-mint '02 C32 over an equally pristine '04 M3 SMG after driving both back-to- back...twice. The C32 is such an interesting car. It's interior space is very functional seating 4 easily and comfortably. It's styling. Just technical enough and different enough to set it apart. And finally, it's performance is eye opening if you pay attention - what I mean by that is the super-charged 3.2 is sooooo much smoother than the M powerplant in the M3, that unless you are truly aware of what's going on, you almost take it for granted. I would have given it a 10 in every category except it's features are almost overwhelming. The fuel economy scores low - that's my foot.

Amazing value.
By Greg C on 10/16/06 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

I needed a car that could get me to work in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and also handle periodic days at the race track. I cross-shopped the Audi S4 and the BMW M3. It was a close call, but I have no regrets picking the C32. Very, very fast, but not very flashy. Good MB quality and reliability.

Muscle car in Mercedes Clothing
By Johnec on 04/06/06 21:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

I heard so much about this car that I had to test drive it, 24 hours later I owned it! With a friends performance computer stuck to the window I pulled a 0-60 4.7 seconds and a 1/4 mile a little over 13. This car is grace and elegance inside and out (heck.. it's a Mercedes, what would you expect?) But underneath the hood and behind the tires beats the love-child of a Porsche or a Corvette. This car is a monster! Forget all the reviews find one and go drive it... but preferably at a dealership, I am afraid a private owner might cry while you push the throttle and his Z rated tires light up like the 4th of July.

Wonderful Q Ship
By C32 go on 02/08/05 02:28 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

My 2002 Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG is a wonderfully smooth and powerful car. To the uninitiated, it appears like any other C-class sedan, but those in the know understand the AMG badge. It is roomy enough to have two car seats in the back, yet tidy enough to park easily. Though not as single-minded as an M3, it is a lovely alternative to those who need 4-doors.

Practical Total Performance
By Porsche Owner on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

Keeps getting better with age! Awesome to drive for long periods - no fatigue due to excellent seats and suspension calibration for high speed driving. Acceleration is better than advertised - M3s beware!! And the brakes are eye popping. Not to say this vehicle is not without shortcomings, but the shortcomings are relatively minor.

Fun on the road at last!
By Reuben on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

After years of the "family" card, I decided to purchase this beast of the road. I havent been disappointed in one thing as of yet. It is a "good day" car for me, It has seen rain maybe once so the milage is pretty low after 2 years (9K). It is actually quite comfortable on long trips and looks great!