Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG

C32 AMG 3.2L V6 Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (30 reviews )

Problems, problems, followed by 10 grand
By Benznogood

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

This car is an absolute mess. 3 Months and thousands of dollars later I couldn't have bought a bigger lemon. Its falling apart. Supercharger out. ECU out. Having a legal battle with Mercedes over warranty work that should be done, but its not. I'm not so much mad at the car. The Mercedes corporation is awful. What a bunch of no good tightwads. Its has been nothing but an absolute nightmare dealing with them. They refuse to honor their warranty. The car rattles, electronics go out. Oh and to fix ALL the problems they have the audacity to ask for ten thousand dollars. No way. I hope everyone else has a better experience.

Favorite Features

Speed when sc works.

Suggested Improvements

almost everything.

You've been warned! Don't buy it!
By RLee

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

I bought this car when gas prices were $4 a gallon in Texas. It looked nice, drove well, got good gas mileage and had very low mileage. I thought it would be a great little car for my 75 mile daily round trip. I paid what I thought was a fair price, and my bank even offered to finance more. Since my purchaser, I have replaced or repaired the following (at 29,000 mi): brakes, alternator, radiator, blinker (and not just bulbs-housing), had major electrical problems, automatic rear passenger door, front passenger seat module (drained battery), CD player no longer works, sunroof just went out last week,drivers seat no longer works, steering control no longer works, another blinker went out . .

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage; well appointed interior and nice exterior syling. Still look nice, but nothing works well!

Suggested Improvements

Everything mechanical and electrical. I'm not stuck with a car that has another 2 years of payments and is costing me nearly $1,000 every month or two in repairs. How can I get rid of it? I could have had a brand new, under warranty dependable car for what I am paying for this piece of junk.

2002 C32 AMG
By Slater126

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

Car is brutally fast. That wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise was the nature of the powerplant. Car is spookily quiet and smooth until you get into the throttle. Not anything like my edgy '97 M3/4 was. More like a Rolls powerplant as opposed to a sporty motor like the BMW straight 6s. Oh yes, the supercharger whine. It's there, and I love it. Ride is smooth and comfortable without being sloppy. I heard some complaints re the ride so maybe I'm used to sports cars? Don't know. It works for me. Ergonomics are great and materials are high quality. Gas mileage? Not so much. Ours gets 16.5 MPG average. Our '06 RSX Type-S gets 26.5 MPG in the same driving. Great car overall! 4 stars.

Favorite Features

Engine, ride, ergonomics, appearance, build quality.

Suggested Improvements

No AMG product has ever had a manual transmission. Why not? Gas mileage could be improved but I guess for the power you get what you pay for. I could use a slightly sportier exhaust note.

Spare a trannie?
By ed buhl

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

This rocket ship has been nothing but trouble. Turbo chirping, replace torque converter, replace trannie (68000), replace trannie computer, replace motor on driver's seat. This car has had factory service and was never abused, just driven. Would never own another Benz. Look forward to turning it in at lease end. It's in the shop now. Maybe they should just keep it !

Favorite Features

Lack of reliability takes all the fun away

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind the vehicle when there are clearly problems that are serious repair issues that are not acceptable in a car of this quality

Wolf in sheep's clothing
By JP

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C32 AMG C32 AMG 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

I ended up selecting a near-mint '02 C32 over an equally pristine '04 M3 SMG after driving both back-to- back...twice. The C32 is such an interesting car. It's interior space is very functional seating 4 easily and comfortably. It's styling. Just technical enough and different enough to set it apart. And finally, it's performance is eye opening if you pay attention - what I mean by that is the super-charged 3.2 is sooooo much smoother than the M powerplant in the M3, that unless you are truly aware of what's going on, you almost take it for granted. I would have given it a 10 in every category except it's features are almost overwhelming. The fuel economy scores low - that's my foot.

Favorite Features

Engine. Transmission. Brakes. Seating. Leather. Fit and finish. All top notch.

Suggested Improvements

More intuitive controls. Slight more growl in the exhaust note.