2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Review: Mercedes Benz C240 (6M)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Review

Mercedes Benz C240 (6M)
By asimesen on

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

The only reason I bought this car was it came with a 6-speed manual transmission, the only MB sold with a manual in the USA in 2002,and it was the smallest MB to fit a family of 4-5. The car has excellent ride for it size and fun to drive with 6-speed manual. It has more power than I need with a small V-6. I must say built quality is poor, especially when it comes to electrical components. We had all kinds of problems with those dummy keys, they had to change several times; one time the trunk would not open for weeks until the dealer ordered parts and fixed it; and now the radio is not working properly. If I have to buy another car of this size again, it will be a BMW 3 series.

Comfortable ride, smooth manual transmission, good gas mileage, and exterior styling.

For God's sake, make it simple and build a quality car like Toyota does. The owner's manual is an encyclopedia, close to 400 pages. Digital controls are a maze. I have to spend 30 minutes to figure out how to set the clock, which used to take 10 seconds in my old Mercedes 300D.