2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:
Great car with only 2 design flaws
By nbrray on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I was one of the first owners of the redesigned C-class. It is a sharp looking car and I get lots of compliments on the style. Mercedes had some original kinks, but they have worked them out.

Disappointed in Chicago
By Disappointed Chicago on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car after driving a Volvo for 5years - the 850Glt. Went for the safety (eight airbags) and class of driving a MB product. I thought I was taking a step up...I was very mistaken. First the seat comfort does not nearly compare to the Volvo. Second the interior room - particularly the backseats - is terrible. Engine performance for price is lackluster. The Volvo850 GLT w/ turbo was the same price (year-on- year) and lacked about 30hbp. One did not feel confident accelerating onto expressways - particulalrly the Eisonhower and Eden's in Chicago...The C240 is not worth it - PERIOD.

Our Best Car Yet
By JimiB on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We have had our C320 for almost two years now and we are very pleased. We have been to the dealership once so far for the first routine service included in the price of the car. That is it! I think the build quality is very high. This is our first MB but have had alot of other "luxury" type cars in the past to compare. It is that right mix between luxury and sport. Before buying we test drove a BMW 330ci, Lexus IS300, Lexus ES300, Acura TL, an Infinity, an Audi and last the C320 all on the same day. We were 1 block down the road and my wife said "this is the one". Overall very pleased.

Disappointed
By 50 Share on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

This is my third MB and my biggest disappointment with the reliability/quality. The car has been in for warranty service approximately 8 times for electrical issues, new speedometer, key problems, radio reception, new back window, door lock problems, faulty fuel gauge, mirrors that readjust themselves, ticking noise in the front engine compartment and it now needs to go back for a rear windshade that won't turn off, squeaking shocks and strange noise from transmission. It's unfortunate that such a comfortable and beautifully styled car has all of these annoying problems. This could be my last MB.

Don't Buy
By CJA on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to a MB. Big mistake. C240 was cheapest of the fleet but this car still cost $39,000 and has been nothing but trouble. Constant electrical problems. Car has actually died at stop lights. We were going to start with the C240 and move up to and E- Class. We are now looking at the BMW 5 series.

great car!
By jeremykilpatrick on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent all around. There is no way I could be more satisfied with this car. For the price, it is an absolute dream. I would never consider owning a different vehicle.

What could have been.....
By gimmeabreak on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My first Mercedes-a HUGE disappointment. Greatlooking car that drives beautifully but..I feel thatI paid for a Mercedes and got a Dodge or Yugo.The problem-build Quality!The car has only 18,000 miles on it and the list of problems is way too long:Squeaky seats, moonroof malfunctions, software problems, hood swicthes fell off,brakes(rotors and pads had to be replaced at 7000 miles),defective electronics, transmission problems,replaced SOS system,continuous electronic door lock problems.This a comfortable, great driving car that but it is NOT what I expected from Mercedes and it is NOT worth the money.It will be a long time before I look at another Mercedes.

C240 Disappointed...
By Tom114 on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Biggest complaint has been poor radio reception. Lots of static on FM and some stations do not come in at all. Other trips to the dealer have been, rear sunshade stopped working, front end bushings squeaked, both front indicators malfunctioned, front seats squeaked and drivers seat was very spongy and felt loose on turns. Also Sunroof regularly needs the resyncing procedure, My C240 has got the Mercedes Benz bug out of my system. Just wish MB could get the bugs out of their system!

Is this a MB or a BM?
By mshoe on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

all the articles that say MB reliabilty has gone down are correct. it's also too small of a car for the price.

Caution DO NOT BUY!
By mabklb on 11/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

The vehicle has been in the shop for warranty repair twice a month since purchased - between electrical problems, sensor failures, integrated telephone failures (on 3rd phone), and overall lack of response from MB - RUN from purchasing one of these lemons! It basically boils down to one thing - MB no longer holds the reliability it once prided itself for manufacturing. They have gone the path of "Chrysler" reliability and quality.